"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #31
Head Chef

Saw the movie this afternoon and thought it was great. It's not just about the cooking or the cookbook but about two parallel lives lived 40 years apart. Consequently, I think non-foodies and other adults who don't know a spatula from a spoon would enjoy it. I guess you could classify it as a "chick flick," but I think it's more intellectual than that. The acting is superb -- Meryl Strep truly channels Julia Child in yet another amazing performance. The rest of the cast is also great, and the scenes of Paris are magnificent.

As for the books, I've had both Volumes 1 & 2 for many years and have made a number of dishes from them. They're not the easiest recipes in the world, but they are all very good to superb. I also have her more recent tome, The Way to Cook, which I would recommend over the Mastering volumes -- it's more practical, easier to follow, and more modern in its approach to food and in the recipes presented. Still, IMHO any good collection should include both volumes of Mastering the Art of French Cooking if for no other reason than historical perspective.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

It may be considered a chick flick but at the session I went to the audience was at least 50% men and most every guy I have talked to that has seen it has had favorable comments.

So guys, take your lady to this movie and win more than just one favor.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

I checked with my wife about Martha "throwing" sugar to make the fine wrapping for the cream puffs and she confirmed it. I remember we both had to pick our jaws off the floor at what she did and could not imagine anyone but here doing this.

Your method sounds much much safer and more sane. But Martha is a show person and was not confined to safe or sane at the time. I would love to find that show again as it was unbelievable (but the result was incredible).
Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiwan View Post
I checked with my wife about Martha "throwing" sugar to make the fine wrapping for the cream puffs and she confirmed it. I remember we both had to pick our jaws off the floor at what she did and could not imagine anyone but here doing this.

Your method sounds much much safer and more sane. But Martha is a show person and was not confined to safe or sane at the time. I would love to find that show again as it was unbelievable (but the result was incredible).
She may very well have "thrown" the spun sugar on the show (although that definitely IS highly unsafe & definitely NOT a recommended procedure). I never saw her make a Crocembouche on tv - just followed the recipe in one of her early cookbooks - published long before she became a real diva.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Julia Child was a guest once when Martha was doing something like that. She looked rather bemused and said, "I would have never thought to do that.".
Old 09-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

More...

Chiffonade & Co.

I think I mentioned before that Julia Child's biography "Appetite For Life," by Noel Riley Fitch is superb. Some time ago a friend of mine saw me reading it during a trip to the gym. She thought the book would be boring, WRONG; on the contrary, I found it utterly fascinating. Begins with what she was like as a kid, upbringing, her education, what she did during the war (fascinating too) which lead up to her meeting Paul Child. Nice pics of their wedding, reflections on how she cared for Paul as he went downhill then died, but bravely carried on with her life. The book should be available in your local library, but I've got my own personal copy which I'd be loath to part with. Hope someone might be inspired to read it.

Best,
Pennsy

P.S. Wonder if this movie was reproduced on "faulty" DVD's? Just a day or so ago, another friend of mine remarked that they too lost the movie, then the theatre issued refunds or renewals depending on what people wanted. Hope that doesn't happen when I go to see it.

pennsy is offline   Reply With Quote