Movie Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Have you ever noticed that in most movies at-home meals are either delivered or frozen pizza, burgers, hot dogs, TV dinners, or totally gourmet meals? We went to see Premonition (with Sandra Bullock) tonight. I was very happy to see that the family all sat down at the table for a regular home-cooked meal. They were having chicken breasts in sauce (I think barbecue sauce), mashed potatoes, and a vegetable (I think peas and carrots). The kind of food regular people eat. That pleased me more than I had expected it would. :cool:

:) Barbara

I've noticed that too..As much as I love Chinese, it seems every movie or tv show has someone with chopstix munching from a carton! Makes me wonder if that stuff is even hot. Or if they even have a stove! :LOL:

kadesma

Thinking about it Barbara, I would probably do the same thing were I writing or directing a show or movie.

To me you want action, a movie has to be fast moving, and someone serving a baked chicken breast with a green bean casserole has no cinematic pizzazz. At least to me.

Cartons with chop sticks standing up gives the idea of activity, people are too busy to just sit down and dig into a pot roast.

Seeing folks buying a dog from a stand, grabbing a slice of pizza as they are on the go, that gives the scene a dynamic character, at least in my opinion.

And when one does see someone making a regular dish, there is a reason for it.

The cutting of the garlic with a razor blade in the Godfather (I believe, my memory is not all that good anymore), was there to emphasize the point that the bad guys were just hanging around with nothing better to do. With nobody to kill, maim, or strongarm, they were reduced to playing cards and making tomato sauce.

Nah, when one only has ninety minutes or so to tell a story, there is no time for a Ward and June Cleaver supper. Fast cars, fast dames, fast foods, that is the ticket. And it keeps many of us buying, well, tickets.

Unless a bad guy is going home to see mom, at which point she probably would be serving a pork chop and lima bean casserole, I think you are just going to see the same old pizza and Chinese take out.

At least that is my take on it. Just my opinion. Take care.

:) Yea!But then there are the true food movies what comes to mind is 2 of my all time favorites Like Water for Chocolate and Babettes Feast.I love movies that have some one that can turn food into an emotional experience I just saw one with Sarah Michelle Gellar but cant remember the name.
There is also Chocolat.Any one else have one?

The best movie meal ever was James Cagney feeding Mae Clark grapefruit in the 1931 film "The Public Enemy."

Does anybody remember that famous scene?

:) Ive seen that scene many times but have not have had the pleasure of seeing the movie.Cagney another great one.Some of those older movies were quite racy also.Edward G Robinson another great actor.

Barbara L said:
Have you ever noticed that in most movies at-home meals are either delivered or frozen pizza, burgers, hot dogs, TV dinners, or totally gourmet meals? We went to see Premonition (with Sandra Bullock) tonight. I was very happy to see that the family all sat down at the table for a regular home-cooked meal. They were having chicken breasts in sauce (I think barbecue sauce), mashed potatoes, and a vegetable (I think peas and carrots). The kind of food regular people eat. That pleased me more than I had expected it would. :cool:

That may be the ONLY positive thing I've read about that movie, Barbara! LOL!

I used to notice that anyone bringing home groceries on TV or in movies always had a paper shopping bag with a loaf of French bread and a bunch of celery sticking out of the top. Not sure if that's still the case, now that plastic shopping bags are more prevalent.

Lee

Food & The Movies

What a fun topic. Usually the food/meal ties into the plot.

The Public Enemy - The Grapefruit scene was also the first that came to mind, lol

A few other food-related/meal scenes from the movies:

Diner

Five Easy Pieces - The No substition scene

Tom Jones (the gluttonous eating scene at the table)

Gone with the Wind - "As G-D is my witness, I will never go hungry again."

The Titanic - Those umpteen course meals are what really sunk the ship, lol

Saturday Night Fever - (J.T. at the dinner table - "Don't touch the hair"

Sure there are dozens more lol.

Last edited:
auntdot said:
Thinking about it Barbara, I would probably do the same thing were I writing or directing a show or movie.

To me you want action, a movie has to be fast moving, and someone serving a baked chicken breast with a green bean casserole has no cinematic pizzazz. At least to me.

Cartons with chop sticks standing up gives the idea of activity, people are too busy to just sit down and dig into a pot roast.

Seeing folks buying a dog from a stand, grabbing a slice of pizza as they are on the go, that gives the scene a dynamic character, at least in my opinion.

And when one does see someone making a regular dish, there is a reason for it.
I think there was definitely a reason for it in this case. They were trying to show the "ordinary-ness" of this family (in the midst of the chaos the mom was going through.).

Qsis--I don't know what the reviewers have said, and I don't care. I really enjoyed the movie. I did guess how it was going to end, but with the twists and turns, I wasn't sure it would turn out that way until the end. I don't think James liked it quite as well because it was so confusing at the beginning. Like I told him, it was supposed to be confusing. :) We also saw "Ghost Rider" which was more his type of movie. ;) I liked it too. :cool: No food that I can remember in that movie though (just Jelly Bellies and wine--not together though!). LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom