"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When dad was in the Air Force, we moved a lot. I'm the only one of us kids who remembers living in Great Falls MT, on Guam, in Colorado, in Illinois and back to Colorado and then settling in Laramie WY. Our shortest time between moves was in Illinois. They had found housing for our family of 5. Mom had just unpacked the last box (there weren't many of them) when Dad got a phone call about him being too far away from the base. We had to start packing up and moving to a smaller town 2 miles closer. Mom was peeved.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

My family moved into a new house in Saskatoon just after I was born. We left that house and moved to British Columbia 4 months before my 8th birthday. My parents owned the same house for 27 years before they moved into a condominium in an adjoining community. I went back to Saskatchewan for grade 12, living in the dorm there for one year, staying at my cousin's place on weekends. I came home to BC after graduation but returned to Regina for University for 3 years - quitting at the start of my fourth year and moved back to BC. I stayed with my parents several times over the next while and in between had places of my own. I was diagnosed with depression which in hindsight was what caused me to leave university and keep moving around. I finally settled for 10 years in a co-op I help put together in a beautiful suburb of Vancouver called New Westminster. We were right on the water. But in that time I met and married my first husband and for reasons I don't want to go into we moved many times in the five years we were married. Then I lived in several places trying to stay away from him. When I married my wonderful DH we moved into his little house on big property and managed to sell it, buy our current townhouse with no mortgage and have some left over - so I have only moved once in the last 10 years and we aren't considering leaving for a long time.

My other post kind of explains why!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #13
Master Chef

Princess: Bolling, Dreux, Hamilton, Stead, Landstuhl, Wiesbaden, Hill, Vandenberg. Then what did I do? Join the Air Force myself, so add 4 more bases. THEN what did I do? Work at the Pentagon. THEN what did I do? Marry an Army officer.

Glutton for punishment? Naw, just got used to it. I'd mentioned when we moved here that we were both used to moving every few years. When we hit the 3 year point, our nearest and dearest neighbors pleaded with us not to move!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've lived in so many places during my lifetime, that when people ask me where I'm from, I really don't know what to say. When I reply I've lived all over, they usually push saying "but where are you from originally, where did you grow up?"

It's really annoying for me. I realize that when you meet new people, they are trying to find a common ground to talk about, but for me, when I'm meeting new people, I hate the 20 questions attitude. I'm a private person and don't wish to be grilled by a stranger.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It might sound a bit superstitious, but I bet it makes the house smell good.
+1
Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm in the process of "moving" from the farm back to the house that is in rural Ottawa. The nice thing is that I've lived in the house before, so I know where everything goes (and no, I do not let anyone help pack/unpack--I did that when I moved to the farm and still can't find things). I have the luxury of moving stuff in "small loads" so that I can unpack, put away, oops, discard (donate) stuff I don't want/need, bring the empty boxes/bins back to the farm, refill them. I could not imagine dealing with 80-100 boxes (or more) at one time!! The big issue will be going through the 20 x 40 storage building where I put the stuff I didn't move to the farm! Fortunately, that is on the property and I can do that over the next 20 years! Having said all that, however, moving is stressful. Yesterday, I inherited a cat/kitten. Got to my house and there was this cat/kitten literally hanging off the screen door. It seems to think it lives here. The irony is that a vet rented the place for 18 months. I doubt she left her cat behind. The other irony is that it has the same markings as my dearly departed Newfoundland--he died here in 2008 right before I rented the place out...who knew he'd come back reincarnated as a CAT! He did, however, love to chase cats...
Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Just before hubby #2 died, we separated and got involved in a custody suit. Nasty. Fortunately, he up and died. When I was talking to the court officer about what I wanted for my child, I explained how being married to his father, the child had no roots to speak of. I wanted him to be able to say, "I am from..." Not just "I was born in Texas." It wasn't until he was in the fourth grade that he was able to complete a full school year in the same school. Today he is in his early 40's and formed friendships in the fourth grade that he still maintains to this day.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:18 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I've lived in so many places during my lifetime, that when people ask me where I'm from, I really don't know what to say. When I reply I've lived all over, they usually push saying "but where are you from originally, where did you grow up?"

It's really annoying for me. I realize that when you meet new people, they are trying to find a common ground to talk about, but for me, when I'm meeting new people, I hate the 20 questions attitude. I'm a private person and don't wish to be grilled by a stranger.
The answer is simple. I was born in .... and from N.O., LA. At this moment, that is where you are from. After that, change the subject. If they insist, they are being rude. They do not deserve politeness and you can walk away with the same amount of rudeness that was shown to you. If they insist on following you, trip them, then laugh real hard as you walk away for the second time. They should get the message by then.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Yesterday, I inherited a cat/kitten. Got to my house and there was this cat/kitten literally hanging off the screen door. It seems to think it lives here. The irony is that a vet rented the place for 18 months. I doubt she left her cat behind. The other irony is that it has the same markings as my dearly departed Newfoundland--he died here in 2008 right before I rented the place out...who knew he'd come back reincarnated as a CAT! He did, however, love to chase cats...
There is your mouser for your dream farm.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

I, too, find this problem. I was born in Washington DC. Lived there for less than a year. I'm NOT a private person, as you mention, so don't find the questions offensive, but I do find it offensive that people don't think I'm from where I say I'm from. I, right now, am from Galena, IL. It's a town that I chose and love. Now. there are people here, and I've found this much more when I've lived in the south, if your great-great-5th generation grandparents didn't live there, then you aren't "from" there. Huh?

I'm an American. The places I've lived simply show that I'm an American, because I've lived in them for that reason. Two of my sisters were born in Europe. One is naturalized, one is a regular citizen. Both born to the same parents I was born to. I only find it a problem when people question where I'm from, and some get offensive about it. " ... But where is your real home?" My real home is where I hang my hat.