Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The answer is simple. I was born in .... and from N.O., LA. At this moment, that is where you are from. After that, change the subject. If they insist, they are being rude. They do not deserve politeness and you can walk away with the same amount of rudeness that was shown to you. If they insist on following you, trip them, then laugh real hard as you walk away for the second time. They should get the message by then. :rolleyes:

:LOL::LOL: The last time was that stalker guy I vented about. I had the apartment manager tell him to leave me alone. It worked.

As to "born in" I was born in a hospital in Washington DC, but we lived in Suitland, MD and only for 6 weeks. I don't feel like either of those places really count. I was conceived in Tallahassee. I wish I weren't so literal minded.

I often just use the last place I lived, Florida, but mentioning that brings the next question, where in Florida, and that brings back unpleasant memories I rather just forget.

Don't mind me, it's just a pet peeve. I just wish I had a simple answer that would close the subject and not be rude because I know it's a common question many people ask, and they are just trying to start a conversation.

I've lived in so many places during my lifetime, that when people ask me where I'm from, I really don't know what to say. When I reply I've lived all over, they usually push saying "but where are you from originally, where did you grow up?"

It's really annoying for me. I realize that when you meet new people, they are trying to find a common ground to talk about, but for me, when I'm meeting new people, I hate the 20 questions attitude. I'm a private person and don't wish to be grilled by a stranger.

I agree with you on this!

I am also a private person and I become very uneasy when I meet a new person that tells me their entire life story in the first five minutes of our meeting, I start to fidgit and begin looking to see if they are wearing a little plastic bracelet and fuzzy slippers! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My story sort of unravels like an old sweater, as I get to know people. If they pay attention and are patient they eventually hear the whole story.

I added them up and I have moved 14 times in my life. I hate the process of moving but, I think moving is good for people. I think it is especially good for old people to get a fresh start every few years, like an old crab shedding its shell. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I know a lot about moving myself. For the first 13 years after moving away from my parents, I was homeless. But not in the sense you might think. I didn't live under a bridge and dumpster dive or anything like that. I was a traveling musician. Our band would travel around the country, moving from one hotel to the next play lounge gigs. Every two weeks, we'd pack everything up and drive to a new place.

In a way, it was fun. We were all carefree twenty-somethings that weren't tied down. I had a wife at the time who was a singer in the band, so she traveled with me. It was like a decade long vacation and I got to see a lot of different places around the country.

Occasionally, we would have a week off here and there. The week off was always kind of a problem, because it was like "where are going to go?" We'd usually head to one of our parents houses if we were close enough. Other times we'd rent a vacation cottage somewhere for a week.

The scariest thing about this sort of lifestyle is that, every so often, I would wake up and have a moment of panic because I couldn't immediately remember where I was. :rolleyes:

My then-wife and I eventually parted ways, and I ended up settling in Las Vegas, of all places. That was my first real home in over a decade (Not easy, though. Try getting an apartment sometime without past references). Good transition, as I was able to stay in one town and still play different lounges, all the while going to school to get my degree in computer science.

Last edited:
Born in Fort Ord, CA, lived in Pacific Grove, moved when I was three months old to San Angelo, Tx. Then Brighton, CO, while Dad was in Korea and my sister was born. Then to Great Falls, MT, where my second sister was born, then on to Guam, then Brighton, CO (Grandma lived there) while Dad was in Okinawa, then Mascoutah, IL, back to Brighton and then Laramie, WY where I entered the second grade.

I am from Laramie, I live in Missoula, MT which is now my home...I've been here longer than anywhere else, going on 21 years. I did spend time in Oregon, Tennessee, New Hampshire with the first spouse. And Lakewood, CO with Shrek.

Born in Fort Ord, CA, lived in Pacific Grove, moved when I was three months old to San Angelo, Tx. Then Brighton, CO, while Dad was in Korea and my sister was born. Then to Great Falls, MT, where my second sister was born, then on to Guam, then Brighton, CO (Grandma lived there) while Dad was in Okinawa, then Mascoutah, IL, back to Brighton and then Laramie, WY where I entered the second grade.

I am from Laramie, I live in Missoula, MT which is now my home...I've been here longer than anywhere else, going on 21 years. I did spend time in Oregon, Tennessee, New Hampshire with the first spouse. And Lakewood, CO with Shrek.

I love Pacific Grove! I want retire there. I have lived in CA my entire life but moved about a dozen times so far around the state.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom