Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I started to read a line from someone who was talking about moving often. I didn't even get to the end, and didn't see who it was, and it disappeared. I'm an expert in the field of moving often, so if anyone needs some help in this area, please feel free to ask. Been there, done that.

Best of Luck In Your New Home

@ Claire,

Just wanted to let you know that I am wishing you the very best in your new home ...

I am 50% Italian and thus, quite supersticious --- do buy a new broom, a bag of sugar, a box of sweets, fresh flowers, a new box of salt and some Camphor or eucalyptus ... Open all windows and all closets & cabinets.

Take the camphor or eucalyptus leaves and boil it ... Pass the sauce pan around the house from back to front to eliminate all negative energies from the former tenants or owners.

Might sound a bit pagan, however, it does no harm ... The ancient cultures have always cleansed their homes with their specific rituals. :)

Best of luck.
Margi. Cintrano.

@ Claire,

Just wanted to let you know that I am wishing you the very best in your new home ...

I am 50% Italian and thus, quite supersticious --- do buy a new broom, a bag of sugar, a box of sweets, fresh flowers, a new box of salt and some Camphor or eucalyptus ... Open all windows and all closets & cabinets.

Take the camphor or eucalyptus leaves and boil it ... Pass the sauce pan around the house from back to front to eliminate all negative energies from the former tenants or owners.

Might sound a bit pagan, however, it does no harm ... The ancient cultures have always cleansed their homes with their specific rituals. :)

Best of luck.
Margi. Cintrano.

Memories of my childhood. Having grown up in an Italian community, and plenty of triple deckers, there was always someone moving into a new apartment. Local stores did a booming business in brooms. I remember once when we were moving into a larger apartment due to an increase in family size, one of my new neighbors brought me a new broom. She told me the previous tenant was not a nice person. I believe she used the word "butana" along with some other descriptive words. I thanked her profusly and offered her a cup of tea. We became great friends. :)

Moving for me is a totally traumatic experience for me. First there are the physical aspects - I just can't do very much in the way of packing and cleaning, let alone actually moving things! Then my anxiety flares up big time because I have difficulty with chaos.

The last move we did five years ago we hired a friend to do all the packing and unpacking of the kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms and small things in the living areas. At both ends of the move I was often sent on errands to get food, boxes, paint supplies, etc. Friends and relatives were painting the new place, taking stuff to the dump from the old place, moving furniture, etc. I basically stayed away from both houses as much as I could over the two days it took. I was much happier for it - and so was everyone else :rolleyes:

Oh, Margi and Addie, wrong impression. I've lived here for longer than anywhere else in my life (ten years). It was the almost 50 years before that when I never lived anywhere for more than a few years. I think the biggest effect is that I don't get as attached to "stuff" as other people do. What you think might be an effect, is not ... my friendships made over the years are still close, even though it isn't unusual for us to go decades without seeing each other. For some reason people think I might not have close childhood friends, but mine are closer than most.

Margi, I would never trample on some one's beliefs or practices. We all have our own picaldiloes. Heavens knows, I grew up with a lot of them. :)

Claire, you sound like me. I have been here in Missouri, living on Sparrowgrass Hill, for almost 11 years--the longest I have ever lived anywhere in my life.

Most of those moves were by U-Haul, so I packed and unpacked, including a move across country (from Washington State to Alabama) with a 9 week old baby. I AM NEVER MOVING AGAIN. As a matter of fact, I would really like to be buried right up here in my own little piece of paradise. (Not too soon, please. I love living here.)

Let's see, 5 years, then 15 years, then a bunch of college moves, and now, 29 years in one place. I would most likely die before having to move again, so then I'd move to the crematorium and they must not plant me anywhere. NO MOVING!

When I went through the 'great fire' aka divorce, each time he took anything (and he took most everything) I would say to myself, okay, good it's gone I won't have to move it ever. There is always a bright side to these things.

3 years ago I helped a friend move. He's STILL trying to get rid of things stored in a barn. It was horrible with a capital H trying to move him. I'm more of a moving helper and not so much a mover myself.

If you do need to move, though, feel free to call, errr wait, I think we planned to fish that week/month/year.....

When dad was in the Air Force, we moved a lot. I'm the only one of us kids who remembers living in Great Falls MT, on Guam, in Colorado, in Illinois and back to Colorado and then settling in Laramie WY. Our shortest time between moves was in Illinois. They had found housing for our family of 5. Mom had just unpacked the last box (there weren't many of them) when Dad got a phone call about him being too far away from the base. We had to start packing up and moving to a smaller town 2 miles closer. Mom was peeved.

My family moved into a new house in Saskatoon just after I was born. We left that house and moved to British Columbia 4 months before my 8th birthday. My parents owned the same house for 27 years before they moved into a condominium in an adjoining community. I went back to Saskatchewan for grade 12, living in the dorm there for one year, staying at my cousin's place on weekends. I came home to BC after graduation but returned to Regina for University for 3 years - quitting at the start of my fourth year and moved back to BC. I stayed with my parents several times over the next while and in between had places of my own. I was diagnosed with depression which in hindsight was what caused me to leave university and keep moving around. I finally settled for 10 years in a co-op I help put together in a beautiful suburb of Vancouver called New Westminster. We were right on the water. But in that time I met and married my first husband and for reasons I don't want to go into we moved many times in the five years we were married. Then I lived in several places trying to stay away from him. When I married my wonderful DH we moved into his little house on big property and managed to sell it, buy our current townhouse with no mortgage and have some left over - so I have only moved once in the last 10 years and we aren't considering leaving for a long time.

My other post kind of explains why! ;)

Princess: Bolling, Dreux, Hamilton, Stead, Landstuhl, Wiesbaden, Hill, Vandenberg. Then what did I do? Join the Air Force myself, so add 4 more bases. THEN what did I do? Work at the Pentagon. THEN what did I do? Marry an Army officer.

Glutton for punishment? Naw, just got used to it. I'd mentioned when we moved here that we were both used to moving every few years. When we hit the 3 year point, our nearest and dearest neighbors pleaded with us not to move!

I've lived in so many places during my lifetime, that when people ask me where I'm from, I really don't know what to say. When I reply I've lived all over, they usually push saying "but where are you from originally, where did you grow up?"

It's really annoying for me. I realize that when you meet new people, they are trying to find a common ground to talk about, but for me, when I'm meeting new people, I hate the 20 questions attitude. I'm a private person and don't wish to be grilled by a stranger.

I'm in the process of "moving" from the farm back to the house that is in rural Ottawa. The nice thing is that I've lived in the house before, so I know where everything goes (and no, I do not let anyone help pack/unpack--I did that when I moved to the farm and still can't find things). I have the luxury of moving stuff in "small loads" so that I can unpack, put away, oops, discard (donate) stuff I don't want/need, bring the empty boxes/bins back to the farm, refill them. I could not imagine dealing with 80-100 boxes (or more) at one time!! The big issue will be going through the 20 x 40 storage building where I put the stuff I didn't move to the farm! Fortunately, that is on the property and I can do that over the next 20 years! Having said all that, however, moving is stressful. Yesterday, I inherited a cat/kitten. Got to my house and there was this cat/kitten literally hanging off the screen door. It seems to think it lives here. The irony is that a vet rented the place for 18 months. I doubt she left her cat behind. The other irony is that it has the same markings as my dearly departed Newfoundland--he died here in 2008 right before I rented the place out...who knew he'd come back reincarnated as a CAT! He did, however, love to chase cats...

Just before hubby #2 died, we separated and got involved in a custody suit. Nasty. Fortunately, he up and died. When I was talking to the court officer about what I wanted for my child, I explained how being married to his father, the child had no roots to speak of. I wanted him to be able to say, "I am from..." Not just "I was born in Texas." It wasn't until he was in the fourth grade that he was able to complete a full school year in the same school. Today he is in his early 40's and formed friendships in the fourth grade that he still maintains to this day. :)

I've lived in so many places during my lifetime, that when people ask me where I'm from, I really don't know what to say. When I reply I've lived all over, they usually push saying "but where are you from originally, where did you grow up?"

It's really annoying for me. I realize that when you meet new people, they are trying to find a common ground to talk about, but for me, when I'm meeting new people, I hate the 20 questions attitude. I'm a private person and don't wish to be grilled by a stranger.

The answer is simple. I was born in .... and from N.O., LA. At this moment, that is where you are from. After that, change the subject. If they insist, they are being rude. They do not deserve politeness and you can walk away with the same amount of rudeness that was shown to you. If they insist on following you, trip them, then laugh real hard as you walk away for the second time. They should get the message by then. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I inherited a cat/kitten. Got to my house and there was this cat/kitten literally hanging off the screen door. It seems to think it lives here. The irony is that a vet rented the place for 18 months. I doubt she left her cat behind. The other irony is that it has the same markings as my dearly departed Newfoundland--he died here in 2008 right before I rented the place out...who knew he'd come back reincarnated as a CAT! He did, however, love to chase cats...

There is your mouser for your dream farm. :cool:

I, too, find this problem. I was born in Washington DC. Lived there for less than a year. I'm NOT a private person, as you mention, so don't find the questions offensive, but I do find it offensive that people don't think I'm from where I say I'm from. I, right now, am from Galena, IL. It's a town that I chose and love. Now. there are people here, and I've found this much more when I've lived in the south, if your great-great-5th generation grandparents didn't live there, then you aren't "from" there. Huh?

I'm an American. The places I've lived simply show that I'm an American, because I've lived in them for that reason. Two of my sisters were born in Europe. One is naturalized, one is a regular citizen. Both born to the same parents I was born to. I only find it a problem when people question where I'm from, and some get offensive about it. " ... But where is your real home?" My real home is where I hang my hat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom