"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

The idea of the curtain as a room divider is a good one - I've done it many times myself. If you can sew or have access to some long curtains, bedsheets or even shower curtains, it can really change your space. If length is a problem, you can stretch a wire that has tension connectors (ask at the hardware store) so that you can hang the curtains lower than the ceiling. That's also better for airflow.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Also, I don't know the sizes of the desks but can you place them back to back?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
No, the first two pictures are how it is laid out right now in real life. The idea picture is just an idea.
I meant architecturally.

Just remember that moving a TV can be a PITA because of the cable connection. I try to bas rooms around that.

Fishers Mom has a good idea with the divider. My first pad was a bungalow. So I know all about tight quarters. I would definately have to lose one of those desks.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Head Chef

About the desks, I tried to put one desk on each wall opposite of each other and there wasn't enough chair room.. he insists on having these massive 500 dollar leather chairs too.. Men !!!

So to answer your question, I don't think it would work... I might try it though if I try the curtain idea with the desks in the other room. I like having them side by side because we play some games together a few times a week.

I love the curtain divider idea, but I just thought of something. It's going to limit the light in the apartment, because the big window is going to be behind the curtain. I think I will sacrifice some light though.. I have wall lamps and table lamps.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Just remember that moving a TV can be a PITA because of the cable connection. I try to bas rooms around that.
Good news.. we dont have cable :) lol

And yes, the two rooms are exactly as I cut them, measured and sized down. I converted the feet to CM 1 foot = 1 cm

In my second post, the divider is there, the orange curtain like line thing lol.. I ran it by Nick last night and he said measure everything out and he might like it.

I want the rooms optimized for space, but also for entertaining, which is why I insist on having a nice living area with the couch and tv. I don't care if the table is in the other room, they can walk lol
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
Head Chef

I would love to get two smaller desks for us.. but he just loves them and wants to put them in a bigger apartment when we move either this fall or next year.

Grabbing some pics to show you what I'm working with...

Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Do the 2 chairs match?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #18
Head Chef

Yes, the two chairs match and they consequently match the couch too. All brown leather.

Please ignore the mess.. I'm cleaning out the cupboards and closets, and did laundry in the tub this morning.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
Executive Chef

How do you get to the bedroom now? From the kitchen? Or is there a door behind the sofa?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
Head Chef

I omitted the bathroom and the little hallway connecting the two rooms. Then again, light may not be an issue depending on the color of curtain we choose, and also they will be open most of the time.