"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I like it how it is now. You could get a couple of those door opening fans to try to move the cooler air into the other room.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I was thinking the same thing, Jeekinz. It looks great now! I think you've done an awesome job with the space you have. The windows are wonderful. Really, I don't think you could improve on your set-up much except to have a couple of smaller desks, as you said. I understand Nick not wanting to give them up, though. Is there a relative that could store them for you until you get a bigger place?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Or maybe, could ya'll pare down the things you keep on the desktops and (gasp) share one desk? Then maybe you could store the other one. If you did that, you could hang some attractive, open shelves to hold some of the desk things but not take up valuable floor space.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #24
Head Chef

Really? I'm not sure why I feel the need to move things around. I just love change in a space and I can't do much changing other than moving things around. Change makes it feel like a whole new space.. plus I want to feel like I have a "living room". I think the curtain idea is neat and I'm willing to try it. Curtains are pretty cheap.

I don't think I'm happy with the idea as having my dining table beside the couch and the couch beside massive desks.

The living room in the second post has more guest appeal, doesn't it? We love having people over.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #25
Head Chef

I Have actually been thinking of buying a smaller desk just for me and letting him keep his monster and storing the one I use. Wait a second, this has my wheels turning.

If I do that, he might feel bad that hes using the monster compared to my dinky desk and might downgrade till we move.. lol

Sharing the desk though.. I could run that by him. He likes having a nice open space on his desk, but he just finished his Bachelors so he doesnt need it to study anymore.. and we COULD buy shelving for the printer. The only problem would be our speakers.. we both have 6-speaker systems for our computers. And we would have to take off the bottom keyboard thing that rolls out and use the desktop which is pretty high.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Lose a desk and bring that chair back to the livingroom. Or try to fit the computers in the bedroom somewhere. I got sick of all that desktop PC crapola at home and bought us laptops. No printer, no 10 bazillion cables and junk, no CD's all over the place. LOL I used to do some freelance graphic art from home, what a disaster it was.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #27
Head Chef

We have a laptop and desktop PC each. Both of us just finished school within the last year and they were required. I also travel alot and like to bring my laptop along.

If I wasn't a gamer I would just be happy with a laptop.

I think I will run that by him. Get rid of a monster and get myself a smaller one.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #28
Head Chef

Plus.. if my desk isn't as comfy as this one, I won't spend as much time at it :p LOL
Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
Head Chef

Saphellae, I think getting those desks out of immediate sight would be a really good idea...maybe they could go where you have the bed suggested (behind the curtain) and your curtained-off area could be a little "study." Then, at least, you would have one neat area that is uncluttered. Is there are chance that you could just store those enormous desks somewhere until you have a bigger place?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #30
Head Chef

I'd love to store them, but Nick doesn't want to put down the money to buy cheapies till we get a bigger place. He just shot down that idea. I think dedicating the small room to the dining table and the desks is my only option, because right now its just so tight everywhere.