Moving Furniture - More Space - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me try and plan the two rooms in my apartment for optimization of space.. I have sized down cut outs of the furniture and two rooms that I can e-mail for print out for easier planning (cut outs).

I would really appreciate any help.. I'm fresh out of ideas and I'm sick of having everything jumbled together! I really want an actual living room space rather than just a couch and tv in front of it in the middle of the room between the desks and dining table.

It doesn't help that Nick has two massive desks for our computers and he refuses to downsize... and we have a king sized bed, and a full couch, and two chairs.

If anyone is good at this kind of stuff please help ! I have tried everything I can think of and need a new perspective.

Here are my two rooms as they stand right now: (bigger versions available if you click)

Main Room:
img_602785_0_814d5aab9b63f58c621446aef1d0a8f5.jpg

Second Room:

img_602785_1_90ac616068251d7cbaa0bb173eea35d3.jpg

One of my ideas... put up a curtain in the bigger room and put the bed there. I dont think I mind having the dining table in the other room. The kitchen is adjacant to the large room, if you note the black line in the bottom right corner of the room. The entrance hallway is just to the left of the kitchen, and the entrance to the other room / bathroom is on the left wall in the bottom corner (I've marked entrances with black lines)

img_602788_0_8f3dbb139a4b50263c4a8acd2d2c0563.jpg

The nice thing about this one is in that top right hand corner of the bigger room, there is the A/C unit right by the bed for the summer...

You have too much time on your hands. ;)

Put the desks in the kitchen an move the sink, stove and fridge out to the livingroom.

Well aside from looking for a job and cleaning the house, you're right, I do..

but if I have to live in this dinky space for another year I'll be darned if it won't be space optimized.

I'd love to be working right now and not have time to think about this, but unfortunately it's hard to find a job here right now and I look every single day and send out resumes every single day.

I'd rather not be poked at for having too much time on my hands, its a sensitive issue as you can see. If I don't do something I'm going to go crapping insane.

So anyways, I would appreciate any serious help someone would be willing to offer. I appreciate the joke about too much time but like I said, I'd prefer not to be poked at.

The idea of the curtain as a room divider is a good one - I've done it many times myself. If you can sew or have access to some long curtains, bedsheets or even shower curtains, it can really change your space. If length is a problem, you can stretch a wire that has tension connectors (ask at the hardware store) so that you can hang the curtains lower than the ceiling. That's also better for airflow.

No, the first two pictures are how it is laid out right now in real life. The idea picture is just an idea.

I meant architecturally.

Just remember that moving a TV can be a PITA because of the cable connection. I try to bas rooms around that.

Fishers Mom has a good idea with the divider. My first pad was a bungalow. So I know all about tight quarters. I would definately have to lose one of those desks.

About the desks, I tried to put one desk on each wall opposite of each other and there wasn't enough chair room.. he insists on having these massive 500 dollar leather chairs too.. Men !!!

So to answer your question, I don't think it would work... I might try it though if I try the curtain idea with the desks in the other room. I like having them side by side because we play some games together a few times a week.

I love the curtain divider idea, but I just thought of something. It's going to limit the light in the apartment, because the big window is going to be behind the curtain. I think I will sacrifice some light though.. I have wall lamps and table lamps.

Just remember that moving a TV can be a PITA because of the cable connection. I try to bas rooms around that.
Good news.. we dont have cable :) lol

And yes, the two rooms are exactly as I cut them, measured and sized down. I converted the feet to CM 1 foot = 1 cm

In my second post, the divider is there, the orange curtain like line thing lol.. I ran it by Nick last night and he said measure everything out and he might like it.

I want the rooms optimized for space, but also for entertaining, which is why I insist on having a nice living area with the couch and tv. I don't care if the table is in the other room, they can walk lol

I would love to get two smaller desks for us.. but he just loves them and wants to put them in a bigger apartment when we move either this fall or next year.

Grabbing some pics to show you what I'm working with...

img_602847_0_3b3679e42364d66bcc5084aa3ba9ff19.jpg

img_602847_1_78f3c94141b7eb3b2d60f07b2cf98503.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the two chairs match and they consequently match the couch too. All brown leather.

Please ignore the mess.. I'm cleaning out the cupboards and closets, and did laundry in the tub this morning.

I omitted the bathroom and the little hallway connecting the two rooms. Then again, light may not be an issue depending on the color of curtain we choose, and also they will be open most of the time.

img_602860_0_288d6f5404a8ee3ff1c292fa372cbc93.jpg

Back
Top Bottom