"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Counter space... *droooools*

Old 10-14-2016, 03:47 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
..And she likes apple pie enough that I kind of have a weekly pie plan...
Himself is a big fan of apple pie, too. He'd travel on and off for work ever since we were married. Before kids, and after we had our own house with a good-sized kitchen, I got this brainy idea. I passed a couple apple farms on my way to and from work every day. One was fancy, the other just a barn up the dirt drive with fresh-pressed cider and a wide variety of apples. I would stop every week for a different variety that was ready for picking, starting with Lodi in August and all the way through Melrose around Halloween. And each week I would produce a different apple pie for Himself upon his return to his castle. He still thinks of that as the best three months of his life!

And now I have a taste for apple pie...

Old 10-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #13
Wine Guy

Just moved myself this week, but, speaking for myself, I'm going to have to go with "awesome" rather than "sucks." I'm enjoying the heck out of unpacking and getting set up in the new digs. I see many projects in my future!

Enjoy your new place!
Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
No, it is not.

So after a ton of bruises, one 26 foot long rental truck (thing was a monster to drive), and WHY DOES MY WIFE WANT TO LIVE ON THE THIRD FLOOR, aside, we are in our new place. Everything is still in boxes. Damn boxes I hate them. But it is getting sorted.

The good news is that the new kitchen is much larger. I have some serious counter space. No more kneading bread on the dining room table.

Picking up produce from the co-op tomorrow, and my beloved wife (I will eventually forgive her for the whole apartment on the third floor thing), did give me a lodge cast iron dutch oven for my birthday, right before the move. It is the model with the self basting lid. I am quite excited.

So expect recipes and joy soon. We just got the internet turned on today, so I'm still playing catch up.

TBS
Welcome to your new home.

Whenever I move home I'm always surprised that however, drastic I am about getting rid of things I no longer need, I still find things to get rid of when I unpack everything at the other end.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #15
Senior Cook

The fun part is this weekend, get to unpack and shelve the books. I always find awesome ones I forgot I have.

TBS
Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

During my visit back to Ontario in September, I got to pack up a 4-bedroom house and put everything in storage. Not fun. I have no idea when I will get back to Ontario to get resettled and unpack. Didn't have time to purge and wouldn't have gotten the job done with the amazing help of four friends (two of whom booked off work to help for three days). It was awful visit back. By the time I eventually get to return to my life, I doubt I will keep much of what I am paying to store. But I couldn't part with very many of my books...
Old 10-18-2016, 01:24 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
But I couldn't part with very many of my books...
I think those of us with books have a serious problem when moving. I have books that are more traveled than many people. PA to NH, back to PA, to NY, to PA, to OK, back to PA. here now, different place in PA 140 miles away. They are my friends, but my friends are heavy, hard to move, and stay in boxes unless I carry about bookshelves to put them on.

Let's just say I am a turtle not a hare.