"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Head Chef

Moving to Italy!

What a day! My husband had an interview this morning in London, this afternoon they ask him if he can start Monday......in Milano!

Phew, well, I won't be able to get our place packed up for a couple of weeks, and our cats are only half way through getting their passports, but its very exciting.....and daunting!

Well....I better put a thread in places to eat....LOL

I remember that urmaniac lives in Rome, any other Italians?

Old 07-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

How EXCITING!!!
congratulations on this wonderful move!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Wow, thats great! The only Italian I know on here is Urmaniac as you mentioned. Should be interesting for your husband to arrive in Italy a day after they win the world cup I'm running now, dont want anyone from France to beat me up Just light hearted humor people
Old 07-07-2006, 01:26 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I am not Itallian, but I have been to Italy, and wow what a beautiful country!

That is a very good choice.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:29 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
E vai, Lulu!! This is so cool, you will love it in Italy, though to be honest I have never been to Milano. And well, to be really honest I am not Italian either, I just "adopted" this country as mine a little more than 3 years ago but I am ever so happy to have done so!! I tell you though, you will learn so much about the "real" Italian food and Italian cooking, which is in reality so different from what it is considered abroad. You will probably find out at the same time the word "Italian cuisine" is rather vague really, as it is so diverse depending on the region, be it from Sicily (Semi-tropical mediterranean) or Trentino (Italian Alps) or anywhere in between. Absorb and learn all you can, it will be an amazing experience!!

Anyway another member RDG is an authentic Italian, proper Milanese at that, too!! So he will surely be able to help you with all that he knows. If there is anything I can be of help though, don't hesitate to ask me!!

In bocca al lupo!! (Good luck in Italian )
Old 07-07-2006, 06:12 AM   #6
Head Chef

Monday... that's short notice. Bet you love the place. All those absolutely fabulous restaurants, all that fine quality produce you can cook yourself. All the history, culture, style... You are bound to have a good time.

Me, green? Envy? Well now you come to mention it...
Old 07-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Monday... that's short notice. ...
You're telling me, lol!

My husband has had to go to Saville Row to order another suit this morning. he had one "interview suit" and a couple of standbys, but now will need another decent one, and wants an English rather than Italian one. But obviously, I will need to pick it up when its done, they say they can cope without refitting it. And the firm's "partners club" has sent me a list of partner's dos, so I will have to make sure I go to the hairdresser for the firt time in, ooohhh, a year? so I look ok, and it is such a change. I still can't believe my husband is going to own a saville row suit when the fanciest thing he could find to wear when we got married was a pair of gap jeans that were clean and an old velvet blazer, LOL.

I am SO excited. I have to find out about travelling with my cats though...and trust my husband to find somewhere thats nice to live (I think women are better at choosing homes...)
Old 07-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
Master Chef

Italy! Wonderful! Good luck in that wonderful country!
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Good luck to you all!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior Cook

What does your husband do that they grabbed him so quickly and have a position for him right away?
What luck! Congratulations. You will just love Milano and the food there! Very nice and delicate!
I have a dear friend who lives there and let me tell you the people of Milan are very prowd of being from Milan. They think they have the best food and are the real sophisticated true Italians!
I do think the food is sensational also!