"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Master Chef

Mower for large acreage

We have 8.7 acres of land and in search of a decent mower, either a farm tractor or something else. The old 1941 Ford farm tractor is useless , tho the cutting implement is still good. Hubby has researched different brands, not sure if he wants to buy used or new. Any recommendations?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
four or five nice friendly goats ought to help with that problem! lol

Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

More info please

Is the land "lawn", or does it require a brush hog (rotary cutter)?
What kind of implement do you have now, belly mower, rear finish mower, brush hog?

I think you can't go wrong with a compact or subcompact tractor, but depending on all you might want to do with it, if you need 4WD or not, or if you want to reuse anything off your other tractor, makes a world of difference on the size you look at. And how quickly you want to get done with your mowing..... belly mounts are so much quicker to mow with.
And even the smallest tractor will still beat up your lawn a bit compared to a lighter riding mower with 2WD and turf tires. Plus riding mowers (lawn tractors) are so much more maneuverable.

Personally, I buy orange
Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
More info please

Is the land "lawn", or does it require a brush hog (rotary cutter)?
What kind of implement do you have now, belly mower, rear finish mower, brush hog?

I think you can't go wrong with a compact or subcompact tractor, but depending on all you might want to do with it, if you need 4WD or not, or if you want to reuse anything off your other tractor, makes a world of difference on the size you look at. And how quickly you want to get done with your mowing..... belly mounts are so much quicker to mow with.
And even the smallest tractor will still beat up your lawn a bit compared to a lighter riding mower with 2WD and turf tires. Plus riding mowers (lawn tractors) are so much more maneuverable.

Personally, I buy orange
we have a 1941 Ford Farm tractor with brush hog . The land is somewhat bumpy , not totally flat. I wouldn't call it a lawn per se , more like a meadow or field.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
DH loves his John Deere.... small tractor with interchangeable implements. Mower for summer, snowblower for winter.
I dont get why he says its so great, since the "unbreakable" is broken, and I am mowing 5 acres with a self-propelled Honda mower.
Note, I said I am mowing. :(
Old 04-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
Master Chef

Don't know where you are at, but what about letting it turn into a natural prairie instead of mowing it? Maybe even plant a bunch of trees as well?

I know of some good resources that could help you turn it into an arboretum, and even some places out here in Chicago that would pay good money for prairie plants...
Old 04-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
we have a 1941 Ford Farm tractor with brush hog . The land is somewhat bumpy , not totally flat. I wouldn't call it a lawn per se , more like a meadow or field.
I was waiting for you to answer...I was gonna suggest a 0* turn mower...but it sounds like the terrain maybe better suited for a tractor/bushhog...One option is a good used tractor along the same size as the old Ford...Then of course there is always the buy a new one option. A third choice might be, if you live in an area that offers such a service is just to hire some one to cut the field part every month, every two weeks etc...In the long run it may be cheaper, and certainly less wear & tear on y'all having worry with doing it, keeping up a tractor etc. etc. etc. I own John Deere tractors, but have some friends that have the Kabuto ....Yanmar is another excellent small tractor import. IMO the Japanese imports are excellent machines in the small to medium size range. So there are alot of options and price ranges out there for consideration...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote