"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I still don't know if it's mulch or compost. They are two different things. Compost is organic material that can attract rodents and might stink a little. Mulch shouldn't stink.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm so glad I dont have neighbors anymore. :)

Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I still don't know if it's mulch or compost. They are two different things. Compost is organic material that can attract rodents and might stink a little. Mulch shouldn't stink.
Compost should not smell bad - it will if you put animal scraps or fats in it, but otherwise it should just smell like rich dirt. Ours never attracted rodents, just the beneficial insects that help break it down.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I'm so glad I dont have neighbors anymore. :)
did they all move away or did you move? My brother built a house in country to get away from people that always told him he was doing wrong when he wanted t o do anything Neighbors used to be so helpful. Not anymore, why?I could really cry about the neighbors that used to be here. They would never come in my house and sit and talk. Always cooking cleaning or taking care of gardening. Funny, none of t hem had mulch piles and they had beautiful yard and full of vegetables.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
did they all move away or did you move? My brother built a house in country to get away from people that always told him he was doing wrong when he wanted t o do anything Neighbors used to be so helpful. Not anymore, why?I could really cry about the neighbors that used to be here. They would never come in my house and sit and talk. Always cooking cleaning or taking care of gardening. Funny, none of t hem had mulch piles and they had beautiful yard and full of vegetables.
ITK - re: your old neighbors, you can use artificial fertilizers to achieve the same effect, but some people prefer to use their own compost, to cut down on garbage added to the landfill and to be sure of what they're adding to their yards. Too much fertilizer can be bad for the local environment.

Mulch is a layer of protective material, usually tree bark or straw or grass clippings, used to help plants retain moisture and modify temperature extremes. It's applied directly to planting beds. Compost is a soil amendment that adds nutrients and relatively loose dirt to garden soil; for example, if soil has too much clay, water won't penetrate it, but adding compost will change the composition to allow more water penetration.

Which is type does your neighbor have?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Clay

The soil we have here is mostly clay. The neighbors who lived in the house that I am talking about had a couple who had a beautiful garden. The lady had flowers that seemed to bloom when others had quit. In other words, she planned for the garden to always have some kind of blooming flowers. I guess I may be ignorant about this but to me it was so wonderful how she tended to the flowers. The man would turn the soil over with some kind of machine roto tiller I believe it is called and then take a screen that he made and sift the dirt of any rock or other foreign things other than the dirt. If I would have had time i would have studied him more closely. It was education for me of the time I did get to watch. One thing they were always always busy. Oh, they ate their big meal at lunch they told me. In evening, was something not heavy. What a disciplined couple. I really don't know if they had mulch pile of any kind.

I can certainly tell the difference of people that want to 'mind their own business' and these people who want to upset you. When he ruined those arborvitae that really did it. I won't forget it, how can I. My brothers all helped to plant them. Ten of them 6' tall, sure wasn't easy. I just appreciated what they attempted to do and here is gets done for nothing. I don't have anything planted there now as I fear he may do something again.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
We moved because we had always wanted a house with a large amount of land. We are on 5 acres with the closest houses visable, thats about it. We always wanted room for large gardens, to be able to have room to be able to get our boys dirt bikes and stuff...
Our house in the city was 6 feet from one neighbor, 12 from the other. The closer ones had 6 kids and yelled alot.
Just prefer the wide open spaces I suppose!
Oh, and I do have a compost pile. It doesn't smell, but nobody cares, thats the best part.
I don't think if I had my small yard again however that I would make my pile near thier door. That's a little wierd. We had compost at our little yard house, nobody even knew it.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #18
Executive Chef

suziquzie

That's how neighbors should be that they are concerned about them and having it right next to the main door! This man has done things in indirect way to bother me. I don't think I would go as far as he has to kill his shrubs or make pile of mulch near door. I do have ill will against this man since he has done this but what can one do when you see them everyday?

Maybe he is mad t hat I told him to not keep coming in the yard looking for his kid's ball all the time. He seemed so durn welcome to do as he pleases. Now that he is getting different neighbors on other side of his house he is parking his car in front of their house. Hope they tell him about it. This guy just seems so forward and not really good neighbor.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

a bad neighbor can be a curse. there are several on my street in mobil home park. we live so close to each other , and no one makes friends with their neighbors. strange thing. they might wave , maybe.

i moved here four years ago, and don't really know anyone. used to be when my kids were growing up we knew each family on our street. we watched out for each others kids. not anymore.

any ideas on why that is true, these days. not many children in this park. they seem never to play outside. sad!!

mostly i get upset at loud music. kids sounds are just wonderful and bring back memories of my own. summer is almost here, and soon we will hear "red rover,red rover come on over"

i have one neighbor that spies on me with field glasses. i know because of remarks she has made about things i do. only way she could know is if she were spying. she and her husband are very old, so not really afraid of em.

sure got off track here, sorry

babe
Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #20
Master Chef

Site Moderator

It sounds like he is trying to build a compost pile. If he does it correctly it should be fine. It might be unsightly, but it should be fine. I have 2 and they so not smell at all, although I know what to put and not put in them.

Our neighbor used his for both leaves and kitchen waste, including WHOLE melons, squash, fruit, corn, etc. We had 2 problem with his -first the squirrels kept getting into it and tossing the big stuff in our yard and second, he kept putting ashes from his wood burning stove on the pile and setting it on fire which set OUR privacy fence on fire.. TWICE.

If it is just yard clipping and leaves it should be fine. If you see other things showing up on there then I would get concerned. The city/county might not be able to help unless there is a specific ordanance against it or it poses a health or other hazzard.