"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Mulch Pile

I have neighbor who has storage shed right next to my kitchen window. The mulch pile is the area where we come in and out of the house. I know sounds stupid setup but my question he just started putting grass clipping and some kind of dirt pile behind his storage shed. He won't see it but we sure can. It is not in any kind of container to cover so won't this start smelling in short time? Also what about bugs? This same neighbor put down herbicide that killed 10 arborvitae's a professional nurseryman came and told me that is what killed all the shrubs. Had them only 2 years so you can be sure this has not been easy to understand his methods. I am not familiar with mulch piles only remember my mother even threw coffee grounds in hers. She had it in back of yard next to alley. Bu t everyone had one back by the alley. I do remember if she didn't put some kind of lime on it regularly the flies were around it. I just don't even care to talk to this man about his ideas. What would you do?

I wish we could put up privacy fence but it is his fence on that side and he would surely make us take it down.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Master Chef

A properly maintained mulch pile should not be stinky. It may have an earthy odor, but by no means should it be an unpleasant smell.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I agree with sattie. It should not be a problem to you, it should not smell. You would have to get your nose really close to it to even smell anything.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Mulch or compost?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef

If he is composting and has put the herbicide killed clippings in, he'll have problems later. He's got to layer brown matter with green matter and it shouldn't smell, but will still be unsightly. Worms help decompose, and it will "boil" so it needs to be turned once in a while, bringing oxygen to the interior. It shouldn't be near house/garage foundation, especially if he's not caring for it. It could attact termites or carpenter ants. I believe termites eat rotten wood, ants eat good wood.
I would play ignorant neighbor and ask what's up.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
If he is composting and has put the herbicide killed clippings in, he'll have problems later. He's got to layer brown matter with green matter and it shouldn't smell, but will still be unsightly. Worms help decompose, and it will "boil" so it needs to be turned once in a while, bringing oxygen to the interior. It shouldn't be near house/garage foundation, especially if he's not caring for it. It could attact termites or carpenter ants. I believe termites eat rotten wood, ants eat good wood.
I would play ignorant neighbor and ask what's up.
I have a $3000 WOOD fence that I had some guys build as privacy to the main road. I would sure hate to have that be eaten by anything. This man ruined my shrubs I am holding my breath about this mulch. He is kind of guy get s idea but then he doesn't really maintain. This storage shed he has blocks his view of it but it is directly in front of the main door we use. Recently removed his dead Christmas tree that was dried and brown and now he started this grass clippings and some other kind of stuff laying there. I just don't want him to get too much and then he delays doing anything. He just doesn't want to pay for pickup of yard waste so he t hrows it there. Neighbors! All the good ones died. Thanks for informing me what to expect . This storage shed was put here so he could have privacy and now he wants us to look at his yard waste. I called the county to have them check on it and let me know if this is right. Want someone in authority to tell him it isn't right. He wouldn't listen to me.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Question (ignorant about mulch piles)

OK - don't mulch piles, if too large, get very hot and have to be hosed down just like timber piles? I'd ask the city about this stuff heating up and maybe starting a fire. I don't know how big a mulch pile you are talking about nor do I know if it's in the sun or how hot it gets. Do ask them, though.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Heck, forget all the above. Call the town code enforcement guy. They'll give him so long to clean it up, then fine him acouple of times, til finally (hopefully) (especially if it's a fire hazard) they'll clean it up at his expense. But keep after them if you do go this route. Document dates and definately take photos.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Yes, kitchenelf, they "boil", or "cook" while breaking down, turning offers oxygen and expedites decomp, and lowers temps. If you get normal rain and turn you shouldn't need to water. If you don't; do.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't imagine a compost pile getting hot enough to ignite. Can you put a fence on your side of his fence, or plant some shrubs there to block the view?

If he used Round-up as the herbicide, it breaks down to salts within two weeks, so it shouldn't cause problems later, with the compost or anything around it.