Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to laugh at myself. I have no idea who these are. I will go online and see if I can hear some. I don't know if you're that much younger than I or if it is because you're on the other side of the globe, but am curious.

Hi Claire :)

Robbie Williams is English and Ronan Keating is Irish, the band The Script are also Irish, Adele is English and Good Charlotte are an American band :)

I am a die hard 60's music fan .. best era ever ! I also love country and love songs at certain times.

Pretty much all day long anything that will make me want to move !

img_1158759_0_3b617e843fe53c4db028c6855839fdb6.gif

Thanks for the clarification! It isn't unusual for me to be totally out of touch with music that my nieces and nephews listen to, but of course the English and Irish is probably stuff I've never heard. I, too am a Grapelli/Django fan. I'll never forget walking into a music store after hearing jazz guitar and jazz violin for the first time (as background to a TV show or movie, don't remember). Luckily, with the advent of CDs it was so easy for the store clerk to play several different CDs before I heard the sound I was looking for. Now have a few CDs, each and one together.

We have almost no radio reception here in Galena. Galena is a type of lead ore, and the town is built on it, sometimes quite literally on top of old lead mines. Lead interferes with radio signals. I cannot stand static, it actually confuses me to hear it. I loved it when our new car came with a 90 day sample of Sirius/XM, especially on road trips (we drive to Florida at least once a year to help with family things).

I reckon I would be hard put to name a type of music that is my favorite. Might be easier to talk about the kinds of music I don't like.........

OK, enough of that!
Seriously, I enjoy all forms of music. I 'spect that many of the bands/performers I am fond of are not too familiar with most folks. You may have heard songs by:
Little Feat
Black Oak Arkansas
Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show
Leroy Troy
Doc Watson
ELF
Terry Reid
Johnny Winter
Ry Cooder
Well....this list could go on and on.

Hoot, thank you for reminding me about Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder, and Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show.

Oh, yes, Johnny Winter! Love his stuff.

Also his brother Edgar who had Rick Derringer (originally of the McCoy's of "Sloopy" fame and producer of many artists) and Dan Hartman in one of the evolutions of the Edgar Winter Group.

Love this one!
Edgar Winter - Free Ride (Live) - YouTube

Check out channel 60 on Sirius Radio. Outlaw country. Even DH likes it!

If I could turn on the kitchen radio, bedroom radio, the stereo and my computer speakers all at the same time, all tuned to different music AND if I were able to separate and differentiate different sounds ALL AT ONCE, I would be in heaven. Audio-Multitasking. Regrettably, I can only listen to one sound at a time.

What I like listening to is 1920's-40's jazz and blues, some big band sounds,
50's standards, not so much early rock, rock a billy though is cool.
Old and new country
70's classic rock, esp the Grateful Dead and related
some ethnic music, Hawaiian music is sometimes both soothing and uplifting.
And then there is just good old classical orchestral music.
The days are not long enough.

My son recently turned me on to this You-tube as one of his faves. I hope you like this one too.

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks (Live on KEXP) - YouTube

I love music. I was a full time musician for 15 years, and played all over the US (and a little in Europe). I'm not into country, rap, or polka. Outside of those genres, there really isn't much that I don't like. If I had to pick a favorite, I would say 60s & 70s pop, since that's what I grew up on.

Some of the newer groups I like are Gotye, Muse, Silversun Pickups, and Foster the People.

I love music. I was a full time musician for 15 years, and played all over the US (and a little in Europe). I'm not into country, rap, or polka. Outside of those genres, there really isn't much that I don't like. If I had to pick a favorite, I would say 60s & 70s pop, since that's what I grew up on.

Some of the newer groups I like are Gotye, Muse, Silversun Pickups, and Foster the People.

Gee, I'm learning names of groups I've never heard of. As a general rule,though, I like old music that I'm already familiar with. 50s, 60s, and some into the 70s.

Steve Kroll said:

+1 to silversun pickups

Gee, I'm learning names of groups I've never heard of. As a general rule,though, I like old music that I'm already familiar with. 50s, 60s, and some into the 70s.

+1 to now knowing a lot of the new music. These names are totally foreign to me and I used to be on top of all things music.

I just don't tune into mainstream music unless it is in the supermarket, when I am on hold, on the boombox of some teens sitting at one of the benches on the greenbelt beside me or a member of our youth group wants to share something! :)

+1 to now knowing a lot of the new music. These names are totally foreign to me and I used to be on top of all things music.

I just don't tune into mainstream music unless it is in the supermarket, when I am on hold, on the boombox of some teens sitting at one of the benches on the greenbelt beside me or a member of our youth group wants to share something! :)

I stopped listening to new music in 1999...when I got out of college, until then I was able to listen to every thing the kids were playing.

I'm totally stuck on Skynyrd these days.
Makes me wish I was alive back in the hippie days.
I bet there are a lot of old hippies on this forum though ;)

Sounds like I'm just another one in a crowd of eclectic music lovers. I'm not into rap or hip hop but there are individual songs in that genre that I can tolerate.

I think mostly my preferences lean to country/folk music. Looking at my mp3 player you'd see a lot of John Denver (my fave) followed by Elvis (love his music) then show tunes (Les Mis, Joseph and Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Cats etc). Love Broadway. Also have marching band music on there.

A few summers ago, we took the boys to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. We had a blast!! Lots of reminiscing by us and sharing love of good music with the kids. I loved the fact that 2 generations could enjoy the same stuff.

It seems most of you are of an older generation and its kind of surprising that I haven't seen anyone say anything about America. Imo, they wrote some of the best folk/rock&roll EVER. Do any of you listen to America?

It seems most of you are of an older generation and its kind of surprising that I haven't seen anyone say anything about America. Imo, they wrote some of the best folk/rock&roll EVER. Do any of you listen to America?

Yes I do! I just hit the big ones that I have just about all their songs. The Eagles are also a great group. My son (24 yo) found my double album on CD. Started listening to it and said he never realized how many of the songs he knew but didn't know the Eagles sang them!

Back
Top Bottom