"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #31
Master Chef

Sad day in the music world

Pete Seeger died today - at the ripe old age of 94. A symbol of "Forever Young", he was still performing live as recently as last September's Live Aid concert. He was a blessing to folk music and gave birth through his inspiration to so many musicians and groups that have come after him. In tribute, a classic number done by Pete and Arlo Guthrie (Woody's son and creator of that campy classic "Alice's Restaurant"):

Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Here is one of my son's videos....hope you like it. He has more stuff on his Youtube channel...http://www.youtube.com/user/ilvekyo?feature=watch

Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #33
Executive Chef

hot damn, roch! ilvekyo has come a long way with his music! he has adopted a distinctly authentic and current vocal sound and style that is all his own. add to that a driving, rhythmic dance beat, and an accomplished backup band that adds layers of rich texture, and they bring it! did you say that they entertain on cruise ships?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #34
Executive Chef

He is currently working on his own as a solo act on the Carnival Glory which sets off out of Miami every week playing guitar and singing cover songs. After he goes to Italy to visit his grandparents for a couple of weeks in May, he will return to Ottawa to continue with his band Ilvekyo. He is releasing an EP and is currently setting up a tour to support and promote it....
Old 04-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #35
Master Chef

Bumping this for two reasons. First, to make sure it's close to the top so Rock can keep us updated on what's going on with his son's band. Second, to try and purge my latest earworm by sharing it. EVERY time I call the health connector I'm told I'll get called back...or they will send that form (that I should have had a week or two ago) today...or...or..or. All I get is Promises!

Granted the song has nothing to do with health - unless you're talking about the health of a love-sick heart. But the chorus seems to creep into my mind every time someone "Promises" they'll do something...and then don't.

The Michael Stanley Band was a rock group out of Cleveland in the 1970s and beyond. They were really popular in northeast Ohio...and Florida.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Turn up the speakers if you like Rock and Roll.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #37
Executive Chef

^^^^^^^^^^
alright, alright, alriiiight!
time to bump up a music thread. i KNOW there're music hounds out there. you guys are just not sharing. or am i missing a more recent music thread? hey tattrat, hey pf, hey gb, hey pag, et al....
here's a fun music quiz for some of you oldsters like me. i got only 7 out of 12 right. how bout you?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/d...actually-about
Old 08-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #38
Master Chef

I'm a failure. I got only two right. And now, thanks to all the songs I saw flash by, I have one crazy earworm running through my head. Thanks vit!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got 4 right, but a few of them I've never heard of.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #40
Executive Chef

i didn't believe the lucy in the sky painting story then, don't believe it still. that song was about an acid trip, and announced it as such with the title. i was surprised about the meaning behind i shot the sheriff. and maroon 5....