Music Feeds the Soul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Got this idea back when I was posting in the (very addictive) Song Title thread. With our various age ranges and tastes (plus one real "I'm in the band" guy ;) ) I thought it would be interesting for us to have somewhere we can post links to songs we like. In your first post you can even share what types of music you like or don't like.

I'll listen to practically anything, but I have a couple no-nos. One is opera. Thanks, but no. And as a general rule I don't like jazz (unless it has a melody I can follow - think "Diane Krall") or country (unless it is heavy on the folksy - think Mary Chapin Carpenter). And in my opinion it isn't "music" unless it has a melody somewhere in there. That rules out a lot of urban/rap/electronically enhanced pop. Guess I'm too old for that.

The song I want to share first is by one of my all-time favorite artists, Judy Collins. Saw her in 1971 at Blossom Music Center, an outdoor venue with a covered auditorium area that opens to lawn seating. Saw her again about 10 years ago in a small setting, perhaps 2000 seats, when she did a fundraiser for a private school in CT. In those 3+ decades she hasn't lost pitch or breath capacity (she credited her treadmill). The following video was just a few months before she turned 74.

In honor of all the Dads. Have a good Fathers' Day:

Judy Collins "My Father" Live on Spinning On Air - YouTube

My speakers are detatched (thought I was getting a new computer) but Judy Collins is an old fave of mine. I'm 58, my husband 66, and Collins was hospitalized with my mother-in-law (TB) many years ago, so she has a special place in my heart.

I, too, have rather eclectic tastes in music, but, in fact, I prefer music I know, especially old pop, rock & roll (not hard rock) and rock-a-billy. But I joke that you'd swear I was 80 if you looked at my CD collection. I like some classical, and a bit of country. but most of the music I like to listen to, especially when working around the house or working out: I confess to an addiction to 50s and 60s bubble gum!

I'll listen to practically anything, but I have a couple no-nos. One is opera. Thanks, but no. And as a general rule I don't like jazz (unless it has a melody I can follow - think "Diane Krall") or country (unless it is heavy on the folksy - think Mary Chapin Carpenter). And in my opinion it isn't "music" unless it has a melody somewhere in there. That rules out a lot of urban/rap/electronically enhanced pop. Guess I'm too old for that.

DG, I could have easily typed that myself and what a nice choice you have for today.
I've been missing my Daddy for 27 Father's Days this year.

Lately I've been turned on to Brazilian Radio on Pandora. I don't quite know why, as I don't understand a word of the language, but the music just speaks to me.

I like a lot of pop and rock (not metal) music, for the most part. I do like jazz, but I usually listen to just instrumental and not singing. I like a little country, but very specific songs, like Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" - I love the lyrics :ROFLMAO:

I love the Beatles, Eagles, Journey, Styx, Fleetwood Mac, Jackson 5, Michael solo - the bands that were big when I was a teenager (except the Beatles - my stepmother had all their albums and I used to listen to them constantly with huge earphones). Lately, I've been listening to a Sheryl Crow station on Pandora - it includes Adele, Jewel, the Eagles, Kid Rock, Norah Jones, Colbie Collait, etc. I like a lot of songs whose artists I don't know :) Pandora is helping me with that.

Last winter, DH and I came across the Eagles reunion concert from 1994, Hell Freezes Over. I loved it so much, I bought the DVD. So here's Hotel California from that reunion concert.

The Eagles Reunion Concert When Hell Freezes Over, Hotel California inconcerttv on USTREAM. Pop

I'm also more of a pop/rock kind of listener. As a former "I'm in the band guy", I've played a lot of different music and have bands I've liked from each era.

My wife and I have been on a concert binge for the last couple of years. A couple of months ago, we saw Fleetwood Mac. And in the next three weeks, we have tickets to 4 concerts: Bodeans, Pat Benetar, Cheap Trick, and Sheryl Crow. In September we're going to see the Eagles. First time I've seen them.

I like all kinds of music from different eras. I enjoy Jackson Browne, Stevie Nicks, Peggy Lee, Cher and on and on. I am attracted to music that you can listen to in the dark late at night when everyone else is sleeping and the house is still a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other, wrist slashing music! I don't smoke or drink anymore but, I still like to listen. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Peggy Lee -- Is That All There Is? 1969 - YouTube

Love that one, Bea. I too like just about everything. Even some rap. I'm not as familiar with today's songs as I used to be, but I generally like what I hear.

Omigosh! My taste in music runs the whole gamut. The only music(?)I don't care for is rap and heavy metal, although I have listened to some bits of heavy metal that caught my fancy. Rap....not likely.

I think my openness to all types of music came from a music appreciation professor I had in college. It was his guidance that taught me to "appreciate" opera and other, what I had considered to be, highbrow or overly-sophisticated music fare. As a result, to this day one of my favorite pieces is Tristan and Isolde. I can close my eyes and get lost in the story of the music. For more frivolous entertainment, I get a kick out of The Mikado or H.M.S. Pinafore. These last two are considered operettas rather than the more serious "opera," which I also enjoy.

One of my favorite music genres is bluegrass and, as far as I am concerned, John Hartford is the master. His melodies, expertise and skill on a myriad of instruments makes his music nothing short of magic. He was a master storyteller and had a musical gift that hasn't been seen in a long, long while. If you don't think you know him, all you need to know is that he wrote Gentle on My Mind.

My music library includes everything from Frank Sinatra to Rod Stewart, to Tony Bennett, and Mariah Carey, Toby Keith, Keith Urban, Count Basie, Peggy Lee.....and more and more and more.....

i tried to think of a genre of music that i don't like, but each time i thought of one, i remembered a few songs from each that i liked.

i thought of country, but then a bunch of songs from johnny cash, patsy cline (as sung by elmer fudd), right up to "red solo cup" came to mind.

opera: orff's "o fortuna", wagner's ring, "pagliacci", and "la boheme".

gangsta rap: public enemy, ll cool j, coolio, and black sheep.

old school rsp: digital underground, sugar hill, run dmc.

ok, so i gave up. i like everything. even indian and japanese when i'm in the mood and setting.

ok, wait. i just thought of one. i hate phillipino love songs.

i tried to think of a genre of music that i don't like, but each time i thought of one, i remembered a few songs from each that i liked.

i thought of country, but then a bunch of songs from johnny cash, patsy cline (as sung by elmer fudd), right up to "red solo cup" came to mind.

opera: orff's "o fortuna", wagner's ring, "pagliacci", and "la boheme".

gangsta rap: public enemy, ll cool j, coolio, and black sheep.

old school rsp: digital underground, sugar hill, run dmc.

ok, so i gave up. i like everything. even indian and japanese when i'm in the mood and setting.

ok, wait. i just thought of one. i hate phillipino love songs.

bt, my youngest used to listen to Gregorian Chant when he was studying. Not bad if it is in harmony, but that is hard to find. I blame myself for his taste in music. He grew up listening to Gregorian Chant, opera, classical, etc. I can listen to some of the old country songs, songs of the 50's, and a few songs of later years. But I do prefer the music that were my childhood lullabies. :angel:

Bucky, I bet I could suggest a couple of genre of music that you wouldn't like. I make my hubby wear head phones when he listens to his pipe organ concerts, bag pipe music, or Mongolian throat singers. Agh!!! :wacko:

Made it barely a half-minute into the video before both the kitty and I were crying out in discomfort!

I despised bagpipe music. When we lived in our first apartment I was resting on the living room couch. The woman in the unit across the hall cranked up her stereo with that stuff! I thought I was going to have a heart attack from the sudden NOISE! Years later the mall I worked at hosted the area's Patrolmens' Tattoo in our large, domed center of the mall. We worked on the 2nd floor right by the dome. When they came marching in through the doors leading to the main entrance and paraded into the center and played I actually got goosebumps. WAY different than some scratchy record! When there was a solitary player walking the grassy top of the perimeter wall he was playing taps at sunset. Got all sniffly, then took my turn singing the National Anthem. Quietly. Only Himself was close enough to hear. Yeah, I'm a flag-waving citizen of my country.

I love the 60's but not limited to only that. Country is great. Actually only 2 I don't like - Opera and that thing they try to call music - Rap.

I do have more than a couple of favorites but these 2 probably pretty much top my list....

Never was a fan of Cher's music personally, but she does have an outstanding set of pipes! And I couldn't get into Stevie because she would be one of the women on Himself's "list" - IF I would even let him start one! :LOL: Once I got over my jealous wife phase I liked her.

I like all kinds of music from different eras. I enjoy Jackson Browne, Stevie Nicks, Peggy Lee...

Aunt Bea, the local Cleveland Friday night movie show would play "Is That All There Is..." as it went off the air. In that context, the song always makes me chuckle. Not exactly the mood the composer and artist aimed for. :ermm:

I like most anything...might be easier to say what I don't like -Gangsta Rap. I am married to a musician and there are guitar and guitar-like instruments all over the place. Electric and Acoustic, amplifiers...

Just found this rendition of a favorite...

Cups (Pitch Perfect's "When I'm Gone") (Director's Cut) - YouTube

That is a really cool video! Never saw it before, but now I want to see the movie - already added it to my "watch later" list at the library. Not sure Himself would sit through it, but we have a smaller TV (20") that plays DVDs. Take it into the sunroom, lay on the futon, kitty on my tummy...Oh Yeah!

OK guys, I'm out of videos to watch! Post more when you run across something good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom