Musical parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...So Andy, it isn't just that we are getting old and crotchety. Compared with our music, this stuff sucks.

Careful! I imagine our parents said the same thing about rock and roll, thinking about Glen Miller, Frank Sinatra, etc. No doubt they were thinking, "...compared to our music, this stuff sucks!"

My mother had no musical inclination whatsoever, but my dad was a pretty decent singer - and whistler. Funny how dads seem to have a knack for whistling.

I actually traveled the country for 13 years as a professional musician. Performed in 46 of the 50 states and 3 continents. I also had the honor of playing as part of an opening act for the Beach Boys (1992? 1993?), as well as birthday parties for both Don Rickles and Kenny Loggins (though not at the same time, lol). Those days are long past, though. Other than occasional gigs with the community orchestra, I don't play all that much anymore.

I try to keep a very open mind when it comes to music, and there are quite a few newer acts that I like a lot. Maroon 5, Foo Fighters, the Black Keys, and Coldplay all have their merits. And much as I hate to admit it, if you strip away Lady Gaga's questionable antics and fashion, she really is a good singer and performer.

I've always told my daughter that a good song is a good song. It doesn't matter when it was written. Every generation has theirs.

Last edited:
Lots of music in my house as a kid. My mom was a cellist w/ the local symphony and my sibs and I were all expected to learn to play piano and some other instrument. My maternal grandmother was a pianist who gave lessons later in life and played in some cool venues. Paternal grandmother was a singer who never quite hit the big time but instead spent years in the chorus of the metropolitan opera company. As kids we listened to all kinds of music and did a lot of singing. I still remember the entire H.M.S. Pinafore :)

Interesting breakfast fact: When I was really little my paternal grandparents lived with us; they were quite elderly at the time. Gran used to do her vocalizations (vocal calisthenics) each morning before her breakfast. Imagine a rooster visiting a proctologist and you have the sound about right... Then she had breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit sprinkled with a thick layer of brown sugar. Then bourbon poured on until the sugar was saturated. She also had some toast.

All that music rubbed off I guess. I have a band and sing a bit. I like grapefruits and can report that it's pretty good with brown sugar and bourbon ;)

I've always told my daughter that a good song is a good song. It doesn't matter when it was written. Every generation has theirs.
I couldn't agree more. To take it a step further, I think that it is counter productive to get wrapped up in genres. Often times I hear people say I like all music except rap. I am not a rap fan, but I have never come across a style of music I could not find something to like in it. I find it humorous when people are embarassed because they like a certain song or artist that might not be very cool or something. I like music because it makes me happy. If a song by Barny the purple dinasaur sings a song that does that for me then I will listen to it loud and proud.

Careful! I imagine our parents said the same thing about rock and roll, thinking about Glen Miller, Frank Sinatra, etc. No doubt they were thinking, "...compared to our music, this stuff sucks!"

Yeah, but I listen. I often can't be bothered, because trying to find good stuff is so much effort for so little return. It's not so much that today's music sucks; it is, for the most part, so mediocre.

I'm reminded of an argument my parents had. My mom was saying that the music teenagers were listening to was all junk. I challenged that I bet there was some junk when she was younger and she said there wasn't. My dad promptly replied that he remembered a song that went, "Hey Baba Reba" and repeated, a lot. (That's also the title of the song.) Ooh, the look she gave my dad :ohmy: :LOL:

It's not so much that today's music sucks; it is, for the most part, so mediocre.
I think there is plenty of great music still being made. It is not that todays music sucks. It is that todays radio played music sucks. But music on the radio is just a very small percentage of what is out there. There is a ton of music that never makes it to the radio that would blow you away.

Neither of my parents was musical. Neither one could carry a tune in a bucket. They both whistled. My dad could whistle tunes and my mom whistled bird sounds.

I had a really good singing voice. I couldn't tell when I was off-key. In glee club I did solos with a pianist who could follow my key and I was told to shutup and lipsync when we were singing as a group. :ROFLMAO:

I should have had voice lessons, but who knew about that in suburbia in the '50s? I learned to play the accordion. As a perq of turning 16, my mother told me I didn't have to practice accordion any more. I haven't played a note since. I hated the music I was given to play and the thing was danged uncomfortable to play. If I sat down to play, it pinched my thighs and if I stood up to play, it squashed and pinched my boobs.

I think there is plenty of great music still being made. It is not that todays music sucks. It is that todays radio played music sucks. But music on the radio is just a very small percentage of what is out there. There is a ton of music that never makes it to the radio that would blow you away.

GB, you are so right. I wasn't thinking of it that way. I was thinking of what becomes popular. I hope the internet helps that situation, so it isn't just radio-played music that gets to be popular.

I grew up in the early seventies listening to classical music that my mom played. Then I discovered the Beatles albums that she had stashed....I loved them! To this day I know most of the words to all their songs.

I ended up married to a {at the time} working musician. An electric bass player. The last band that he played with was a Skynard Tribute band who preformed with Artimus Pyle when Skynard was inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

My daughter who is now 13 is musically inclined, also plays the electric bass as well as the electric guitar. She loves the Beatles as well. We don't listen to the "junky music" of todays stylists .........no rap or Gaga. She gives me no end of grief because I don't care for Zep or The Who. And truth be told, The Stones make me cringe.

In the car I listen to Progressive Rock, which IMO is really good. First on the Island to play Adele and Super Heavy {Mick Jagger and Bob Marley's Son} Also Trombone Shorty + Beck. It's an interesting genre which DD is forced to listen to her mom sing.............Off Key:ROFLMAO:

http://www.wehm.com/ Check it out!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom