"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Master Chef

Musical parents

Any of you have mothers who sang constantly? Parents who played musical instruments?

This occurred to me last week because I was visiting with my ladies (ages 79 and 81), and heaven knows why, but I found myself singing, "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do ..." to the older woman. She was tickled pink because I knew all the words, and, yes, even at 57, I'm way too young to know them. Heck, Mom is. It was her grandmother who sang it to her.

There's a saying (and I might not have it right): Luckier than me you shall never be; I had a mother who read to me.

But I think "Sang" could be right in there as well.

Now I'm going to try to see which simple songs I know or can find, just a few stanzas to sing to her. My voice sucks, but she doesn't care.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Master Chef

My mother whistled and sang all the time.

She had a "theme song" for each of us.

Mine was you belong to me, I still whistle it.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

do you mean, "a bicycle built for two"?

it won't be a stylish marriage
for i can't afford a carriage
but you'll look sweet
upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two

my sisters learned to play piano and sing to that song. it'll be stuck in my head forever.

same goes for "papa, won't you dance with me", and "red roses for a blue lady".

and to the original question: my mom hums or sings something all of the time, and dad played records every free minute he had.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dad was the classical music fiend, always had something on the stereo or radio. Mom sings, badly off key, You Are My Sunshine, Daisy Daisy and on, lots of different tunes.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I come from a very musical family. My grandfather was the one who sparked my interest as early as I can remember. We used to listen to classical music together and he would have me pick out and identify every instrument I could. I do that with my kids and now and I see it as one of the greatest gifts I can pass them from my grandfather. I think the man sung more words in his life than he spoke. His sister (I think) had played piano in Carnegie Hall once before so music is in our blood.

As genes can be funny sometimes, musical ability skipped over both my parents. They did sing to me as a kid, but I am sure sure I would count that as a good memory Even though mom can't hold a tune to save her life (but she is 100x better than dad), she loves to sing to my kids. Any word or phrase can spark a memory of a lyric that will instantly get sung.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Mom Eva Played Piano Wonderfully

Good question.

My mom Eva was an accomplished piano player ... she had studied all her life. She loved Broadway show tunes ... and had hoped that I would have a musical ear; however, I am the publishing journalist ... and quite creative culinary wise ... However, I cannot sing a tune, though I love music and can do a wicked Walk, Disco Dance and I love the Tango --- however, I cannot Tango ... My younger daughter took up Ballet and Tango, at her request ... The older one, had done quite a bit of theatre during her University days ... I do not play any instruments ...

Margi.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

No one has ever accused me or my family of having any musical talent. I am not allowed to sing by SO or my children.

I enjoy music but have become the old fogey who sees no recognizable merit whatsoever in today's music. i am firmly ensconced in the 60s and earlier. (that's the 1960s)
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My mom had a beautiful voice, and used to do recitals, until stage fright got to her. She and my grandmother sang in the church choir for many years. I have, as DH describes it, a "theatrical" voice. I did a lot of musicals in HS and college. Can belt it out and carry a tune, but it ain't pretty.

Mom also could play piano. I took lessons, but totally sucked. I did enjoy playing clarinet and bassoon in HS.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My mom had a beautiful voice, and used to do recitals, until stage fright got to her. She and my grandmother sang in the church choir for many years. I have, as DH describes it, a "theatrical" voice. I did a lot of musicals in HS and college. Can belt it out and carry a tune, but it ain't pretty.
I sang in a lot of musicals, too...I got moved to lighting and makeup...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I sang in a lot of musicals, too...I got moved to lighting and makeup...
So I take it our next duet album won't be a big seller?