"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #21
Sous Chef

I'm probably a little late on this, but maybe you could mark a few of the recipes from the book, maybe a muffin, potato, and a soup recipe and get all the dry, non-perishable ingredients for them to add to the pkg with a little note of what she/he would have to pick up fresh.

Nice present Jan!!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #22
Executive Chef

No, you're not Jean. I keep revising the list and won't be able to add some of them until the last minute.

Raven, wax paper leads to so many other ideas. Shoot, I'm going to have to wrap all this in a laundry basket....which is an idea, too.

It's so nice to have 180000 to bounce questions and ideas back and forth. :)

Old 12-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #23
Sous Chef

"It's so nice to have 180000 to bounce questions and ideas back and forth" - but, what a time trimming it all down! Patience Jan, patience.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
"It's so nice to have 180000 to bounce questions and ideas back and forth" - but, what a time trimming it all down! Patience Jan, patience.
You are so right, Jean. btw, I'm going to the P.O. this morning. Somehow, someway, I got behind again.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
As far as the selection of spices goes, may I suggest also hungarian paprika and coriander (if they were listed and I missed them, soz!)

Also, as you mentioned if she is not an experienced cook she may have no idea what to do with all the spices. Maybe along with the spices a little booklet of spice and herb guide would be nice?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #26
Executive Chef

I was hoping she'd use the Joy of Cooking that I bought her. I just wanted to have the most popular spices and herbs so she wouldn't have to pop out to the market everytime she wants to cook something because I know how frustrating that can be.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

I think the spices that have been listed here and the suggestions as well have been perfect for what you are looking for. Another way to go about it is pick up some of your cookbooks and thumb through them. Make a note of which spices appear in the majority of the recipes you look at. Very quickly you will start to see a pattern.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Definately GB.

The wedding is in May so I just want ideas. I'm not going to make major purchases until I'm sure they are going through with it....

I cancelled my first wedding a week before the ceremony. My parents were not amused having put down all the deposits.

The 2nd time, as the Wedding March was playing, my eyes glazed over and dad kept saying, "Let's go Bo. Let's go Bo. Let's go Bo."

So he took hold of my upper arm and dragged my catatonic 110# body down the aisle.

It was a successful marriage for 15 yrs (but it lasted for 20) and I had 2 great boys.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I'd throw in a box of those pre-cut wax paper sheets (we've actually given them as Christmas presents and everyone loves them) from Costco. A subscription to Penzey's One magazine - great for articles on how to use spices and herbs. One really good knife!

What a great and thoughtful idea Jan!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Why thank you Sharon. I would have loved it as a new bride but she might look up, give a fake smile and put them in storage.

The jokes on her. I only live an hour and a half away so I can pop in for checks....