Must haves for new kitchen: spices and herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
I'm getting a kitchen basket ready for a wedding gift. So far, I have the New Joy of Cooking, nice S&P, baking powder, baking soda, dish towels and some kitchen tools.

Now I would like to add about 15 spices/herbs. This 'Gal' doesn't cook at all so I really would like suggestions of the most frequently used for a beginner cook. I have ideas but would like some input because sometimes I miss the most obvious.
Any ideas?
2.gif
I just thought of some marinades and rubs.

When I was a newlywed and wanted to try cooking, I'd get so discouraged because I never seemed to have all the ingredients so I would get frustrated, just put everything back in the frig/pantry and go out to dinner.

Last edited:
Check out Penzys. They have gift baskets that are designed for exactly what you are looking for. Their spices are amazing as well and the baskets look great.

I think breakfast is one of the easier meals to cook when first getting started. I would add cinnamon to the basket- she can put in french toast, pancakes, oatmeals, toast, custards.
Half baked, I think you are giving them a wonderful gift :)

Star, that got me to thinking about Bisquick and things like that. I hope I'll be able to lift this when I get finished.

GB, I love Penzeys but I want her to be able to look for them in the market. When I started cooking, I would have never ordered from a mag. Maybe I could give her some of those for Christmas one year, if I see she's trying and enjoying the kitchen.

HB:

Look at the Penzey's gift sets to get some ideas and b uy the stuff at the market. They have several different assortments.

cinnamon
mixed seasonings - great idea Andy
nutmeg
tarragon
rosemary
sage
thyme
Parsley
Now I'm thinking of Simon and Garfunkle

Thanks GB and Andy - never occurred tome to go through the catalog.

Last edited:
Parsley, sage, garlic grans, Oregano, Mint, Turmeric(ground), Ginger (ground), Cinamon (ground), Basil, Cumin (ground).

there are others, but the beauty with each of those it that by simply smelling the contents a Food type will spring to mind instantly, thus removing Guesswork and recipe books/knowledge.

a few assorted Buolion/Stock cubes would be a nice addition too :)

Some standard ones I would go with are:

Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper corns
Cumin
Oregano
Crushed red pepper
Lemon pepper
Chili Powder
Cayenne pepper
Dill weed
Bay leaves

Great ideas! ....each and every one of them. :)

Thank you all. I'll make my list and head off to the market.

Black Peppercorns
Basil
Oregano
Thyme
Rosemary
Chili Powder
Cayenne
Red Pepper Flakes
Cinnamon
Garlic Powder (the granules, not the chalky powdery stuff)
Onion Powder
Cumin
Turmeric
Ginger
Fennel Seed

Since she's a beginner you could try to add in some blends of meat seasoning, like Chicken, Steak, and Pork.

Maybe get her some Olive oil as well?

I have to agree with the lists posted so far. I'd go granulated garlic instead of powder too. My list would be shorter I think, and I would add a few other things as well.

Cookbook
Tea Towels/dish cloths
good lifter and silicone spatula
oven mitts
apron
GOOD cookie sheets

oregano
basil
chiles
chili powder
thyme
cinnamon
a couple of my own easy recipes with maybe a mix that I'd put together. (Brownie mix or a cake mix of some kind)

What a lovely idea this is. She will be so happy to get it.

A great place to go for little kitchen gadgets for the not-serious cook is a dollar store. I put together a basket similar to what your doing for a bridal shower this summer and found some simple spatulas, measuring spoons and cups, tea towels, hot pads, long-handled spoons, whisks, a splatter guard, etc. at our dollar store. They're not the greatest but work fine and are really appreciated by someone just setting up house and learning to cook.

Some good suggestions here, but I'd also toss in some Lemon Pepper Seasoning. Good for a beginner, and very versatile. I think you need a 'lemon' herb in there. You might also consider some sesame seeds, a bottle of REAL vanilla, bay leaves, and a good curry blend.

I wouldn't give either garlic powder or garlic granules. In my experience they both end up as solid rock. Why not a little squeeze bottle or tube or garlic, instead?

A whisk, a spatula, a cake rack for cooling, and a muffin tin might offer encouragement to cook!

Definitely a few basic recipes, perhaps made up into a little booklet, tied with ribbon.

Altogether, this is a lovely idea, and I wish somebody had thought of it for me, when I was starting out! You get 10/10.

Well, for me it kinda depends on whether we're talking meals or deserts.

For meals I couldn't exist without either Onions or those dried Onion Flakes (which I actually prefer since I don't have to chop them hee hee) and either Garlic Powder or Crystallized Garlic.

For deserts though, I couldn't exist without:

1. Brown Sugar
2. Cinnamon
3. Nutmeg
4. Powdered Sugar

Other staples that I never think about until I need them are:

1. All Purpose Flour
2. Cupcake Cups
3. Wax Paper
4. Cocoa Powder
5. Tomato Paste
6. Tomato Juice (I use tomato juice to thin tomato paste with since I don't like the way the paste reacts to water.)
7. Baking Powder
8. Baking Soda
9. Yeast

Back
Top Bottom