"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #11
Traveling Welcome Wagon

What a great "first," and a great picture!

Barbara

Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Awwwww, that's a great post, picture, and a great accomplishment!!! And that bowl of food she fixed looks yummy!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
Head Chef

Proud parent kvelling is sweet, too!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
My wife and I went to dinner Saturday night. I told the kids I'd get them a pizza and my middle one decided she wanted to do some "actual cooking." So, on January 10, 2009 she made her first bechamel. I think this ranks up there with first step, first word and first kiss, well, I've still got ten or twenty years before she starts thinking about boys =)

So, I walked her through a simple mac and cheese. She boiled some veggies with pasta. "I know what al dente is, dad!" she sighed. She melted butter, made a roux. She pulled it off the heat and stirred in the milk, heated it 'til it thickened. Maybe not enough, it was a bit thin, but she'll live and learn. She stirred in the cheese and a bit of mustard and miso, stated it, added a bit more salt. And Done!

I was so proud. If I could find her baby book, this would definitely be in there.
Proud papa, good for her! I wonder if you could find her a young people's cookbook as alittle surprise/reward, to acknowledge her specialness, and that you're accepting her growing/ and growing up?

Adorable pics. But don't tell her you told us; she'll be
"Ohhh, daaadddy".
Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Proud papa, good for her! I wonder if you could find her a young people's cookbook as alittle surprise/reward, to acknowledge her specialness, and that you're accepting her growing/ and growing up?
My daughter loved having her own cookbook when she was a kid. She never really developed an interest in cooking until she hit her 20s but now she loves it. We bought our granddaughter Hannah a Disney (can't remember the name, but we bought it at Lowe's home improvement store) cookbook (she loves Disney Princesses).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
Adorable pics. But don't tell her you told us; she'll be
"Ohhh, daaadddy".
And then she will secretly brag to all her friends because her dad was so proud of her accomplishment!

Barbara
Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
Executive Chef

that is priceless, thanks for sharing!