My baby's growing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vyapti

Sous Chef
My wife and I went to dinner Saturday night. I told the kids I'd get them a pizza and my middle one decided she wanted to do some "actual cooking." So, on January 10, 2009 she made her first bechamel. I think this ranks up there with first step, first word and first kiss, well, I've still got ten or twenty years before she starts thinking about boys =)

So, I walked her through a simple mac and cheese. She boiled some veggies with pasta. "I know what al dente is, dad!" she sighed. She melted butter, made a roux. She pulled it off the heat and stirred in the milk, heated it 'til it thickened. Maybe not enough, it was a bit thin, but she'll live and learn. She stirred in the cheese and a bit of mustard and miso, stated it, added a bit more salt. And Done!

I was so proud. If I could find her baby book, this would definitely be in there.

3191096671_c12998454c.jpg

Fantastic, beautiful food and even more beautiful daughter...You must be so proud..

kadesma:)

She's 11. She's always shown an interest in the kitchen and definitely in food. Her and her mom make very willing guinea pigs. Now, she's baking on her own, wants her own recipe box and is doing more and more on her own. There's a legacy of cooks in my family and I'm hopeful that she'll carry the torch.

Cute pic vyapti... and congrats.... might have a little 'chef' on your hands!!

You have a lovely daughter, vyapti - she has such a light in her face. I think I was about her age when I made my first family meal - meatloaf. The recipe came right out of that red and white checked loose leaf BHG cookbook. I'm on my third copy now. Keep encouraging her, and save that picture! It will mean so much to her someday.

Oh my gosh, your child is just lovely! Really! That picture could be on a package of pasta - I would definitely buy it. And she looks so delighted at her creation. I think this pic defines the phrase "Kodak moment". Thanks for sharing it with us.

My wife and I went to dinner Saturday night. I told the kids I'd get them a pizza and my middle one decided she wanted to do some "actual cooking." So, on January 10, 2009 she made her first bechamel. I think this ranks up there with first step, first word and first kiss, well, I've still got ten or twenty years before she starts thinking about boys =)

So, I walked her through a simple mac and cheese. She boiled some veggies with pasta. "I know what al dente is, dad!" she sighed. She melted butter, made a roux. She pulled it off the heat and stirred in the milk, heated it 'til it thickened. Maybe not enough, it was a bit thin, but she'll live and learn. She stirred in the cheese and a bit of mustard and miso, stated it, added a bit more salt. And Done!

I was so proud. If I could find her baby book, this would definitely be in there.

3191096671_c12998454c.jpg

Proud papa, good for her! I wonder if you could find her a young people's cookbook as alittle surprise/reward, to acknowledge her specialness, and that you're accepting her growing/ and growing up?

Adorable pics. But don't tell her you told us; she'll be
"Ohhh, daaadddy".

Proud papa, good for her! I wonder if you could find her a young people's cookbook as alittle surprise/reward, to acknowledge her specialness, and that you're accepting her growing/ and growing up?
My daughter loved having her own cookbook when she was a kid. She never really developed an interest in cooking until she hit her 20s but now she loves it. We bought our granddaughter Hannah a Disney (can't remember the name, but we bought it at Lowe's home improvement store) cookbook (she loves Disney Princesses).

quicksilver said:
Adorable pics. But don't tell her you told us; she'll be
"Ohhh, daaadddy".
And then she will secretly brag to all her friends because her dad was so proud of her accomplishment!

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom