"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
We have a bleeding heart that my wife planted when we moved into our house 16 years ago. Every year it blooms beautifully, but after a few weeks looks like it's on the verge of dying off, even though it's planted in the shadiest part of the yard.

It's a very pretty plant when in full bloom, but I sure wish it lasted longer.
With your winters there, I'm impressed Steve! That settles it, I have to have one.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

What a beautiful flowering plant. And so aptly named - in a good way!

Old 07-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

As soon as I pointed out "our" mistake to SO, she ran to the iPad to find care instructions for fuchsia. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
With your winters there, I'm impressed Steve! That settles it, I have to have one.
I have two kinds of bleeding hearts. The one you posted the photo of is spectacular, and tends to bloom just once a year. The other, less showy variety, is a repeat bloomer AND comes back every year. Instead of blooming along the length of the stem, the flowers form more of a cluster a the end of the short stem that comes up from ferny leaves. Besides that, they tend to disperse their seeds downwind. At least my neighbor in that direction was thrilled with the volunteers that popped up in her garden!

I don't know how many different varieties there are of the re-bloomer, but this might be another one you can consider.

New Garden Plants
Old 07-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My Bleeding Heart

As soon as I saw SO's bleeding heart was in a hanging basket, I figured it wasn't a bleeding heart. They're perennials, (though fuchsia are too, just not hardy) and need to be in the ground. Fuchsia are so pretty though, and make beautiful hanging baskets.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
We moved into our home this January and found this plant or tree that looks like an umbrella. Later in the spring it produced some little white buds that looked like cotton. All the leaves were healthy and green, it is a pretty plant. I have seen one similar much larger and taller, just like a gigantic green umbrella. I had great expectations that this one would become that way. Just a couple of weeks ago all the leaves started turning yellow and drying off. There are a few green left. We are experiencing some extremely hot weather and I am not sure what to do about it. Does anyone know what kind o plant it is and how to care for it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	umbrella tree 001.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	23130