My Bleeding Heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
No, not a country music song.

So has a bleeding heart plant in a hanging basket in the backyard. She noticed this afternoon that there is something growing on the plant that looks like a black olive. Any ideas??

Thanks, Aunt Bea. Ours looks like this. There is no flower involved. The pod is just there on the stem on its own.

Attachments

• DSC05042.jpg
    DSC05042.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 179
Andy, that's a Fuchsia, not a Bleeding Heart. I have several Fuchsia plants and have never seen that. Hmmmm

I agree. Bleeding Heart has long thin branches covered with heart shaped leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Aunt Bea. Ours looks like this. There is no flower involved. The pod is just there on the stem on its own.
Yes that's a bleeding fuchsia!
dontlaugh.gif

The seed pods can turn black. You can either leave them on or pinch them off.

Haha! That's funny. SO brought that home and told me she'd always wanted a bleeding heart. I'm not familiar enough with gardening stuff to know the difference.

So, is that a seed pod on our fuchsia??

Last edited:
seed pod

We have 2 plants. I pinch them off as soon as the flowers drop. It encourages more flowering.
Otherwise, the plant will put its energy into making seeds

We have a bleeding heart that my wife planted when we moved into our house 16 years ago. Every year it blooms beautifully, but after a few weeks looks like it's on the verge of dying off, even though it's planted in the shadiest part of the yard.

It's a very pretty plant when in full bloom, but I sure wish it lasted longer.

We have a bleeding heart that my wife planted when we moved into our house 16 years ago. Every year it blooms beautifully, but after a few weeks looks like it's on the verge of dying off, even though it's planted in the shadiest part of the yard.

It's a very pretty plant when in full bloom, but I sure wish it lasted longer.

With your winters there, I'm impressed Steve! That settles it, I have to have one.

As soon as I pointed out "our" mistake to SO, she ran to the iPad to find care instructions for fuchsia. Thanks everyone for your help.

With your winters there, I'm impressed Steve! That settles it, I have to have one.
I have two kinds of bleeding hearts. The one you posted the photo of is spectacular, and tends to bloom just once a year. The other, less showy variety, is a repeat bloomer AND comes back every year. Instead of blooming along the length of the stem, the flowers form more of a cluster a the end of the short stem that comes up from ferny leaves. Besides that, they tend to disperse their seeds downwind. At least my neighbor in that direction was thrilled with the volunteers that popped up in her garden!

I don't know how many different varieties there are of the re-bloomer, but this might be another one you can consider.

New Garden Plants

:LOL: As soon as I saw SO's bleeding heart was in a hanging basket, I figured it wasn't a bleeding heart. They're perennials, (though fuchsia are too, just not hardy) and need to be in the ground. Fuchsia are so pretty though, and make beautiful hanging baskets.

Last edited:
We moved into our home this January and found this plant or tree that looks like an umbrella. Later in the spring it produced some little white buds that looked like cotton. All the leaves were healthy and green, it is a pretty plant. I have seen one similar much larger and taller, just like a gigantic green umbrella. I had great expectations that this one would become that way. Just a couple of weeks ago all the leaves started turning yellow and drying off. There are a few green left. We are experiencing some extremely hot weather and I am not sure what to do about it. Does anyone know what kind o plant it is and how to care for it?

Attachments

• umbrella tree 001.jpg
    umbrella tree 001.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 153
Back
Top Bottom