My Cooking Commitment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
I have decided to take one cookbook from my shelf and cook every single recipe in the book. I let DH pick the book. He chose Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen (because it had lots of variet). So we'll see how it goes. I figured it would be a great way to try new foods and make use of my cookbook. I find that more often I am turning to the net for recipes. :)

So far, just made a quick chicken noodle soup from the book. Not bad. I usually don't follow a recipe when making soup, so definitely tastes different than I normally do.

That is quite a committment. I use my cookbooks more for reading and inspiration than for actually cooking. I do need to do more variety. Sometimes it seems all the meals turn our great and wonderful, then I hit a slump and nothing seems that good and we seem to have no variety.

That's an amazing challenge you've given yourself. What will you do if you come across a recipe that calls for something you absolutely can't stand, say like kidneys or turnip greens, whatever? Will you still go ahead and make it or pass it by? Hope you keep us all posted on your progress.

Were I to try something like this, I would DEFINITELY start with...

Cooking with Beer

What, you expected something different from me? :mrgreen:

John

RonJohn, would you make it to the cooking part of the equation?:LOL:

DH and I have already talked about the dreaded food list. It haven't found anything too bad. A couple of beet recipes that I'm a little nervous about. I found at a local store something called golden beets. I might substitute that cuz DH hates the red beets. (I'm trying to trick him). The most difficult part of this will be trying to stick somewhat close to the recipe, especially for the soups. I tend to be a tosser, toss in whatever I feel like at the time.

I've already noticed a difference in my grocery list. It's HUGE this week. Not big stuff, but a ton of herbs. I don't use fresh herbs on a regular basis. Other than Asian herbs.

Next weeks' recipes include: flank steak, tuna pasta salad, potato/squash puree, granola & lemony chicken.

This has already made me start eating stuff I would normally never eat. Now I just need to make sure I can still make room to squeeze some home made Chinese/Vietnamese!!!:)

Post Weekend Update

I've made the following (and have included my comments)

delux cheese burger (nothing special)
tuna pasta salad (surprisingly good, a bit different from my version)
Asian style cole slaw (not very good, I usually make an Alton Brown version)
flank steak with zuchinni/potato/yellow squash (pretty good, quick to prepare)
potato & butternut squash puree (Stepson was ok with this, but DH hated it, he thought it was sweet potatoes, I didn't bother telling him it was squash)

I'll keep you all posted as I go.:chef:

Last edited:
More stuff I've tried...

muesli (just ok, I like the recipe I normally use better)
cranberry pecan loaf (more bread like than muffin-y, but not bad for a low calorie snack)
microwave apple sauce (not good at all, not sure what it's supposed to taste like, but doesn't taste anything like store bought applesauce)
pizza w/ tomato sauce, basil and cheese (good, basic)
roasted red pepper (good, basic)

Isn't it amazing htc...how sometimes after cooking from a book...you realize you already have something similar that you like better? I think this would be fun though....I always wanted to do something like this...just never did. Good luck! Hope you find some winners!

I admire you. Every year I swear I'm going to make a monthly dish from my cookbook collection. Every year I don't do it. To actually work through one cookbook, recipe for recipe, is un-imaginable. I tend to pull out 2-5 recipes for a dish I want to try (among my multitude of cookbooks, Gourmet and Saveur magazines), then make my own. But I'm getting into a rut; partially because I don't have a lot of freinds with adventurous tastes and hearty appetites here.

I'm lucky that I have a friend who is always willing to try my cooking. I have already given her some of my dishes and the stuff that doesn't turn out very good, like the apple sauce, I can find a way to use it.

I find that I have to force myself not to modify the recipe too much. A lot of my cooking is on the fly and so as I'm doing this little experiment I deviate a little, but not too much. I just hope I don't get too tired of doing this. I've been going to a lot of potlucks lately, so that helps me try new recipes.:)

Back
Top Bottom