"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Well, we are bringing in the troops (family)--anyone who is able to come to show support for the family, as things are taking a nasty turn with the girlfriend. The doctors said last night that my dad is lucid (he was able to say what day it was and his full name, etc.), so if he wants the girlfriend there, the family can't do anything about it.

HOWEVER, we are not letting that stop us. The GF is not going to be left alone with him. My daughter has requested an appointment with the hospital's "something or other" counselor (can't remember the word, but he helps when someone is taking advantage of someone for financial gain), and she is contacting his lawyer.

The reason we (my daughter and sister--I'm too far away to do anything except give advice, like to call the lawyer) are having to move fast is that the GF last night completely ignored what the doctor said about having a good chance with surgery. She told my dad that he is dying and only has 13 months (the doctor said up to 19 months without treatment) and she just about had him convinced to check himself out of the hospital. She said she was going to take him to a cancer treatment place up in Anaheim. My daughter called the main headquarters for that place and they don't have one in California at all. The nearest one is Phoenix, AZ. They reasoned with my dad and convinced him (so far at least) that he needs to stay for the biopsy the doctor wants to do. Mind you, my dad has always been a very reasonable man, and he has never let anyone talk him into something he doesn't want to do. It is the tumor pressing on his brain that has him falling for everything she says. We are afraid that if she is left alone with him she might whisk him away, either into hiding, or to a wedding chapel, or both. We honestly could not care less if he wants to give her every penny he has--IF he is thinking clearly and is not being manipulated. We want him happy, but we don't want him manipulated.

I won't bore you with any more of the sordid details--sorry to go on!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Good Idea Barbara, keep family in the room. And get the doctor back in there to talk to your Dad again. He needs it all explained again with the GF and Family in the room as witnesses. Most likely a Social Worker in the room, too.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #33
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Good Idea Barbara, keep family in the room. And get the doctor back in there to talk to your Dad again. He needs it all explained again with the GF and Family in the room as witnesses. Most likely a Social Worker in the room, too.
Yep!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #34
Head Chef

What a situation you have on your hands.. sounds like this woman is complicated everything... there is usually at least one at times like these unfortunately :(

Please keep us updated Barbara! I am still sending good vibes your way...
Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 AM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I will keep you all updated as well as I can. They are working on getting me a flight as soon as possible, so I won't have as much computer access, but I will have some.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Good luck Barb, thinking of you and keeping your dad in my heart.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #37
Head Chef

Keep us posted Barb, hope everything is going well...hugs
Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sorry to hear about your dad's brain tumor. We will put him on the prayer chain here at our church. May God's peace be with you & your family during this difficult time, let others concern be a comfort to you & your family.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #39
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thank you so much!

I haven't gotten any updates today, but it is kind of a case of no news is good news. The biopsy yesterday went well, then he was left alone to rest (which also meant the girlfriend couldn't be there). My daughter said he was remembering things better yesterday morning.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm so sorry this is going like it is barbara. your dad's illness is tough enough than to have to deal with other issues.

i have and will continue to say a decade on my rosary for your papa.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote