"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #81
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks everyone.

I haven't reported all weekend because I was either too busy with what was happening or too tired to even think.

Friday night I went up to see Dad. The plan was we would watch the Canuck's game and have dinner together. He was in his wheelchair when I arrived which he hasn't been much lately. Things went well during the first period and then started to slowly decline. He got tired, only had about 2oz of ensure and 4 oz of milk for dinner and I started to hear a bit of congestion in his chest.

He made it through the game and they put him to bed as soon as it was over. I left when he was settled and he was barely able to stay awake - this was over three hours.

I got a call at 10:30 pm that his oxygen levels were way down, he was having trouble breathing and he was extremely agitated. DH and I were there within 20 minutes and his condition had dropped considerably. I asked Dad if he wanted to go to the hospital (he was on a strict DNR which meant only keep him comfortable which he clearly was not). He said yes and I literally ran for the nurse to change the order and get an ambulance. My sister arrived as they were wheeling him out and we all walked across the street to emergency. He was already inside when we arrived and it was at least 30 minutes before we were allowed in.

I will shorten the detail now. My sister and I stayed until 3 in the morning. Dad has aspirating pneumonia - meaning he swallowed something into his lung and it infected. This is a risk we have been living with for two years now. He has been "eating at risk" on a modified puree diet. We have been told that this could be fatal but he wanted to eat rather than having a feeding tube. He is being kept at a much better level of comfortable and they are giving him anti-biotic but the chances of it working are fairly low. This is the highest level of care they can give him under his wishes. The doctor he has is awesome - we had her last time and her father and mine actually knew each other back in Saskatchewan.

On top of all of this we had to clean out his room at the convalescent care facility.

My sister is in denial, saying Dad has pulled through before and will probably remain in this state for months. I understand - he had pulled miracles before. I, on the other hand, are leaving the details to the One and taking it step by step.

I now have to make lists of things to do from deciding funeral arrangements, talking to the care-coordinator about putting Dad on the list for long term care should he need it, stopping services to the house as he won't be coming here any more (oxygen, lifeline, his phone), calling his friends, etc. At least I can do this at his bedside.

Thanks all for your words, prayers, encouragement. It is going a long way to get me through this.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((hugs Laurie)))

Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #83
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Treating for comfort is always an appropriate option, I'm glad you understand that he will not fully recover to his prior baseline status. Your Dad's comfort and ease of breathing is of the utmost at this time.

As always, feel free to e-mail me with questions and any other assist I can provide. Love you!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #84
Master Chef

I'm sorry. I haven't been on in awhile. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So sorry, Laurie. {{{hugs}}}
Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #86
Master Chef

Laurie, all this brings back so many memories for me. I remember well what you are going through and you and your family are most certainly in my prayers. I hope you know that down the road you will be able to stand tall and proud that you did everything possible on this earth for your Dad. It will be counted and not be forgotten. Sending many blessings...

Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #87
Executive Chef

I'm glad you are taking things a step at a time. I'm also glad you and your sister have grown closer through this. You are still in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

my heart goes out to you and your family, lp, prayers closely behind.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #89
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks everyone.

When I went up this afternoon to see Dad I was horrified to see him in a state of panic. He didn't know where he was, he was saying he keeps calling out but no one has come to see him in a week. He was just not making sense and was in a lot of pain.

I found out that the nurse had not given him his noon pain medication because a speech pathologist was coming to re-do a swallow test they couldn't do in the morning because he was too groggy. Then the nurse went to lunch. In the meantime the doctor talked to me and (like my sister and I figured), the antibiotics are not helping the aspiration pneumonia and were actually weakening him.

So, I had to make the very difficult decision to take him off all medication except the pain and sedative meds. He can't eat or drink anything and is just getting a saline drip. They are calling in the palliative doctor tomorrow to see if he can be moved there. We have no idea how long he will hold on, but my sister, DH and I are all comfortable with my decision - we can't stand to see him suffer anymore.

So, I have my cell phone with me all the time, am making a list of all the things I/we have to do and trying not to think that I basically signed my Dad's death. I hope he knows I did it out of love.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #90
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks everyone.

When I went up this afternoon to see Dad I was horrified to see him in a state of panic. He didn't know where he was, he was saying he keeps calling out but no one has come to see him in a week. He was just not making sense and was in a lot of pain.

I found out that the nurse had not given him his noon pain medication because a speech pathologist was coming to re-do a swallow test they couldn't do in the morning because he was too groggy. Then the nurse went to lunch. In the meantime the doctor talked to me and (like my sister and I figured), the antibiotics are not helping the aspiration pneumonia and were actually weakening him.

So, I had to make the very difficult decision to take him off all medication except the pain and sedative meds. He can't eat or drink anything and is just getting a saline drip. They are calling in the palliative doctor tomorrow to see if he can be moved there. We have no idea how long he will hold on, but my sister, DH and I are all comfortable with my decision - we can't stand to see him suffer anymore.

So, I have my cell phone with me all the time, am making a list of all the things I/we have to do and trying not to think that I basically signed my Dad's death. I hope he knows I did it out of love.
We all know you have done everything out of love, Sweetie! Your Dad knows too, even though he can't say so right now. It is now time for His Reward. Love, Hugs and Prayers for all of you!