"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Where in England will she moving to?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
HOW EXCITING!!!

What a great opportunity that so few of us ever have -- to live in another country. And an interesting one at that. Expensive , but interesting.

Make sure you visit her!!!

If she's working, ex Pats get far better tax breaks than we do.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Executive Chef

It does so much where she is moving to. It is also important to build up relationships within the area. I moved here in 1980 having grown up in Africa - so a very different life but I love my home and wife, who are both English. I did miss my friends and the family left out in Africa (and also the weather!!!)
Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
Head Chef

Thanks for the replies! She is moving to Norwich (I am not sure of the spelling) She has been there several times. Her plan is to work on an American base until she can actually work there. Her fiance is in the British Airforce.

I do have skype and she uses it often to talk to her beloved. I guess I will be using it more once she gets there. I know she will be fine I just can't image her so far away! We go shopping and out to lunch every Saturday so it will be different without her. She is not like her mother. She loves to travel and is very excited to move.

I have met the parents while on skype. They are very nice.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Thanks for the replies! She is moving to Norwich (I am not sure of the spelling) She has been there several times. Her plan is to work on an American base until she can actually work there. Her fiance is in the British Airforce.

I do have skype and she uses it often to talk to her beloved. I guess I will be using it more once she gets there. I know she will be fine I just can't image her so far away! We go shopping and out to lunch every Saturday so it will be different without her. She is not like her mother. She loves to travel and is very excited to move.

I have met the parents while on skype. They are very nice.
I was born in Norwich. It's a lovely city and am very proud to be son of it. I no longer live there, my family moved when I was a teenager due to my father getting work elsewhere. I still support the football(soccer) team Norwich City, nickname 'The Canaries', they play in yellow and green. Norwich is famous for the best mustard in the world - Colmans English Mustard! It has a lot of history, I have to admit I've not there for several years, but I always used to love it's Castle.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
Master Chef

Wow, how exciting for her. Hope you do okay when it comes to the actual time. She has a cell phone, right?? LOL
I was fine with my son leaving Texas until the day he left, and he was only going to North Carolina. I lost it. I had to pull off the road crying so hard. Once he got there though, I was better. I missed him, but, I knew he was okay. You will be fine after she gets there and settles in. What a great opportunity for a young woman to get. I wish I would have had opportunities like that. Good luck to your daughter!! She will do great.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #17
Head Chef

We have been to the UK so many times we cannot donate blood in the US, mad cow disease y'know. If I moo during this post please understand.

We love the UK. Might consider retiring there if it just was not so expensive.

They even have Costco, yep.

The people are great and with the exception of that driving on the other side thing, something I cannot handle and don't, everything is managable.

Yeah we get a phone thingy every once in a while that lets us call very cheaply. I think it is through MCI.

Life there is a bit different, but wonderful. I love some aspects and would prefer others were different. But when we are there we are just guests.

Am sure you daughter will fit right in, the Brits are great folk.

Sorry your daughter will be so far away, but it will give you an excuse to travel.

God bless.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Head Chef

Small world James T.

I'll drop the soccer team's name to my future son-in-law when I see him in a week. He may be impressed that I know that little tidbit.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Small world James T.

I'll drop the soccer team's name to my future son-in-law when I see him in a week. He may be impressed that I know that little tidbit.

The stadium is called 'Carrow Road'
Old 02-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #20
Master Chef

I LOVE the UK and the people, etc, etc..........not been to Norwich but they have a great mass transit system that I would die for if it was in Houston......love their lingo, too...of course my hubby works for a British oil company (no, not BP) and so we often go thru London a lot-HATE Heathrow airport, however......what an adventure at such a young age--it's mum who's going to have to do the adapting--for your daughter it will be high adventure and something to talk about for years to come---they even have versions of Walmarts but they go by other names which I can't think of right now--even set up the same way but yes, otherwise it is very expensive to live there--you have perks, too, Mum, you get to visit.........