"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #21
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I LOVE the UK and the people, etc, etc..........not been to Norwich but they have a great mass transit system that I would die for if it was in Houston......love their lingo, too...of course my hubby works for a British oil company (no, not BP) and so we often go thru London a lot-HATE Heathrow airport, however......what an adventure at such a young age--it's mum who's going to have to do the adapting--for your daughter it will be high adventure and something to talk about for years to come---they even have versions of Walmarts but they go by other names which I can't think of right now--even set up the same way but yes, otherwise it is very expensive to live there--you have perks, too, Mum, you get to visit.........

Walmart runs a supermarket chain called Asda.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #22
Master Chef

Thanks, James, I couldn't remember the name but it felt like home to be in there---hahaha!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Thanks, James, I couldn't remember the name but it felt like home to be in there---hahaha!

Theres several chains of supermarkets in the UK. Sainsburies, Tesco and Morrisons all offer the same experiance in Asda, but all in slightly different styles.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #24
Master Chef

I've been to a Tesco's and loved that as well.....Sainsbury's is a staple and the people are just as nice as in Texas--the ones in Reading think that I'm a hoot.......they always ask me where I'm from.....
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #25
Head Chef

Elaine, I lived in England for three years, about 30 miles from Norwich, and often went there to shop. It is a beautiful city and the English people are warm and friendly. It is easier to live in a foreign country where the people speak the same language - I am still struggling with my Spanish, but love living in Mexico. My son and his family live in Wuhan, China, where he and his wife teach in an international school. So if it weren't for Vonage, our family would never get to talk to each other! I am not saying it is easy. Try to think of it as entering a different phase of your lives - your dear daughter will be the richer for having this wonderful experience. And her in laws-to-be must be very nice people, to invite her for such a lengthy visit. I like the idea someone suggested of sending them flowers. Gets everyone off on the right foot....will they come to the US for the October wedding?