My daughter is moving to England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
My daughter is moving to England on March 1st. I am sad but excited for her. She will be returning home in Oct for her wedding (or else) I really don't know the point of this thread. I think I am looking for support? Someone to tell me how wonderful it will be for her over there and how I will be just fine. I guess I am writing the script! I notice many of you live in England. If you see a young woman walking around dazed and confused, it may be her!!! Just kidding. She will be staying with her hubby to be and his family. I have not met the family yet just the groom.

So encouraging words? :angel:

HOW EXCITING!!!

What a great opportunity that so few of us ever have -- to live in another country. And an interesting one at that. Expensive :ohmy:, but interesting.

Make sure you visit her!!!

WOW, sounds like me! I left my home in California and moved to Bristol England to live with my Brit husband. I've been here for two years but we are moving back to California this June.

I would love to write an encouraging post, but life here has been very difficult for me. Adjusting to how different England is, the weather, leaving my life, friends & family was rough. But I have grown to be even more independent and stronger. I don't like living away from my family and that is the main reason we are moving back. My husband isn't as close to his family as we are to mine and we both prefer to live in California than here.

Some things that are great about living here is the convenience of European travel, PIE's, cider, funny Brits, country villages, London, castles, and the best chocolate!

I would suggest that she get Skype so it's super cheap for you to call her. Instant messenger on the computer and emails have been a life saver for me...and my family! Cards, letters and care packages are what I live for! They make all the difference to me, the connection I still have with my family & friends.

It also depends on where she is leaving and where she is going. Some expats really like life here and would never move back to the US. Others have a hard time adjusting and prefer the US and eventually move back. I moved here solely to be with my husband (we met on Match.com!). I sold everything I owned and brought my dog over here, I didn't know anyone but my husband! It was a huge risk but I was willing to take it. I'm certainly glad I did because I married the most amazing man!

My Dad and I are very close and it's been the hardest on him. He calls me every other day and emails me constantly. He sends me care packages of my favorite things I cant buy here and many cards. He and I often talk about how parents don't have control over there children's decisions on where they live. He said my leaving was the hardest thing for him, but all he wanted was my happiness. And if that meant me moving here, he was happy for me.

Maybe what would be good for you is to talk to her family on the phone and get to know them a bit. I'm sure they have to know how hard it will be for you when she leaves. Remaining close and making the effort to do just that is what keeps relationships going, no matter how far we apart we are. :)

Last edited:
Dear Elaine, Ouch! I hope you will be ok and your daughter as well. It's been my casual observation that daughters often don't do all that well moving away from "home" turf. Not a scientific observation and not necessarily all daughters. I hope for you both.

elaine I,
I am sure he will manage, we have way more will and internal resources than we possibly imagine. I moved to USA 20 years ago and love visiting my parents every year, the distance made me appreciate them much more.
Relative to her new family, do not worry so much. We can't control circumstances, but we can take care of our reactions to them.
Remember not to swim against the tide, just ride it because sooner or later, it will change.
As someone suggested, get one of those VoiP phone systems. I use Broad Voice, for about $15/month you can talk all you want internationally.
And think about what to do with the free time you will have now ! Enjoy it...

A close friend of mine moved to London for a job which was supposed to be a temporary assignment but has stayed there for 15 years because she loves the place.

Maybe it's different being in London???

I think it's very exciting. Think of it as an opportunity for you to do some traveling in that part of the world. I've been to England twice and loved it. Best of luck to your daughter, I hope she'll be very happy.

elaine-l, All I can say is try not to worry too much. If your daughter were moving anywhere near to us I would go out of my way to let her know how warmly welcome she is and that English people are neither cold nor reserved and can be loyal and wonderful neighbours.
You will understand a little of how we feel as, in all probability our daughter and grand daughter are going to live in the States for 2 years.
What I pray for more than anything is for both of them to know peace of spirit and true inner happiness in the face of all life holds for them.
We are all here for one another and I'm sure your daughter will be safe and happy. How could she not with her loving Mother thinking of her every day.:)
Would it help you in any way to send some interflora flowers to the Mother in- Law to be as a thank-you for her taking your daughter under her wing and a greeting to the Groom's family?

Last edited:
Elaine, that is so very exciting for your daughter. After she gets settled, you should visit if you can. England is very far away but with email, webcams, skype and phones, you will still be able to keep in good contat with your daughter.

what part of England will she be living in? My husband has a potential business partner who lives just outside of London and we have discussed the possibility of moving to the UK as well. It would be very hard to leave my elderly mother and family, but living overseas would be a wonderful opportunity to experience a whole other way of life.

Good luck to you and your daughter - keep us posted.

HOW EXCITING!!!

What a great opportunity that so few of us ever have -- to live in another country. And an interesting one at that. Expensive :ohmy:, but interesting.

Make sure you visit her!!!

If she's working, ex Pats get far better tax breaks than we do.

It does so much where she is moving to. It is also important to build up relationships within the area. I moved here in 1980 having grown up in Africa - so a very different life but I love my home and wife, who are both English. I did miss my friends and the family left out in Africa (and also the weather!!!)

Thanks for the replies! She is moving to Norwich (I am not sure of the spelling) She has been there several times. Her plan is to work on an American base until she can actually work there. Her fiance is in the British Airforce.

I do have skype and she uses it often to talk to her beloved. I guess I will be using it more once she gets there. I know she will be fine I just can't image her so far away! We go shopping and out to lunch every Saturday so it will be different without her. She is not like her mother. She loves to travel and is very excited to move.

I have met the parents while on skype. They are very nice.

Thanks for the replies! She is moving to Norwich (I am not sure of the spelling) She has been there several times. Her plan is to work on an American base until she can actually work there. Her fiance is in the British Airforce.

I do have skype and she uses it often to talk to her beloved. I guess I will be using it more once she gets there. I know she will be fine I just can't image her so far away! We go shopping and out to lunch every Saturday so it will be different without her. She is not like her mother. She loves to travel and is very excited to move.

I have met the parents while on skype. They are very nice.

I was born in Norwich. It's a lovely city and am very proud to be son of it. I no longer live there, my family moved when I was a teenager due to my father getting work elsewhere. I still support the football(soccer) team Norwich City, nickname 'The Canaries', they play in yellow and green. Norwich is famous for the best mustard in the world - Colmans English Mustard! It has a lot of history, I have to admit I've not there for several years, but I always used to love it's Castle.

Wow, how exciting for her. Hope you do okay when it comes to the actual time. She has a cell phone, right?? LOL
I was fine with my son leaving Texas until the day he left, and he was only going to North Carolina. I lost it. I had to pull off the road crying so hard. Once he got there though, I was better. I missed him, but, I knew he was okay. You will be fine after she gets there and settles in. What a great opportunity for a young woman to get. I wish I would have had opportunities like that. Good luck to your daughter!! She will do great.

We have been to the UK so many times we cannot donate blood in the US, mad cow disease y'know. If I moo during this post please understand.

We love the UK. Might consider retiring there if it just was not so expensive.

They even have Costco, yep.

The people are great and with the exception of that driving on the other side thing, something I cannot handle and don't, everything is managable.

Yeah we get a phone thingy every once in a while that lets us call very cheaply. I think it is through MCI.

Life there is a bit different, but wonderful. I love some aspects and would prefer others were different. But when we are there we are just guests.

Am sure you daughter will fit right in, the Brits are great folk.

Sorry your daughter will be so far away, but it will give you an excuse to travel.

God bless.

Small world James T.

I'll drop the soccer team's name to my future son-in-law when I see him in a week. He may be impressed that I know that little tidbit.

I LOVE the UK and the people, etc, etc..........not been to Norwich but they have a great mass transit system that I would die for if it was in Houston......love their lingo, too...of course my hubby works for a British oil company (no, not BP) and so we often go thru London a lot-HATE Heathrow airport, however......what an adventure at such a young age--it's mum who's going to have to do the adapting--for your daughter it will be high adventure and something to talk about for years to come---they even have versions of Walmarts but they go by other names which I can't think of right now--even set up the same way but yes, otherwise it is very expensive to live there--you have perks, too, Mum, you get to visit.........

Back
Top Bottom