My dog is on her last legs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, Half Baked. I needed that too after having a cat put down not that long ago and his mum what seems like not long before that.

Snoop Puss said:
I'm about to get a dog in the next few months, and I've learnt a lot from reading this thread. Our local vets even sell all those things like pig's ears, chews and those rope and twisted cotton toys. I always thought the toys were good for the animals teeth - a kind of tooth brush and a bit of fun exercise. If vets sell them, how are we supposed to know they're not good for animals?

Just because the vet sells it or recommends it doesn't mean it's healthy. One need only look at the way they vaccinate every year for things most of our pets have already built up immunities to and knowing full well that they are going to be changing the vaccs protocols as soon as they can come up with a way not to lose 60% of their revenue. At least in the USA.

That said, like cooking, you need to gather as much information as possible and make an informed decision yourself.
Most toys/chews come with a "Always supervise your pet" clause somewhere. Most pets do fine, some do not. Like the big Greenie scare last year where a few pets died from the lodged chunks, but look at the millions who didn't have a problem and get one daily. Pets have choked on kibble dog food and died.....
You need to evaluate your particular pet and do what's best for you both.

I am very sorry to hear about your beloved pet...
maybe the memories it brought to you threw the years will
offer some comfort to your broken heart...
losing a pet is hard...My thoghts are with you...

So sorry to hear about your pooch.
Take heart in knowing you're doing what's best....
This is taken from "The Dog's Prayer"....

"And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands."

Goodweed of the North said:
I know that there are those who think, well, she's not like a real human and you can always get another dog. I don't understand how people can think like that. Though they may not be as smart as people (at least most people), they have intelligence, personality, emotions, and a spirit. They are not little machines, or hunting tools, or toys, or protection devices. They are living creatures. And yes, I feel that way about all living creatures. Just as I am animated by a spirit, so too are they.
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I'm with you on dogs having their little personality that make us melt over them. I have fallen in love with our new puppy and I know she will be irreplaceable when she's gone. I hope something can be done for your dog. Have you considered surgery?

Goodweedl, I am sorry to hear about Kaysee. It just breaks my heart to think about her. Our animals sure do become an important part of our families. My dog is like my best friend. He is always glad to see me no matter what kind of day I have had. Take care and I will be thinking of you and Kaysee.

Hugs, SC

Half Baked said:
I've been avoiding this thread like the plague since my heart is still so raw from having our beloved Skeeter put down but I realized that it wasn't fair. You all were so good to me.

Goodweed, we all do the best we can with the resources that we have. You know Kaysee had a wonderful life with you and she'll be free of her pain. omg, how it hurts to lose a pet...but she can't live in misery. I kept Skeeter alive at least a month too long because I selfishly wanted to keep him by me.

I feel so very sorry for you and I have tears in my eyes, too.

<Rainbow Bridge>

rbowx.gif
Rainbow Bridge
rbowx.gif

[SIZE=+1]Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

You just made me cry!! I hope I see my pets someday when we are at Rainbow Bridge...
[/SIZE]

Goodweed, so sorry I didn't get a chance to post a reply until now... my thoughts will be with you and kaysee today. Try not to be too sad... keep the poem Halfbaked posted above in your heart, she will be going to a better place, where she no longer suffer, and will be watching over you from above. Please don't beat up on yourself too much over what could have been, or what you may have done wrong... My little winter white hamster feasted on sweet treats, cheeses and all sorts of people food all along, which I discovered with horror very late in his life that those things are absolute no-no's for hamsters of his type, that this kind of food could kill them. However he exceeded the normal life expectancy of hamsters almost by double, and was always robust, happy and full of energy. You gave her a happy, full life... and all the love any pooch could wish for. You shared a special part of life together, and her little spirit will stay on in a special spot of your heart forever. Kaysee was fortunate to be loved and cared by you during her time on this earth, and she will remember that, too.

(((Hugs))) to you and kaysee.

I'm not quite sure she's going anywhere yet. She was able to eat and keep down a bit of food last night. This is the first time she has eaten anything that stayed down for several days. If she can get nourishment, then maybe the stool softening medicine has done some good and the blockage is breaking up. A bit more time will tell. I will keep everyone posted.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I was avoiding this thread for personal, selfish reasons. Sorry Goodweed. My prayers are with you and your family including the dog.

We feed raw bones, made the swap over many years ago...and they ARE good for you pets imo, its the cooked ones you have to avoid.

Anyway, give her a big hug from me, and keep doing what you are doing because with any luck its working.

I'm not quite sure she's going anywhere yet. She was able to eat and keep down a bit of food last night. This is the first time she has eaten anything that stayed down for several days. If she can get nourishment, then maybe the stool softening medicine has done some good and the blockage is breaking up. A bit more time will tell. I will keep everyone posted.

That's GREAT news! Maybe the blockage will clear itself and pass without harm. My fingers are crossed for you.

GW:

I am sad thinking about what you are going through. It's a special pain yu feel when your dear friend is suffering.

Awesome news GW!!! A glimmer of hope which I will kindly hold on too!!!!! Come on Kaysee... we need ya girly!!!! Thanks for the update GW!!

That is great!! A hope for kaysee to stay with you a bit longer without suffering, wonderful!! And hope is always a nice thing to believe in. Let's all believe in that, and may she be able to stay with you and stay well for much longer than we would have thought!!

Goodweed, I also had been avoiding posting (mainly due to not knowing the words to say), but saw your recent post and am praying that your Kaysee pulls through. I am basically a cat person but they are no less loved than people who have dogs as their main pet. They are our 'babies' and anyone who doesn't own (wrong word, our pets own us I sincerely believe) a cat or a dog or any other variety of pet just does not understand the depth of our feelings for our pets. Someone above posted the poem 'The Rainbow Bridge' and I sincerely believe that if Kaysee doesn't pull through she will be waiting for you when you pass over. I know I will have at least 6 cats up there waiting on me when it's my time. I buried my last cat 3 years ago and I still get teary eyed when I find something that belonged to her, and I swear I see an apparition of her out of the corner of my eye sometimes (or it could be a figment of my imagination). In the last 3 or 4 months of her life she had gone into renal failure (not unusual for Siamese cats), and the vet had shown me how to keep her hydrated by shoving a needle under her skin and letting a bag of IV fluids go in (and this from a girl who absolutely despises needles). Well she kept getting worse and then she found a new hiding place and I couldn't find her for a couple of days. When she did come out (she was in my bedroom somewere, she was terribly dehydrated and wobbling. I grabbed her and got her to the vets place immidiately. She stayed with them overnight getting fluids, and I had to go to work that night. When they called me the next morning at work and told me to get down there I knew something was bad. The other tech's in the room knew about my pet and offered their condolences, and off I went to the vets. She was utterly miserable and wasn't doing good at all. They gave me several options on of which was putting her on dialysis, which I didn't want her to have to go through, so I decided it was time to say goodby to my beloved Fancy Face. The Dr. there had told me I would have about 1 to 2 years with her, and it turned out I had only one month left with her. They let me hold her while they injected her and let me hold her until she died. Since I didn't have anyplace to bury her, the vet offered her place. She owns a farm and part of it is dedicated to deceased pet from her business, so that's where Fancy is buried. After it was all over and said and done, I went home crying all the wayThis is another reason why I was avoiding posting, I tend to rabble on, sorry. I feel for your impending loss, but am also praying that she is starting to pull through this current mess she's in. Good luck and I hope she gets better.

Last edited:

Ahhh, the power of prayer...for all of God's creatures! I hope Kaysee continues to improve. She's definitely in our prayers, as are you Goodweed and your family.

Back
Top Bottom