"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I hope things change for the better for your dog between now and Monday.

Bones are not digestible, as much as they love their bones. We stopped giving our dog marrow bones from the market because they would chip and he would eat it, and suffer with bowel problems the next day. He only gets dry dog food now, and fruits, vegetables that are safe for dogs to eat. No grapes or raisins! (toxic to dogs).

Old 02-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Oh Goodweed...I am so sorry to hear that! Death is always a hard thing whether it be your pet o r a family member. I couldn't imagine life without my three babies. We are all here for you if and when you need to let the tears flow. She seemed to live a great life and she will remember you as giving her that. She'll never forget you! I hope things go well and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:37 AM   #33
Executive Chef

We are all with you Goodweed. I'll be thinking of Kaysee and all of your family.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

I am sorry to hear about your dog!
I understand the agony you must be feeling. I had a similiar situation with one of my "babies".
Thank you for being such a loving pet owner!!!!! Your dog is very lucky to have you as a friend!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #35
Master Chef

GW, I am so very sorry that you are going through such a hard time. I My prayers are with you!!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Goodweed, I understand how you feel knowing that anytime your pet dog is going to leave you. It's always hard to part with a loved one especially one who is a great companion to you. Just hoping against hope that a great miracle could happen!!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Having just lost one to a ruptured spleen the memory is still too recent and I know how you feel. The decision you make should be carried out quickly for the pet's comfort.

You kept saying bones. Pork chop I believe. I don't even have to ask, they were cooked weren't they. I'm surprised they only caused a blockage. One should never feed cooked bones to their dog (or cat). Cooked bones can splinter and can't be digested. Raw bones of any kind are OK, but if your pet isn't used to them they might give some pets the runs if only given sporadically.
I know this is a cooking forum, but for those that don't realize, those smoked bones that are becoming so popular as retail items in pet stores are also a cooked bone. Smoking is cooking after all. So if you give your pet those, please stop.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Im so very sorry. I have two cats and they are like my kids. Hang in there man.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:38 PM   #39
Head Chef

Sorry to hear your news, Goodweed. It's a heartbreaking situation.

I'm about to get a dog in the next few months, and I've learnt a lot from reading this thread. Our local vets even sell all those things like pig's ears, chews and those rope and twisted cotton toys. I always thought the toys were good for the animals teeth - a kind of tooth brush and a bit of fun exercise. If vets sell them, how are we supposed to know they're not good for animals?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #40
Executive Chef

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague since my heart is still so raw from having our beloved Skeeter put down but I realized that it wasn't fair. You all were so good to me.

Goodweed, we all do the best we can with the resources that we have. You know Kaysee had a wonderful life with you and she'll be free of her pain. omg, how it hurts to lose a pet...but she can't live in misery. I kept Skeeter alive at least a month too long because I selfishly wanted to keep him by me.

I feel so very sorry for you and I have tears in my eyes, too.

<Rainbow Bridge>

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...