"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen
My favorite local market is Italian - what's yours?

Today I went to my favorite little italian market for genoa salami, capocolla, a few other meats and good cheeses, 5 lbs of sausage (theirs is fantastic!), breadsticks, olive oil, cookies and pasteries. Here they are:

My stomach growls when I even read their recipes!

So, tell us about your favorite local market, and share their site.

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
mine's the west side market. they have anything and everything there.

middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Head Chef
The polish market - they have some of the BEST sausage! And the guys behind the counter speak better polish than english...

That tub with the pickled herring is scary though!

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
This is my favorite place to go...

MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I really like the fruit stands in my town, too bad they're seasonal.
Also, a great little italian place, I can buy capiccola from fairly inexpensive.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
ronjohn, pickled herring is delicious. great with some buttered hard rolls and a cold one.
and you call yourself a pollock... hrmph!!! now go out and display something with a crowned eagle on it, and tell the ice hockey team to be careful once the weather warms...

for me, it's a threee way tie. of course, i love italian markets. fresh ricotta and buffala mozz, salume of every description, stuffed stuff (peppers, olives, artichokes, etc.), bresaola and prosciutto, fresh bread and pasta. i could go on all day.

but my next 2 favorite markets are just as fascinating and wide ranging.

i love to stop off at a huge korean matket near my house called han ah reum. there are so many exotic and bizarre things there to try. sometimes i have no clue what i'm eating, but you only live once. no they don't sell fugu.
but they do have every other fish in the sea, and vegetable on land and sea. and much of it kimchi style...

the other favorite market is the farmers market in paterson new jersey. the local neighborhood consists of a large hispanic community, only broken up by enclaves of muslims, eastern europeans, and american mutts like me. so, besides having great prices, there is an incredible mix of both fresh domestic and ethnic produce. you can pick up some store made chorizo, imported kielbasi, halal lamb, and fresh fruit and veggies of every kind right down 1 or 2 blocks of stores.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
Executive Chef
Unfortunately, we don't have much in the way of specialty markets here. But I absolutely love our farmer's market. The produce is so fresh and tastes so good compared to what you get at the grocery store. Not to mention how cheap it is! I love hearing that my raspberries were picked that morning! Too bad it's only seasonal! I really miss it when it's gone.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We have a pretty good Persian market here in town. PARR's. It's where we get out feta and olives and other nice little treats.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:06 AM   #9
Executive Chef
We have open air markets, but assume from some of the posts on this thread that you are talking about local supermarkets and delicatessens. Here's my favourite local - they also have a restaurant and a cafe and sell the most heavenly lasagna etc for takeaway food (great when you're too tired to even think about what to cook for dinner!) I've mentioned them quite a few times on here, but think that they are worthy of mention again! Read and DROOL.......

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Unfortunately, where I live isn't really big enough to support a specialty market. Back when I lived in Tulsa, however, I would always go to an Asian market called Nam Hai, as they had an extremely wide range of products. I would usually see at least one person in Chef Whites while I was there

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote