My FIL is getting a transplant right now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Some of you know that my father in law and brother in law both need a kidney transplant. They have both been very sick and on dialysis for a while now. A while ago we got a call that there was a live donor for my FIL. They checked him into the hospital and were doing the final tests necessary when they discovered that his veins were not strong enough to handle the operation.

This was a major blow. Not only was he moments away from getting a kidney, but finding out that his veigns were no good meant that he could not get a kidney from a live donor. They would need to transplant veins and that means he would need a deceased donor. A kidney from a live donor is much much better than getting one from someone who has died.

Well last night at about 10pm the phone rang and the called ID said it was my in laws calling. Both of our hearts dropped because they would never call us that late unless something was wrong. I feared the worst and I know the color left DW's face quicker than you could imagine. As soon as she answered the phone I knew it was good news though. She started bouncing around like a Mexican jumping bean. They were admitting him right then to prepare him for surgery this morning.

We were worried that it would not happen again as he has a small cold right now and that could have been a deal breaker. Apparently though it did not break the deal because he is under the knife right now. We are all very excited and hopeful and scared. Another woman that FIL was in dialysis with got the other kidney. Her surgery was before his and is already done. They said the kidneys are very healthy and her surgery went extremely well so we are comforted to know that.

I did not want to post anything until I knew it was actually happening which is why I did not post anything when he got the first call. This is really happening now though so I just thought I would share the good news.

That's great news. Here's hoping all goes well and the recuperation period is short and complete!

That is truly excellent news GB!!! Next month, I will have had my kidney for two years and my life has improved immensely! Dialysis was not a good thing in the end for me, so a kidney became quite a neccessity. My cadaver kidney was not a good match and we have had quite a few health issues since but thankfully (and touching a lot of wood as I type) not involving the new kidney.

Your FIL should be feeling so much more energetic before the end of the week - well if the post treatment is anything like mine was. I went into the hospital on the Tuesday and drove home on the Saturday. (I wasn't meant to but...)

All the best to him, and I hope your BIL gets one soon too!

Thank you everyone! We are cautiously walking on air right now.

Bilby, thank you so much for sharing your story with me. It is very encouraging and I am so happy to hear how it has worked out for you!!!

GB,
how wonderful, I know your wife and the rest of the family are thrilled.You have all my wishes for a improved and wonderful new life for your father-in-law.Blessings and good thoughts to all
kades

What fabulous news, GB!!!! I didn't know he was in need of a kidney, but I know how hard dialysis is. Your wife must be on cloud nine. Is her dad there in MA?

This may sound weird, but please post when ya'll hear the new kidney is making urine. It's "hold your breath" time until that happens, but everyone in the OR starts celebrating when it does!

He is out of surgery. The Doctor just called and said everything went very well. That is all the info he was able to give over the phone, but that is the only thing we needed to hear anyway. As long as the sugery went well then the rest of the little details do not matter all that much.

Thank you all for your support! It means a lot to me.

What great news. I am sure you are cautiously jubilant, but I will join my prayers and good wishes with the rest of the crew that everything will go swimmingly and that FIL will be better than ever in no time at all!

Back
Top Bottom