My first egg!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Some of you know I have chickens and some of you know they are my first and that I've been waiting well past the time they should have started laying to get my first egg from my flock of five......

Well, today was the day! I opened their nest box door like I do every morning after I let them into their run and there it was! At exactly 31 weeks old. Later this morning it will be an egg in a frame (basket) with homemade bread. Well, it's exciting stuff for me anyway. :D

first egg.jpg

eggciting? :ermm:
Nothing wrong with a little egg humor :LOL:

Thanks. It's pretty special for me anyway. Last night I was thinking these have to be the luckiest chickens in the world for the care they get and they don't have to do anything to earn their keep. I was getting tired of everyone asking me if I had eggs yet, too. :(
Funny how the little things can brighten up a dreary day.

Wow, I'm really impressed, pacanis! And really jealous. I wanna have fresh eggs, too. Now I'm off to find out if I can have chickens inside the city limits.

BTW, Did you take a picture of your egg in a frame? Talk about fresh - just-laid egg in a slice of home made bread!! Way to go!!!

It is exciting!! We had chickens for awhile and that first egg is
WONDERFUL!! Soon you'll have more than you can use. I hope you have lots of neighbors to share them with. :)

:)Fresh eggs right out of the chicken is the best.The yolks will be almost orange plus you can control what they eat making them a better egg.

eggciting? :ermm:
Nothing wrong with a little egg humor :LOL:

lol, pacanis. i doubt anyone else got that. there's a place in jersey called little egg harbor.

how often will they begin to lay eggs now? do you have to increase calcium, d3, and sunlight exposure now?

How cool!
I keep debating over getting a couple chickens, our neighbors across the road have a few.
I'm worried about being over-run with eggs is the problem, but I'm sure I'd have even less luck than you and get only 1 egg a week!

The egg in a frame will have to wait until tonight or tomorrow, but heck yeah I'm going to take a pic :chef: For some strange reason I craved MacDonald's today for lunch.....

Someone on the chicken forum lives inside of city limits that don't allow chickens. I think it's all in your neighbors and whether or not the coop is an eye sore or not. And if you have a rooster ;) Hens are quiet.

I've got them on layer food and there's oyster shell in their grit for Ca. I don't know what d3 is....., but it's a good shell so things must be OK. Plus I supplement with trimmings from making a salad or give them a little "Cone Brade" :LOL: The snow has melted and they're sticll scratching around in the dirt for something, but not like in warm weather. Clover is supposed to be real good for yolks.
I'm not going to increase their daylight in the winter because that will burn them out quicker and it's been studied to lead to reproductive cancer. You're still supposed to get 1-3 per week, so I should have plenty for myself and if I want to give any away. If they don't decide to go on strike again.

I can't wait for egg # 2, but you're right....... there's nothing like that first one :)

Yeah,,,, a trampoline :rolleyes: Maybe I can get one of those gadgets that scrambles the egg in the shell :rolleyes:

Your First Egg

W O W I think thats great and even a brown one at that. They tell me there is no difference between an brown egg and a white egg. Sorry everyone I can tell a difference when I eat them. Do you know how to tell wether your chickens will lay white or brown eggs? This is no jpke. If your chicken is going to lay white eggs she will have white ears and if she is going to lay brown eggs she will have brown ears.:mellow:

Would love to have some. We live out in the country but in a development - no farm animules. Oh well, maybe next house.

I didn't know that goodgiver. I knew I was going to get brown eggs because that's the two breeds I ordered; Silver Laced Wyandottes and Buff Orpingtons. Dual purpose chickens (meat or eggs) that do well in cold climates. My chicken friends think this egg came from a SL Wyandotte because it has a pointy end, but their first eggs aren't always "perfectly shaped" I'm told.

Well, today was the day! it's exciting stuff for me anyway.
that's the prettiest egg I've ever seen in my life. congrats 'dad'...:-p
Soon you'll have more than you can use. I hope you have lots of neighbors to share them with. :)
Oh me please, Christmas will be here in record time again and I'd love some for my eggnog 2008:ohmy:
their first eggs aren't always "perfectly shaped" I'm told.
oh you just try giving birth to an egg:ROFLMAO:pointy end or otherwise

Back
Top Bottom