My friend is very ill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Babe, I am so sorry about Wallie. I really hope and pray she is doing better. And I pray that she is not in pain and has no recall of what is happening with her now. But I also have lots of prayers for you. It is so painful to watch someone you love in such desperation. I am thinking of you. Katy

Oh Babe, I am hoping each time I see a new post that you have better news. This is so hard for you...and poor Wallie. How undignified and cruel to treat her so coldly....when my mother died at age 77, I really thought that the nurses/doctors wrote her off almost immediately; they acted like she was just too old to bother with. She also died following surgery, when she fell and broke her hip. Please spare us all from that....we are all in your corner, Babe.

i too feel that they have written her off and that they did so when things first started to downhill. she is still in icu, blood pressure is down( is being given meds for this) had to put oxygen mask back on, the in the nose thing not doing the job. heart still bouncing around. she tried once again to remove all the tubes and such and get out of bed. they put her on powerful psy. med. i know the name but can't spell it. she once again told her daughter, last night, that they (doctors and nurses are trying to kill her, and that daughter is in on it. )i am sure that is how she sees it. daughter says speech is going bad. i think that might be due to swelling in the throat from the surgery. they seem to want to say everything is due to old age. god forbid we would think they mishandled the whole thing. i am angry and so i may not be very reasonable. this did prompt me to get a medical power of attorney. then my son and daughter can make decisions if i am not able. this is not the case with wally, so they can do whatever ever they like to her. thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. i am trying to think it will be alright.

babe

Do you have any pictures of Wallie, Babe? The reason I ask is that I read about someone who was basically written off by the hospital staff, as you mentioned. Her family brought pictures of her in and put them all around her on the wall. When the nurses and doctors saw the pictures, it brought home the fact that she was a "real" person, and their bedside manner changed greatly.

I'm still praying.

Barbara

Barbara, that is a great idea!

All this unnecessary tragedy (or so it seems) is reminding me of my dear Aunt Elsie. She went into a so-called "good" hospital at age 87 for surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from her stomach. The surgery was successful, but during the procedure something else (can't remember what it was) was perforated by a nick of the scalpel. and she died. not immediately, but she developed an infection where the nick was, and they had to reopen the incision. anyway, it was really sad. We all felt she probably wouldn't have lived very long, anyway, but that they killed her. prematurely. This was 17 years ago, and it still hurts.

Babe, I'm sending both you and Wallie hugs and prayers, and hoping very much for a good end to this story.

I like Barbara's ideas as well, and unfortunately, ChefJune's story about Aunt Elsie happens all to often - I used to work in the health care field and one of my early jobs at our state medical association was to review malpractice case files to help determine if they were defensible. Not good reading, believe me. Babe, I am thinking about you and Wallie today - can you hear me? All my very best wishes are with you.

great idea barbara, but she is in icu, that means nothing of a personal nature in the room. no flowers, balloons etc. wally has six cats. her daughter got em all in picture with balloons. she put them on side table at the foot of the bed. they made her take it down. she loves those cats (to many for me) and loves taking care of them. she brushes their teeth for heavens sake. the pictures would certainly raise her awareness and help with the stress. .haven't talked to daughter today. she is a very selfish person and i have known her since she was five years old, fifty something now. ..

thanks everyone for being so kind to me. please keep up prayers, etc. that today is a really good one.

babe

i just spoke to her daughter. everything is the same. however now they are saying, insurance wise, they will move her to nursing home. that for my friend's temperament is really the beginning of the end. won't happen til the week-end probably. my heart just sank when i heard that.

Babe, I know how this hurts, please take care of yourself...I'm praying for both if you and those who will be caring for Wallie..May they find it in there hearts to remember, this, could be their own grandmother, mother, sister, Take care of her as if she is your own.
kadesma

went to visit my friend a little while ago, i am very encouraged. she looks pretty good. i can understand her when she talks. lots of stuff blocking the way to speech. she is hungry and to me that is just a wonderful thing. guess she was restless all night. they had just given her meds for sleep so we could not stay long. she made perfect sense when she talked to me. so much for dementia. like i said i am feeling very good about her. it is about time.

thanks for the prayers and good wishes , they seem to have worked. please continue til she is well.

babe

Babe,
what wonderful news. I'm so happy for the both of you..I wish you both a a peaceful nights sleep and a welcoming wonderful day tomorrow.
kadesma

Babetoo, my prayers are here for you and your close friend. Post recovery is quite tough and it takes alot out of someone and those around them who care. Here's to a speedy recovery for Wallie !!!

i was so happy last night after seeing her. look good. about midnight all her vitals crashed. so back to the beginning. i am very discouraged so keep of the prayer etc. it has been almost two weeks since surgery. the incision now is healed, looks like a cat scratch. wish she herself would heal. thank you all

Back
Top Bottom