My Heart Just Broke - Neil Diamond Retires From Touring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I think a lot of you know the love affair I have been having with Neil Diamond since 1972. That was the year I saw my first ND concert - the first of 9. TB was even going to take me a few years ago to make it 10 but I have a difficult time in crowds so I said: "maybe next time". There have been 3 concerts since and I said this past spring that we will definitely go next year as he isn't getting any younger.

Well, he announced today that he is retiring from touring and has had to cancel dates in New Zealand and Australia. He has been diagnosed with Parkinson's. He is still going to write and make music, but will not be touring or be doing much performing.

Neil, my love for you was unrequited, but you will always have my heart!

Oh Neil! Horrible diagnosis. I have had a "crush" on him as long as LP has.

Princess, I realized it actually started in 1966 when I got the album "Shilo" for my birthday. I kept hearing that song on the radio and really liked it so my sister bought the album and that was it! I am not trying to out crush you, I just realized it has been a REALLY long time! :)

Last edited:
The news is sad, but not time for mourning. He's still here and can be around for a very long time. Michael J Fox has certainly made the most of his life over all these many years.

The news is sad, but not time for mourning. He's still here and can be around for a very long time. Michael J Fox has certainly made the most of his life over all these many years.
I totally agree, Kay. I was saying to TB that the fact Diamond was diagnosed in his late 70's is probably a blessing. And thanks to the MJF foundation and he and others lobbying, there have been groundbreaking discoveries.

Neil has never been one to bow to challenges (appearing at "The Last Waltz" when even members of The Band didn't think he fit in, acting in "The Jazz Singer" when everyone said he couldn't act, and really he couldn't!). This may stop him from touring, but I doubt it will stop him!

It is sad, though - I won't get to concert #10. The first one was Hot August Night Tour which is legendary and the last was going to be the 50th-anniversary tour, which is now not happening. :(

Princess, I realized it actually started in 1966 when I got the album "Shilo" for my birthday. I kept hearing that song on the radio and really liked it so my sister bought the album and that was it! I am not trying to out crush you, I just realized it has been a REALLY long time! :)

I've always liked older guys...

Well Great for him, I am proud of him to know when to stop and not end up like Frank Sinatra that in the end had no clue what he was singing or doing and was just showed off as curiosity .

My wife has been to 6 of his shows. She and her best friend were going to go last year, but the ticket prices were just outrageous, so they opted out. I let her take me to one about 15 years ago... that was enough for me. A bunch of 40 and 50 something women (guys were definitely a small minority at the show) swooning over this old guy on stage... baffling! :wacko: I do like a few of his songs though, and the body of music he has written is huge.

We have been to some really good shows together though... Eagles, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood, Gordon Lightfoot... I'd go see any of them again before I'd go to see Neil Diamond. I saw lots of good groups before we were together too... from Moody Blues to McCartney and Wings to Bob Seger to Fleetwood Mac to The Who. My tastes lean toward harder rock.

It is sad about the illness though... that sucks for anyone. :(

I like older guys too...oh wait, SC is only 6 years older than me. :huh:

The great guy who is Souschef's best friend and copilot is my age and he was diagnosed with Parkinson's about four years ago. He can't carry a pilot's license anymore because of it, but he's thrilled to be up there flying with his best Bud, transporting who he calls really sick people for Angel Flight. He takes lots of medication but you'd never know he has it, and thankfully so far, he gets along just fine.

Last edited:
Elton Jon is going to stop performing live. Big news. Only, that won't happen until THREE years from now after his final world tour. Thanks for the update Elton.

There's a special on Elton Jon right now on TV. I'm enjoying it. Bernie Taupin and band members are all adding their comments.

Last edited:
Back in the day I used to work with musicians, it was fun and hard work. A famous Swedish pianist was going to play at our venue, the only contact we had was the manager.
The day of the concerts and we met the guy, I realised he was so demented he had no clue where was and was led to the piano and did the concert brilliantly.
We decided to get hold of his daughter, a major star here and so hard to get hold of, she wasn't happy when she found what the manager did and that also the guy pocked 70% of money.

Every Artist has the right to say No, I am old I want to relax.

How would you feel if you had to work until died on stage?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom