My husband was rolling with the stones...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VickiQ

Sous Chef
...kidney stones that is.He had an attack at 2 am on 4/15-of course the md wanted to see if he would pass it but, he didn't.A 4mm stone lodged itself right outside his left kidney and didn't budge-last Wed.4/18 -his 48th birthday - he had to have the stone surgically removed.He was feeling alot better after the removal but, is still having discomfort from a stent that had to be left in (it will be removed tomorrow).He did go back to work on Monday though. So as usual the Quackenbush household is not without it's drama!!!!Hope everyone is doing ok and content with life!!Love and energy, Vicki

I've heard they're extremely painful. Glad he's feeling a bit better. (All the while, I'm privately thinking "hope I don't get those"!)

It is good that he went back to work. Boredom seems to get a lot of folks on their feet fast. The only way that I can compare it is having a tiny sharp stone in your shoe. It takes a while before your shoes feel comfortable again. As if the feet keep searching long after the rock is gone.
What was the doctor's advice about diet and exercise? I am glad that your husband is doing well and he has you there for all the love and support. Thanks for letting us know how things are going.

:) Dh used to get them when I first met him.I told him to drink more water he hasnt had one since.The water helps to keep the kidneys flushed out.He carries a gallon of water to work everyday now.
It is so dry here you need to drink alot of water and IMHO people dont drink enough water,by the time you actually feel thirsty you are so dehydrated its not even funny.

We see a lot of them at my job, usually from truckers who have to sit for long periods of time, and they can produce some doozies. We've likened them to the 'male version of giving birth to a baby' or my personal favorite 'a bowling ball wrapped in barbed wire', Ouch! Never had kids, and drink way to many cokes, so I'm trying to cut back on the cokes as they are also hereditary and my dad's a kidney stone factory. The worse kind of stone to have tho' is either a staghorn kidney stone (where the stone forms in the kidney and conforms to the inside of the kidney, and is rather difficult to get rid of) and a horse-shoe kidney stone where the stone is formed (as with the staghorn) in the kidney (the kidneys are fused together and on x-ray or CT (cat scan) it looks like a horse shoe). Those are definitely NOT fun for the people who have them.:shock:

I haven't had a kidney stone but I have heard that drinking warm water with freshley squeezed lemon juice in it smooths out the edges of the stone so that it may be passed easily. I have heard testimonies that it works.

Even though I never had a kidney stone I have a reoccuring stone in my salivary gland which can be torturous. I was told by a naturapathic doctor to use hydrangea herb in capsule form. The reason he told me to use this is because he knew it was good for kidney stones. I can attest that when my salivary stone gets nasty, I take some of the hydrangea capsules and it does the trick and brings me relief. I use the one put out by Nature's Sunshine. Their herbs are supposed to be of high quality. Perhaps your husband should keep some hydrangea herb on hand.

Good hydration is key. Have him drink plenty of purified water. Coffee and tea don't count, neither does soda because they dehydrate the body.

Last edited:
Oh boy Vicki,
While I've never had a stone, I have had a kidney infection and they are torture..DH gets them now and then..His are from calcium and when he gets them he is in agony til they pass...I hope your DH is feeling better and better. He must have been really hurting...Hope he never gets another..

kadesma

Green Lady said:
Good hydration is key. Have him drink plenty of purified water. Coffee and tea don't count, neither does soda because they dehydrate the body.

Alcohol is a di-uretic as well. Stay away from all sources of caffeine and alcohol.

I have heard from a lot of people who have had Kidney Stones say that they are very painful.

Some pass and some have to be taken out. I hope your husband feels great after all the surgery.

Have a lovely day.

Back
Top Bottom