My iBook is sick....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redkitty

Executive Chef
Well, my wonderful iBook that I bought brand new in 2005 is on it's last legs. Stupid Mac.....and I LOVE Mac's! But the quality of their laptops in the last several years is awful.

Luckily I have a surgeon right here in the house, he is currently taking her apart and operating on her. We think the hard drive is ok, so I can get everything off her. I'll know shortly when she comes out of the operating room. Right now I'm sitting and waiting using the boys MacBook.

If she needs to be put down, I won't be around here as much. Have to figure out what I will do about a computer. Sigh.

Anywho, hope all of you are having a better Friday than me! :(

RK

The airport is faulty and its causing the machine to kernel panic which is stopping it from starting. The airport on this model is attached to the logic board. So my surgeon is just opening it up to try and remove the airport from the logic board to see if it makes any difference.

We are both Mac lovers (I've been using them since 1988!), and will continue to be. I'll buy another one if she dies. Just not something we put into our budget right now!

I have been geeking out on the history of Apple Computer! apple-history.com

lol. that should fix it. Did you try software updates or bug fixes? I scrimped and saved and bought my first mac in late 88 early 89 as well. I donated my old quadra (remember those :LOL:) and an old powerPC to my kids elementary school library about 6 years ago and they are both still running strong, even at the hands of 10 year olds all day long. My DW purchased a dell in May, right before we got together, and she hates it, and hates Vista, and then when I moved in with my Mac, she hates it worse. Always trying to swipe the mac and has become a preacher at the Apple Church. :LOL: She loves telling people how much better they are, and how she's been through 3 laptops in the same time that I've had my one, so yes macs are more expensive, but you don't have to buy one every 6 months. :LOL: you should hear her go...my little convert...

Great story! Macs are amazing....we both have such a soft spot for them!

Software and installs didn't work because we couldn't get it to restart without going into open firmware. For any software updates that required a restart, this would severely mess up the machine. We could wait a while and then it might boot or not... so very hit and miss.

But here is my update from the surgeon! The operation was an extreme success!!! Removing the airport fixed the problem, however reattaching it firmly seems to have fixed it completely (YAY!). He is doing some testing before he puts her all back together. He is also installing 10.5 so I can use TimeMachine (so cool!) to back everything up.

Basically, nothing is wrong with my ibook. The problem was when I was home for Xmas I must have picked her up from the bottom left corner, which made the logic board flex and the airport became loose causing kernel panics in the OS because of a hardware fault. Thank gosh for the internet, as originally the surgeon disabled the airport in the OS and I was living with a cable for the internet. But yesterday when I tried to restart her I got a black screen and not even open firmware. I about cried!

The surgeon zapped the PRAM (thats not electrocuting the baby!) which got us back to open firmware but couldn't get any further. So thats when he made the executive decision to do invasive surgery. I should have let him do it 3 months ago!!!!!!

So....she is now back and running good as new! The best part....we didn't spend a dime! I love Macs!!!

You are all stuck with me!!!!

Glad you're still here with us! But, you will never get me off my HP Pavilion DV9000 unless it is for a newer model!

Mac lover here and spoiled forever. I have occasionally had to use my friend's HP and I'm totally lost---what's the deal with 2 buttons on the mouse?????? Isn't one confusing as is? I also have a Mac laptop which I absolutely love except when I travel. Such a pain taking thru the airports because you have to pull it out for security reasons---that's why I will show up at an international airport 3 hours early.

Maybe you can find a used one, Redkitty, we sure don't want to lose you at DC!

Well, it's back and running great! New OS on it now and everything! We ended up having to remove the airport card. Possibly the logic board is on it's way out but we should be ok for a while now, esp with the card disconnected. My surgeon worked for 12 hours!!! I'm so very lucky that he is a super geek and could take her apart, fix her and put her back together without any problems.

Corey, Mac's make great products....no computer of any kind is without some issue at one point or another. I'll take a Mac over PC any day of the week!

Well, it's back and running great! New OS on it now and everything! We ended up having to remove the airport card. Possibly the logic board is on it's way out but we should be ok for a while now, esp with the card disconnected. My surgeon worked for 12 hours!!! I'm so very lucky that he is a super geek and could take her apart, fix her and put her back together without any problems.

Corey, Mac's make great products....no computer of any kind is without some issue at one point or another. I'll take a Mac over PC any day of the week!

great to hear that you have such a wonderful onsite surgeon to take the time to repair your computer and that it's recovering beautifully, RK. What would we do without our geeks? My geek repairs everything because his dad put a screwdriver in one hand and a pair of pliers in the other as soon as he could toddle..:)

I am just trying to remember back to my high school days when for typing class we got these state of the art Mac's, I can't remember what their model number was, but I do remember it was the second version of the the first Apple line that was called a Mac, and it had a mouse. I can't remember how many buttons the mouse had, but I guess this means it must have only had one!
I do remember they were fun to operate and play games on. Even back then we had this kind of division set up where we used the Apples for playing games and the PCs for business applications.

I remember high school, too. Term papers every semester and lots of note cards arranged in order on my bed so that I could manually type up my term paper. So much fun....I'm still bitter to this day that I missed out on computers in my high school and most of my college years........

Well I count myself lucky then, we got our first Apples in school in 6th grade! It was sooo cool when we got one that had 'dual floppy drives'!
Anyone seen the new Apply commercial with their new thin notebook that they take out of an envelope?

Kinda like the Sony Vaio I used to have then, it was very thin and had an external USB CDRW/DVD drive. Still, I bet students must love the portability.
Anyway sorry not to high-jack the thread, so the solution was to remove the airport completely?? Or remove it and then re-install it?

The airport it out, so I'm stuck with a cable instead of wireless!! Not a biggie, especially since it didn't cost a dime to fix. I'm so very grateful, I married a pretty amazing geek!

Back
Top Bottom