"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef

My iBook is sick....

Well, my wonderful iBook that I bought brand new in 2005 is on it's last legs. Stupid Mac.....and I LOVE Mac's! But the quality of their laptops in the last several years is awful.

Luckily I have a surgeon right here in the house, he is currently taking her apart and operating on her. We think the hard drive is ok, so I can get everything off her. I'll know shortly when she comes out of the operating room. Right now I'm sitting and waiting using the boys MacBook.

If she needs to be put down, I won't be around here as much. Have to figure out what I will do about a computer. Sigh.

Anywho, hope all of you are having a better Friday than me!

RK

Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
What's wrong with it Red? I bought a titanium 17" MacBookPro in 2004...no problems to date. Knock wood....

Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Executive Chef

The airport is faulty and its causing the machine to kernel panic which is stopping it from starting. The airport on this model is attached to the logic board. So my surgeon is just opening it up to try and remove the airport from the logic board to see if it makes any difference.

We are both Mac lovers (I've been using them since 1988!), and will continue to be. I'll buy another one if she dies. Just not something we put into our budget right now!

I have been geeking out on the history of Apple Computer! apple-history.com
Old 03-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Cook

lol. that should fix it. Did you try software updates or bug fixes? I scrimped and saved and bought my first mac in late 88 early 89 as well. I donated my old quadra (remember those ) and an old powerPC to my kids elementary school library about 6 years ago and they are both still running strong, even at the hands of 10 year olds all day long. My DW purchased a dell in May, right before we got together, and she hates it, and hates Vista, and then when I moved in with my Mac, she hates it worse. Always trying to swipe the mac and has become a preacher at the Apple Church. She loves telling people how much better they are, and how she's been through 3 laptops in the same time that I've had my one, so yes macs are more expensive, but you don't have to buy one every 6 months. you should hear her go...my little convert...
Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Great story! Macs are amazing....we both have such a soft spot for them!

Software and installs didn't work because we couldn't get it to restart without going into open firmware. For any software updates that required a restart, this would severely mess up the machine. We could wait a while and then it might boot or not... so very hit and miss.

But here is my update from the surgeon! The operation was an extreme success!!! Removing the airport fixed the problem, however reattaching it firmly seems to have fixed it completely (YAY!). He is doing some testing before he puts her all back together. He is also installing 10.5 so I can use TimeMachine (so cool!) to back everything up.

Basically, nothing is wrong with my ibook. The problem was when I was home for Xmas I must have picked her up from the bottom left corner, which made the logic board flex and the airport became loose causing kernel panics in the OS because of a hardware fault. Thank gosh for the internet, as originally the surgeon disabled the airport in the OS and I was living with a cable for the internet. But yesterday when I tried to restart her I got a black screen and not even open firmware. I about cried!

The surgeon zapped the PRAM (thats not electrocuting the baby!) which got us back to open firmware but couldn't get any further. So thats when he made the executive decision to do invasive surgery. I should have let him do it 3 months ago!!!!!!

So....she is now back and running good as new! The best part....we didn't spend a dime! I love Macs!!!

You are all stuck with me!!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
Senior Cook

lol! I dropped mine a few months ago. about halfway down the stairs. Talk about a heart-in-the-throat moment... but not so much as a hiccup.

Glad the old girl is working for you now! Congrats to the surgeon on a successful day!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I thought about getting one of these. Glad that I didn't!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
Master Chef

Glad you're still here with us! But, you will never get me off my HP Pavilion DV9000 unless it is for a newer model!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
Master Chef

Mac lover here and spoiled forever. I have occasionally had to use my friend's HP and I'm totally lost---what's the deal with 2 buttons on the mouse?????? Isn't one confusing as is? I also have a Mac laptop which I absolutely love except when I travel. Such a pain taking thru the airports because you have to pull it out for security reasons---that's why I will show up at an international airport 3 hours early.

Maybe you can find a used one, Redkitty, we sure don't want to lose you at DC!
Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Well, it's back and running great! New OS on it now and everything! We ended up having to remove the airport card. Possibly the logic board is on it's way out but we should be ok for a while now, esp with the card disconnected. My surgeon worked for 12 hours!!! I'm so very lucky that he is a super geek and could take her apart, fix her and put her back together without any problems.

Corey, Mac's make great products....no computer of any kind is without some issue at one point or another. I'll take a Mac over PC any day of the week!