"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Mudbug, good for you! I know she will have a wonderful time, especially knowing you support her all the way! Isn't there a new supersize suitcase that can hold you?

Old 11-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
She WILL have a wonderful time, MB!

My only true "coulda-woulda-shoulda" is that I didn't go teach in Europe after graduation from Northwestern, instead of being so enamored with the idea of getting married.......... so much time for all that stuff later! Ah well....

Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
Head Chef

Its great that is is a structured visit....some kids (17) visited us a couple of summers ago, refused offers of lifts to tourist places and spent their first trip to Europe asleep in bed. If I was one of the mothers I would have had a fit, but we were asked to let them just be.....so they spent a lot of money to sleep in a European bed.

My parents were like you MB. And I went to school in a different country from where they lived, so I got to travel a lot before I went to university. I think when you are young, but independant-ish, is a good time to travel, or established enough to travel in style!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
instead of being so enamored with the idea of getting married.......... so much time for all that stuff later! Ah well....
(chuckling ruefully) I blew off a solo trip to Hawaii subsidized by my parents for the same reason. That marriage didn't last.

The things we did for love..............
Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #15
Senior Cook

When does she go? Hope she has a good time. Here's a tip that we used to do when we were on vacations both here and abroad...mail postcards back home from the places you/she visits with notes about what was most liked, etc. These are great to read and remember once back from the trip and will make you/her feel likes you're/she's back there all over again. It brings back such wonderful memories. Post them in a scrapbook with any receipts from stores +/or any other little momento's and it turns into a real memory.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Help, UK-ers

needed to bump this one up.

In July we are sending the kid to England, Wales, & Ireland with an ATM card, as we've been told that's the easiest way to obtain cash. HH has been researching ATM cards at the local banks and the only bank that will issue a card has loads of fees associated with it. So be it.

What we need to know are the typical UK prices are for things a teenager (going on 16) would want - for example, bag of crisps, a Coke, plate of chips, souvenir T-shirt, etc. in pounds sterling.

Apparently the exchange rate right now is about 2:1, so we want to make sure we give her enough money to enjoy herself without running out of dough at the wrong moment.

We are foolishly hoping she will also purchase some nice remembrances for her doting parents.

thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

'bug, have you asked your bank if their ATM cards work in the UK? Some of the networks must be international. If they don't, maybe they would steer you in the right direction.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

yes, HH checked about that, Andy. The one bank (not the one we have our accounts at) said they would issue her an ATM card that's affiliated with the Star system in London. Our own bank won't even let her open any kind of account until she's 18. So it's this other bank (well established in our area) for now unless we find another solution.

We are going to check w/Am. Express as well to see if they have anything useful.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hey, muddy? How are you at fitting in her carry-on bag?

Hope she has a great time. Our daughter and her husband honeymooned in England, Ireland and Wales and loved it.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I have worked for several banks and any ATM/Debit card should work overseas. As far as the cash part goes, have you thought of Visa/AmEx gift cards or traveler's cheques? With traveler's checks, there is a way to get the money back for them if they are lost or stolen so you might want to think about that.

If you don't mind me asking, what bank wouldn't let her open a savings account? She should at least be able to open one and and if she is at least 16, she should be able to get an ATM card with that.