My kid is going to Europe without me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definately go with travelers checks, and just ask her exchange any cash to spend before she leaves the states so that she has the correct currency upon arrival. Note, if she comes back with lots of pound coins, or Irish change, etc, they will not exchange that upon arrival in the states ( paper money only). I had lots of pound coins lol. Food for thought.

I take back everything I said. I think it's time for mudbug to go to England, Wales, and Ireland. This would be your daughters second time right, according to when you started this thread last November. Let her earn her way. You deserve a trip sweetheart. You have wanted to go there, so do it! Daughter can work over the summer and earn the money for the trip.

Last edited:
I think she will do just fine with one debit/Jeanie/Star/Cirrus card, getting cash from an ATM machine whenever she needs it. I got mine from my podunk bank and have had no problems using it. I no longer get travelers' checks, got tired of carrying them back and forth from trip to trip, never used them and some places do not accept them. And when I did research on this, I did not get a good feeling about American Express.

Just take one card for the ATM, and don't forget what your pin number is!!

No matter what age they are, they are still our 'babies' and will worry about them. Just had one return from trip and had unusual experience getting there and back. Everything has to do with the weather when you travel.

Sounds like wonderful time and hope she has lots to tell you when she gets home, if she has time. Seems parents are the last to know about what happened unless you talk to their friends. As long as they have good time is important. Hard to let them grow up.

you know mud, I thought of something else. And someone please correct me if I am wrong. Places like museum gift shops accept American credit cards. I recommend MC or Visa, oddly enough, they are more universally accepted. If your daughter takes a regular credit card, that may be helpful. That way you do not have to guess how much mola you need to withdraw from the ATM, just put it all on the credit card, how simple is that:wacko:. And this is where I am uncertain, and you may not want to tell your daughter anyway, but Harrods and other dept. stores may accept regular old American credit cards.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful and safe trip:).

Hi Mudbug how exciting. I had a high school girl come talk to me about People to People. It's a fun program and I would love my sons to join when they are older. They are just in elementary school right now and very young to go on trips abroad on their own.

Funny thing my 9 year old is ready to take off. He is part of chess club and he had an opportunity a year back to go to Russia and he was ready to go with his Grand master and other kids from middle school. I was not ready to send an 8 year old to Russia :)

Most major American credit cards - Citibank visa, mastercard and Amex are accepted widely in all of Europe. I was in England (London) and France (Paris) this past December and there were no issues.

People to People is almost like an organized tour so I would not worry much. Give them a credit card, cell phone and some travelers cheques (they can exchange them at the hotel concierge for Pounds).

kitchenelf said:
LOL Amber - I think it's just one of those things we do selflessly for our kids!

I know what you mean, I'm the same with my daughter, always put the kids first. :mad::LOL: One day you will get there Mudbug!;)

thanks, everybody!

Right now we are leaning towards an Am Ex card. Borrowing an international cell phone from a Brit friend who became a citizen over here but travels back often to visit family.

We still have some time to come up with a solution that we feel comfortable with.

Yakuta, I will be happy to tell you about her experiences when she gets back if you like. They do have programs for middle schoolers.

Just some updated info...the Visa gift cards are also replaceable if lost or stolen...same with the traveler's cheques. Just an FYI!

'bug, one trick you should teach her is if she's carries cash, put her english sterling in one pocket, euros in the other. the darn brits won't get with the program, and it can be confusing to try to see if there's an old woman on a coin or bill, or if there's a funky E.

btw, if you ever get to ireland, i'll join you. i'll give you a real tour; not the over hyped b.s. "ring of kerry" garbage and boring ol' cork that most americans see.

we'll paint the towns red, er, green.

Hi Mudbug- I had a similar situation a couple of years ago-only my son ended up in England because he did a semester at Oxford University- still don't know where he got his smarts-but, while he was there he took excursions to Paris and Rome as well as London. Can't say I ever really wanted to visit London but, I sure wouldn't have minded the other places he went. On the other hand I was thrilled he had the opportunity to go and he LOVED it.
I hope your daughter has an amazing experience and takes LOTS of pictures!
Love and energy, Vicki

You're on, bucky! I don't believe she's giong to be needing euros, though.

Talked to my fellow editor today, whose wife is from Wales. They just went there last year. He recommended cash for most things.

But thanks for everyone's tips. I'm going to print this thread out and examine all the options you've suggested more closely.

'bug, for the enland and wales part, she'll just need british dinero.

but if she goes to ireland, unless she stays in the 6 occupied counties in the north, she'll need euros. it's a tremendous pain in the neck.

the brits know how difficult it is in the border counties (my family, from cavan and leitrim) to have to keep changing money, thus the pocket change idea.

it's half the reason that england doesn't go to the euro, ya know...:cool:

:) Yoy should get the travel guide (Eye Witness Travel Guides, Great Britain it includes Wales and Scotland every thing you need to know with maps and a survival guide on currency,public transportation etc.It is a fabulous guide book much better then Fodors.

that's the beauty of relying on ATM machines.........where ever they are located, they dispense the appropriate monies, are open 24 hours a day and are virtually everywhere.

buckytom said:
'bug, for the enland and wales part, she'll just need british dinero.

but if she goes to ireland, unless she stays in the 6 occupied counties in the north, she'll need euros. it's a tremendous pain in the neck.

the brits know how difficult it is in the border counties (my family, from cavan and leitrim) to have to keep changing money, thus the pocket change idea.

it's half the reason that england doesn't go to the euro, ya know...:cool:

touche, bucky, I'd forgotten that. they are going to be in the south (da Republic).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom