"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

My kid is going to Europe without me

...and to many places I've always wanted to go: England, Ireland, and Wales.

We only get to pay for it.

But it will be so cool for her.

The little stinker.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Sous Chef

LOL - HIDE YOURSELF( and me as well) IN THE SUITCASE!!!!!!! Hope she has a great time - what a great parent you are!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
Senior Cook

She will have a wonderful time Mugbug, truly wonderful. For you to be sending her off at a young age is one of the best things you could do for her. It is so easy to think of our "own" country as 'the' country is a mistake so often made. I took my son a couple of years ago, or he took me:), anyway, I paid. She will have a ripping good time. As we did.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

I hope she has a great time. When is she coming? Perhaps you'll come over the pond to visit us yourself sometime Mudbug. :) Seems a shame to miss out Scotland while visiting all the other bits of Great Britain. If she wants any help/info etc be sure to ask.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:55 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Yeh, Mudbug.... what did we Scots do to offend?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Executive Chef

A wonderful parent indeed, Mudbug. I haven't visited Ireland and Wales yet. Just hope that she doesn't look upon you as an 'ATM' machine!!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I know what you mean, my daughter went to Australia and my son to Hawaii and Italy! We got the fun of paying for it and a few photos! They are both great students and great people so they really deserved the trips! I'm proud of them both.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

You're a good mom, mud! Those places are on my ever-growing to-visit list, too.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

How can one NOT support sending your kid off to explore something new? I'm just insanely jealous that I don't get to go, too.

This trip is through an outfit called People to People Student Ambassadors, which apparently has been around since the Eisenhower admininstration.

I had never heard of it before until one of daughter's friends nominated her (you have to be nominated by an alumni [daughter's friend], teacher, etc.). She's certainly not going because of her stellar grades or the great leadership qualities she's exhibited, but who cares?

The thing is, this will be an excellent way for her to learn how to navigate a bunch of new people and new places without mommy and daddy there to "interpret" for her.

I have high hopes that she discovers more about herself and how to operate independently in the world, which is beyond price.

Responding to lulu and Ishbel - yes, I would love to be going too and no, I don't know why they are not including Scotland in this itinerary. HH is of partial Scot descent, so this seems so unfair. Their trip is tightly controlled and chaperoned, so the delegation of kids is unlikely to be allowed to venture anywhere much by themselves, but I thank you for your offers of advice and information.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #10
Executive Chef

MB
I'm sure she will have a wonderful time. Maybe you could bring her to Scotland in a few years?!!!

My daughter did school exchanges from the age of 12. I gulped when I saw her off at the airport to go to a family in France that we'd never even met... She was going to be away for just over 3 weeks. One week of school lessons and two weeks enjoying the Easter holidays with the family. Her 'swap' came to us at the end of the summer school term - and did exactly the same, one week school lessons, 2 weeks holiday. They formed such a close bond that both sets of parents agreed to swap each year for a couple of weeks. I suspect that's why my daughter took languages as part of her degree... She did the same with a Spanish girl from Barcelona.

Travel really DOES expand the mind.