My lap top computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) OK! I will try to explain to the best of my abilities. About four years ago I bought a used Dell Latitude C600 computer on Ebay really cheap it was updated as well. The last six months I am having major problems it gets stuck any time it's updating or checking for for virus with program not responding and always says I'm low on memory and when I get on I have to hit McAffee at least 5 times to fix problems I know I need a new laptop I just don't know what would be a good cheap one I don't need a fancy one so I will go back to Ebay. I do not care to play games etc or download movies or music but would like to play them and mostly just surf the net and do Email. So this is what I found on Ebay. Any input would be appreciated.I use a router so I can get it in the living room the desk computer in the other room is problem free. :)
eBay – Laptops Notebooks and items on eBay.com. Find IT on eBay.

With black Friday so close I would avoid "flea bay". You can get a great deal on a computer and have a fall back if it is not up to par. I have seen some real good deals on basic computers and laptops between 300 - 500 and you get a warranty. Somewhere you could return it if something goes wrong. You can google black Friday and find all the deals. Good luck.

You did not say hoe much RAM or hard drive is i your laptop. You did say that it is four years old.

Putting viruses and spyware aside for a minute, all applications, word processors, browsers and anti virus software have gotten larger in size. What was a workable amount of RAM four years ago is inadequate now. This could be aprt of your low memory messages.

Windows uses an area of your hard drive for a "Swap File". this is a place that it puth tthings that will not fit into RAM while they are not being used. It then "Swaps" them in and out as needed, hence the "swap file". It tries to use about 20% of the hard drive space. If your hard drive is getting full it will use less. This could also be part of your low memory messages. Less RAM more swapping, it takes time to swap in and out of memory, performance is reduced.

You do not realize that programs are getting bigger simply as they are updated by the manufacturer.

The solution is that modern day programs need modern day resources, faster CPU's to run more code (bigger programs) and more RAM to hold these programs with less swapping. Finally a larger hard drive to hold the things that you do want to do.

In short, I agree with lefty - you should look a lower end, new computer with either 1 GB or preferably 2 GB of RAM and a 300 GB hard drive.

AC

You did not say hoe much RAM or hard drive is i your laptop. You did say that it is four years old.

Putting viruses and spyware aside for a minute, all applications, word processors, browsers and anti virus software have gotten larger in size. What was a workable amount of RAM four years ago is inadequate now. This could be aprt of your low memory messages.

Windows uses an area of your hard drive for a "Swap File". this is a place that it puth tthings that will not fit into RAM while they are not being used. It then "Swaps" them in and out as needed, hence the "swap file". It tries to use about 20% of the hard drive space. If your hard drive is getting full it will use less. This could also be part of your low memory messages. Less RAM more swapping, it takes time to swap in and out of memory, performance is reduced.

You do not realize that programs are getting bigger simply as they are updated by the manufacturer.

The solution is that modern day programs need modern day resources, faster CPU's to run more code (bigger programs) and more RAM to hold these programs with less swapping. Finally a larger hard drive to hold the things that you do want to do.

In short, I agree with lefty - you should look a lower end, new computer with either 1 GB or preferably 2 GB of RAM and a 300 GB hard drive.

AC

:LOL: Huh what?I have no clue what ram and gbs etc are just want my laptop to speed back up and I do have satellite internet which kicks butt by the way which is why I think I need to upgrade laptop at least a little.

AC

OK Cut it down to this much. GB's besides the initials of one of our admins means GigaBytes. Any computer that you are considering buying should tell you how much RAM and hard drive that it has. The above would be my recommendations.

you can buy a 12 dollar 4 gig flash drive and see if that helps ..
but i would get a new one ..

I wish I could share information on this thread, but since I've been on Macs for 5 years, I no longer can relate to the issues PC owners share and endure. BTW, what's a virus? I've never had one on my G-5 or this MacBook I'm using now. Sorry, but I can't relate to your pain.

JoeV - Just wait a bit. Apples are gaining in popularity and the sickos that write viruses are starting to tool up "Just for you". Check this out. I am not trying to be smug. Viruses are awful and I am sorry that they are comming to Mac land, but, they are.

I am not sure if we are allowed to post links that are not cooking related so I sent you a private message on a very good deal. Please don't be shy if you have any questions, the only bad question is one not asked.

Good luck...:)

jpm, I have the same laptop, and have the same problems. I thought my problems were due to the fact that I have music recording programs, etc, but maybe its the nature of the beast? It is an older model-I imagine obsolete by todays standard.

When I do replace it, it will be with a Mac-period.

Here is a list of the best security freeware to scan your computers.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0.173 (Virus protection)
Ad-Aware 2008 7.1.0.11 (Spyware protection)
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6 (Spyware protection)
CCleaner 2.12.660 (Privacy)
Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2 (very advanced users spyware remover) There is help available from their user supported community and they are very helpful pointing out problems. Just cut and paste your scan results to the forum

ZoneAlarm Firewall (Windows 2000/XP) 7.0.483 (free firewall)

Most of these are pretty straight forward on how to use. Just make sure you take your time and read the instructions when running any of these. They can all be found at Security Software - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com

If anyone needs any help with these just let me know.

jpm, I have the same laptop, and have the same problems. I thought my problems were due to the fact that I have music recording programs, etc, but maybe its the nature of the beast? It is an older model-I imagine obsolete by todays standard.

When I do replace it, it will be with a Mac-period.

:LOL: Mine worked good for a long time it was a used refurbished when I bought it. I think you and I just have dinosaurs for laptops and it's time to suck it up and get a new one. In fact I know if I get a new one I will be extremely happy. I will turn my old one to a recycle company so they can fix it up a bit and perhaps send it to a third world country for a school kid or something.

Back
Top Bottom