"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
Sous Chef

LPBeier I am very sorry to hear your problems. Please take care of yourself.

I must say something to all of you that you people have lots of energy, vitality and will power. Here people just think that their life is finished if they have sugar or arthritis.
I am trying to learn from you.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Thank you everyone. I am very moved by your outpouring of love and support.

I wanted to share something with you. I am very claustrophobic and the thought of the MRI is difficult, though I know I need it and figured I would do my best. A friend who is a nurse in the hospital near where DH works emailed me last night that the hospital recently purchased and "open" MRI. I don't know exactly how open it is, but she said she has talked to people who have had both types and this one is much better. She also said the wait list is much shorter because they now have two machines and gave me a name of a good neurologist at the hospital. I called my doctor's office and they know of this doctor and are going to try and get me in. We are actually closer to this hosptial than the one which the doctor she was going to refer me to works out of so there is a better chance for me!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Open MRI are like a giant doughnut. You lie on a table that moves you into the giant dougnnut and they take the MRI. Very painless. They do take 15 - 30 minutes depending on what is being imaged. You will do fine with it, trust me. SO had one done recenly and they had a large selection of music to choose from so you had music to listen to while lying on the table. Maybe you can bring a favorite CD and see if the can play it in the room for you.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Laurie,
DH just had his second one and was really uptight about it. But he got through it. He said this time wasn't so bad cause he knew what was coming and just kept telling him self if I could do it he could too. Be sure and let me know when and I'll be there in spirit with you. Love ya Laurie.
cj
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thank you everyone. I am very moved by your outpouring of love and support.

I wanted to share something with you. I am very claustrophobic and the thought of the MRI is difficult, though I know I need it and figured I would do my best. A friend who is a nurse in the hospital near where DH works emailed me last night that the hospital recently purchased and "open" MRI. I don't know exactly how open it is, but she said she has talked to people who have had both types and this one is much better. She also said the wait list is much shorter because they now have two machines and gave me a name of a good neurologist at the hospital. I called my doctor's office and they know of this doctor and are going to try and get me in. We are actually closer to this hosptial than the one which the doctor she was going to refer me to works out of so there is a better chance for me!
I don't know anything about open MRI, but I am sure everything will be okay for you.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Many moons ago I had a MRI in one of the (older) "tube" machines..Well at least they tried to put me in one...and they did...BUT.. Big Bad Uncle Bob came out of there very quickly with scratched up knuckles and for head That's when I found out I had a touch of claustrophobia.. Anyway later I have been in the "Open" type MRI machine....Much, Much better!!!! ....Also Miss Laurie you may want to discuss with your doctor about a "chill pill" ...a little Xanax maybe...it kinda takes the edge off...You'll be fine!!! ~~~~ Hope you can have it done sooner rather than later!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Thank you everyone. I looked up open MRI's and found this link. I know it is done by a company, but even seeing the pictures set my mind at ease a little bit. And thank you, Uncle B - I have to have an ativan even before I have a CT scan!

Today the numbness is worse and speaking and typing are both very slow. However, my spirits are good. My hubby got all my new countertops installed in the kitchen and is going to put the first coat on the last wall today before he goes to work. I will be sitting at the table going through all my spices, getting rid of old and rarely used ones, and putting the others into their brand new jars which I can put on the racks DH installed on the cupboard doors for me. Nothing like a new kitchen to perk a person up! Oh, and knowing I have a loving and caring family right here.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

I received the results of my first set of blood tests today. While they are not conclusive for Lupus, they show I am extremely anemic and I am now being sent for another set of more concise tests. I am also having to go for B12 shots and take an iron supplement.

There is still no word on the appointment with the Neurologist; however the good news is my family doctor said it doesn't matter what doctor I go to, I can specify the hospital I want to have the MRI done at and she feels the open MRI machine is a good idea.

I am a little less numb today and was able to get a little more accomplished but am still taking it slowly.

My sister is looking into temporary arrangements for our Dad. He doesn't want to leave me while I am not doing well but also doesn't want to be a burden. Through his Vetran's status he can get someone in to help him up to five days a week and DH is usually off 2 - 3 days so it will work out well. We feel that is the best place to start rather than telling him he has to go into assisted living.

So, things are looking up. I just thought I would pop in and share that.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Lauire,

Thanks for stopping by with the update. Things sound a bit more positive today. So how was your neighbor's casserole? I sounded delish. Working to get your iron and B vitamins up and keep them there will go a long way to making you feel better. It might not fix all the problems, but it will give you more energy when those 2 are back in balance.

Stop by and visit when you feel up to it!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks everyone for your well wishes, love, encouragement and ideas regarding the MRI.

There is still no word on the neurologist appointment or the MRI as my family doctor is in Whistler volunteering for the Olympics and the receptionist can't find the requisitions.

However, I have some good news. The preliminary blood tests were "inconclusive" for Lupus. She will probably send me for other tests, but this is a very good sign.

On the other side of the coin, my hand dexterity and twitches are steadily getting worse and I am getting more and more dizzy spells. Also, because of my hands I am using my cane less so my knee acts up, but I know it is just from the current symptoms and not anything wrong with the replacement. I am very fatigued most of the time and end up taking up to 3 rest periods a day whether it is napping or sitting in my recliner watching the Olympics.

But mentally and emotionally I am feeling strong and that I can get through this. I have my bad days, but on the whole I am keeping positive.

I have had to turn down a few cake orders and cancel a wonderful opportunity for April as I am too unsteady to make the flowers and need to start now (it is a huge cake covered in sugar roses). But I have two, in June and August, that are for some of my "kids" and I am going to do them even if I just design and have someone else do the work.

Through Veteran's affairs, my Dad now has a lady come in twice a week to take him on his walks with his walker, make our dinner when DH is working and I don't have someone bringing something, doing his washing, etc. This and the once every 3 weeks cleaning ladies are helping me a lot and He seems to be happy that he is able to give me a break.

I was very upset that I was not able to go with our youth group on their retreat this weekend, but I made up the menus and sign-up sheets for all their food and was able to be there to help send them off yesterday afternoon.

The Olympics are really buoying up my spirits, as are the few times I get on here even if I don't post. Canada had never won a gold medal on Canadian soil before and as of last night we have 4!

While my future, health-wise, is up in the air, I am taking each day as it comes and am thankful for every minute I feel well.....and thankful for all the wonderful support I am getting here at DC and in my circle of friends and family.

Talk to you soon.