"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #31
Certified Cake Maniac

Aww, Uncle Bob, you make me feel even better today. I will await the results of your war party - I am sure the phone will ring very quickly after their arrival.

Oh, I have actually been craving Chied Fricken lately! With DH on gluten/lactose free and Dad being a diabetic and having to watch the "chied" part I haven't made it in awhile. Can you send some with the braves?

On another note, my new Cuisinart waffle iron is in at the grocery store which is very exciting! I think with one or two more items I will have taken over Cuisinart with my points! Can't wait until DH picks it up.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey girl, if you feel up to it make the chied fricken , you and dad deserve a treat. Talking to you did the trick for me Laurie. It was the first night in over a month with no restless leg!!! It was heaven not to sit and cry and then walk the floor til the sun rose. I slept like a baby...Thank you.
hugs
cj

Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Laurie, It is good to see that you are somewhat better. I'm sorry I hadn't seen this till now. I've been trying to slack up on my computer time and sometimes I miss something important. I hope that you will continue to feel better and up to whatever treatment you need to put you back in good health.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #34
Master Chef

Site Moderator

What a horrible experience! I am glad it all worked out in the end, but oh my.

SO has had bad reactions/side effects to meds and here is what we do when ever a new med is prescribed. I read all the paperwork and the possible side effects, even researching online sometimes, so that way I can watch and be on alert. I don't know if in this case having DH read up on the side effects would have made it any better or caught things sooner, but it is thought. We have learned the hard way that Dr's don't always tell you what the side effects can be.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
What a horrible experience! I am glad it all worked out in the end, but oh my.

SO has had bad reactions/side effects to meds and here is what we do when ever a new med is prescribed. I read all the paperwork and the possible side effects, even researching online sometimes, so that way I can watch and be on alert. I don't know if in this case having DH read up on the side effects would have made it any better or caught things sooner, but it is thought. We have learned the hard way that Dr's don't always tell you what the side effects can be.
Dave,
I never ask a doctor about a drug. I as my pharmacist. They are trained in school about the meds we take and are far more able to help you. Doctors go by what the drug rep tells them...So anytime something new is prescribed I ask my husband for the run down before the med goes in my body.
kadesma
Old 03-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #36
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Dave,
I never ask a doctor about a drug. I as my pharmacist. They are trained in school about the meds we take and are far more able to help you. Doctors go by what the drug rep tells them...So anytime something new is prescribed I ask my husband for the run down before the med goes in my body.
kadesma
We seem to have a new pharmacist about every other month. No one that is steady. I always read the paperwork that comes with each prescription and then sometimes even go online. Guess I am just cynical these days on prescription drugs.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

i have had really bad allergies to many drugs. antibiotics, pain medicine, reactions from hives and breathing problems to hallucinations. i check every new drug on line. google it. lots of info. i see my dr. about twelve mins. on any given visit. all are the same,time wise. hard to see dr. quickly with a reaction. don't want to go to e.r. so i check it out myself and quit taking if it is a problem.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #38
Certified Cake Maniac

I have gone to the same doctor for about 30 years (I was one of her very first patients). I grew up in my Dad's pharmacy and have been on medications a lot through my life. I have also been written up in the journals and my reactions to a few drugs have been added to those sheets you get with the medications! Like you Dave, I also read all the literature before taking the first pill, and I often ask my Dad (retired) or one of two friends who are pharmacists, plus I go on my own knowledge.

This time we (doctor, DH and I) were all sure I had been on a form of this same medication before except it contained tylenol which I now take in other forms. The information did say that swelling of the feet was a side-effect you should call your doctor about and we did. Unfortunately I could not make it in and she told me to lower the dose (not seeing how bad they were). This I guess was a mistake on both our parts. Three days later, seeing no relief I stopped it altogether (Saturday) and then couldn't phone the office until Monday. My one pharmacist friend said that if he had seen me he would have driven me to the hospital (DH was working).

So I agree with both of you - it is good to check things out first, one way or another.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I have gone to the same doctor for about 30 years (I was one of her very first patients). I grew up in my Dad's pharmacy and have been on medications a lot through my life. I have also been written up in the journals and my reactions to a few drugs have been added to those sheets you get with the medications! Like you Dave, I also read all the literature before taking the first pill, and I often ask my Dad (retired) or one of two friends who are pharmacists, plus I go on my own knowledge.

This time we (doctor, DH and I) were all sure I had been on a form of this same medication before except it contained tylenol which I now take in other forms. The information did say that swelling of the feet was a side-effect you should call your doctor about and we did. Unfortunately I could not make it in and she told me to lower the dose (not seeing how bad they were). This I guess was a mistake on both our parts. Three days later, seeing no relief I stopped it altogether (Saturday) and then couldn't phone the office until Monday. My one pharmacist friend said that if he had seen me he would have driven me to the hospital (DH was working).

So I agree with both of you - it is good to check things out first, one way or another.
Laurie,
any time you are not sure and would like some help I can ask DH for you. He would be happy to help.
kades
Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #40
Certified Cake Maniac

Now HERE is a post I have been waiting a long time to make.

I saw the Neurologist today and I DO NOT HAVE MS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She has still ordered the MRI but there is no rush on it now. My symptoms are (oh, I love this) simply "age". At 51 and a half I could be offended, but I am happy as a clam. I need to see an ophthalmologist because my eyes are getting older quite literally playing tricks on me and so I am not judging things properly. The other half of the equation is my ears. All this fluid retention (the medication "oops" and now the infection) are leaving fluid in the ear which causes pressure and too much information going to the brain and coupled with bad eyes my body thinks that I am falling when I am not - hence vertigo. This ear thing explains most of the neurological like symptoms as well.

So now I am pain free and once I get my eyes checked and train my brain around the fluid retention thing I am basically healthy......and oh, so happy!

Thanks DC family for your support!