"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I have to agree with you Kitchenelf. I haven't cooked professionally, but have eaten/dined out enough to appreciate both taste and sight of what is being served to me! I mostly serve French style when I have 1 or 2 other couples to dinner....I find it sooo classy.....LOL....but hey, after almost 81 years....(next week), I guess I can try to be classy.....hahahahaha!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
Head Chef

I've cooked professionally most of my life. That makes me pretty hard to please when I eat out at restaurants, but perhaps paradoxically I'm always happy to eat something home cooked. By anyone. Well, anyone except myself! I eat my own cooking plenty. And professional cooking often results in food that's very "cliched" or conventional.

Home cooks on the other hand come up with stuff you're not gonna get served in a restaurant. Like hot dog pizza. Or ketchup sandwiches. The novelty of home cooking has extra charm and appeal to someone immersed in the conventions of cooking professionally.

But I absolutely can't stand dull knives!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
Master Chef

Elf, I don't think that makes you a food snob. If you refuse to eat something someone else made with lesser ingredients or point out to them how much better dish x would be if they just did y and add z or boast about how much better your own cooking is, THEN a food snob you shall be. If you do it because you LIKE to and enjoy it but not to IMPRESS everyone that makes you a foodie not a snob IMHO.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Laugh about your dull knives, if you want, but stats show that you are far more likely to be seriously hurt if you cut yourself with a dull knife than a sharp one. It has to do with pushing into the knife too hard in order to cut with the dull edge.

It's not about being snobby, it's about efficiency. Learning basic knife skills is kinda like learning to drive a car. You wouldn't get behind the wheel without having learned properly, would you?

and believe it or not, Chinese cooks cut their vegetables very evenly. Don't know where whomever mentioned that one got another idea! The use of a cleaver rather than a conventional knife doesn't mean the cuts are haphazard.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Okay I'll admit I'm a kitchen snob. The MIL has the WORST kitchen habits and it just kills me to see her cook. I otherwise love the ol' bag, but she needs to step out of the kitchen already!

She cuts her veggies over the pot with one hand and a dull knife. When she does use a cutting board, she uses those glass death-boards you can buy at the grocery store if you really don't want any fingers or to ever have another sharp knife. She believes all sauces and foods should be thin/runny (including chili and mashed potatoes). She actually chastised another DIL for making the mashed potatoes too thick once (they were perfect IMO). She cross contaminates like she wants us all six feet under. Cooked ribs go back on the platter she transported them to the grill with! And she always frosts her cakes while they're still hot and then complains that the recipe for the frosting must have been bad.

Me, on the other hand? I have no bad habits. Ha! Just kidding. I'm a real slob.
Too funny!

My knives are dull and I use boullion cubes.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourgirl View Post
Too funny!

My knives are dull and I use boullion cubes.
What's wrong with bouillon cubes? you'd be surprised how many chefs use them! (kinda like box wines...)
Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Good to know.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Here's why Suzi will never be able to cook professionally.

I cry when someone isn't in love with dinner (ie, DH says pass the salt, I'm upset)

I CANNOT keep food off my shirt, even if I'm not eating!
Otherwise I'd love to try... but those are pretty big ones!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
What's wrong with bouillon cubes? you'd be surprised how many chefs use them! (kinda like box wines...)
Ah, wine-in-a-box and bouillon cubes. Not so bad. I think I have to confess my horrible guilty pleasure now...

Imitation Crabmeat. I know, I know, but I don't use it in place of real crabmeat. I just like to eat it as a snack for myself. I hide it in the bottom of the crisper drawer under the produce so no one sees it...
Old 01-31-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Sous Chef

All FOODIES are welcome. They are of the mind that good food is great food, it's all going the same place anyhow.

Food SNOBS, OTOH, sit at the children's table. No matter how fine something is created they have always had better, and they talk about the perfect this or that. Come to think, do I want to expose children to this behavior?