"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #31
Head Chef

Thanks Mav. But without quibbling over which sense (sight or smell) takes precedence, I think most of the time we see the food first, before we get close enough to actually smell it. :-)

Old 02-02-2008, 03:19 AM   #32
Master Chef

Viewer Advisory: Graphic nose hair warning

OK, what the heck if you can't laugh at yourself:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EatWithMyNose.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	3391  

Old 02-02-2008, 03:22 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quick note: Ever walked by a restaurant and smelled the delicious food? Or walked into your home as the spouse/significant other was cooking supper? Great smells, but haven't actually seen the food yet... I guess it just depends on the circumstances, in our case it is smelled throughout the house long before it is ever seen presented on the table to be seen.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
OK, what the heck if you can't laugh at yourself:
Hey, I'll laugh along with you! Thanks for the visual!

Barbara
Old 02-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #35
Senior Cook

I rarely keep common ingredients (especially those with short shelf lives) on hand.
If a dish doesn't have an allium in it, I probably didn't make it.
I can recite a half dozen dessert recipes off the top of my head but not a single entree.
I've got pans with all sorts of high-tech coatings and made from space age materials, but 90% of my cooking is done in cast iron.
I make rash, "lowbrow" substitutions (usually by necessity). Chalk this one up as "poor planning" in most cases.
I work from midnight to eight AM, so I'm only ever cooking for one.
I usually wear soccer sandals in the kitchen.
I have patience enough to whisk a curd or sauce to completion but have a tendency to push faster procedures too fast.

But you know what they say, "If you can't wok the wok, don't toque the toque."
Old 02-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

Uh oh, food snob here, my knives are razor sharp, I keep a good steel in the drawer and a few strokes every few days keeps them sharp. My Vegetables are cut like a machine did it and food plated carefully as though each course is a work of art. I cook with the same wine I drink. When I serve guests I try to always have five courses and a properly set table, I use linen napkins. I have three sets of dishes so the color of the food doesn't clash with the color of the china. I don't have a television and have never watched a 'cooking show' so at least that hasn't influenced me to be more ridiculous than I already am about food. Presentation isn't everything but it's important.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

tossing in my 2 cents: not all dishes require symmetrically cut veggies, nor do they require oddly angled cuts. lots of different dishes, lots of different techniques.
the reason for making thing evenly sized is so that they finish cooking at the same time. but as far as shape goes, well that's up to the dish at hand.

you wouldn't want to put big, chunky, angular veggies inside a fish to roast, because the fish will be dry by the time the veggies are done. conversely, if you put thinly sliced veggies into a stew, they'll disintegrate into it.
the latter isn't as bad as the former, but you get my point.

as far as snobbery goes: i am a "food snob" when i go out to eat, and i prefer family/home style at home. that is, i like to eat fancy stuff presented well in a restaurant, but a "serve yourself from the pots on the stove" at home kinda meal suits me just as well.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by che'mark View Post
I have three sets of dishes so the color of the food doesn't clash with the color of the china.
Wow.

Lee
Old 02-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #39
Sous Chef

We eat first with our eyes?

Yes, we do.

When I wrote how 'it's all going the same place anyway' I didn't mean I didn't / don't care if the food I prepare looks like or is presented as barf.

I think food cooked well presents itself. And it's not like I slop food on the plate.

For me it's form following function. My cupboard has Pyrex, Coral, some Jadite, other stuff. China is kept in the hutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by che'mark View Post
I don't have a television and have never watched a 'cooking show' so at least that hasn't influenced me to be more ridiculous than I already am about food.
No TV? Lucky you, (story left out).
Old 02-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #40
Head Chef

I cooked professionally for 45 years and I am now widowed and If I can get it on my plate good enough. I do not dislike fancy food ""Gourmet"" etc.but simple foods please me more now.