"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Barbara, do you think they have raised the sodium level, or are you developing a sensitive taste towards it?
I know you asked Barbara, but I have noticed that as I get older I become more sensitive to the taste of salt.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll take any answers, Z

Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #13
Head Chef

Just playing Devil's Advocate here...Remember that the sodium content is for the whole 1/2 cup sreving. When you put it in a dish you would divide that amount by the number of servings to see how much salt you are getting. Having said that , yes, canned soups do have too much sodium as a general rule. I have in the past sauteed mushrooms and made a nice thick white sauce (with some nice black pepper) and used it to achieve the same results that I can get from a can of soup. But let's face it, for us baby boomers there is just nothing exactly like that little red and white can of soup thrown in a casserole or over a hunk of meat. It's in our blood, like rock and roll.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never been much of a salt user/eater so I notice the saltiness of many foods. Triscuits just put me over the edge. I just can't eat them. Never have been able to because they taste like pure salt to me.

As for canned and such, even the lower sodium ones seem salty to me, but that's just me.

I've never been one to use a lot of canned and/or processed foods in my cooking, so I suppose the salt content of those products has never been an issue.

The salt shaker? Well, a box of salt lasts forever in our house. When I cook I usually add half the salt as required by a recipe and go up from there if the dish seems to need more. Most of the time it doesn't.

After Buck was diagnosed with high blood pressure, I paid even more attention to the salt content of what we ate.

My current husband doesn't have any high blood pressure issues, but I still haven't changed my way of doing things and he seems fine with the way things taste and he seldom adds extra salt to what I serve.

My daddy, a doctor, always said I could go on a salt-free diet and never notice the difference. He may have been right.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Head Chef

Does anybody know why so many products include so much salt? I try to purchase salt free everything, and it is difficult to find products without salt. When you do find them, they are higher priced than unsalted.

I quit buying cream soups as an ingredient years ago when I decided to reduce salt intake. Now I make my own with heavy cream and dried mushrooms, asparagus stems, etc. I seldom add salt, and when I do, it is in very small amounts. I find that I don't miss it.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Watching your sodium intake has about 1% to do with what comes out of your salt shaker. It's the other 99% that comes out of a can / box / bag / jar / drive-through / takeout container that needs to be monitored closely.
I agree, I was looking at serving sizes on my seasoning salts last night. They say 1/4 teaspoon for a serving, I use nothing close to that.

I was pleased when I was able to create today's meals with less than 1000mg of sodium from mostly canned goods. Seemes I purchased wisely!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, I noticed most bread recipes contain salt, I believe as a preservative? Just curious if you reduce the salt in your baking or if there is an alternative.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Katie, I noticed most bread recipes contain salt, I believe as a preservative? Just curious if you reduce the salt in your baking or if there is an alternative.
Salt in bread has a specific use, it stops the yeast growth. There is not that much salt in most breads, you could probably cut it in half.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, there isn't much. That's why I wondered if it could be left out altogether or cut back. Not that I wanted to, just curious. So it serves a dual purpose then? retarding the yeast growth and preserving?
I remember one time I made a salty loaf. My guess was that I grabbed the 1-1/2 TBS when I should have grabbed the tsp. It was way too salty to eat even by my standards. I've found that I rarely salt or pepper food anymore though. Even if I don't cook it in most cases it is just fine the way it is. I wouldn't say I have an aversion to salt, just that I don't use as much as I used to. And I love Triscuit crackers!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Yes, there isn't much. That's why I wondered if it could be left out altogether or cut back. Not that I wanted to, just curious. So it serves a dual purpose then? retarding the yeast growth and preserving?
I remember one time I made a salty loaf. My guess was that I grabbed the 1-1/2 TBS when I should have grabbed the tsp. It was way too salty to eat even by my standards. I've found that I rarely salt or pepper food anymore though. Even if I don't cook it in most cases it is just fine the way it is. I wouldn't say I have an aversion to salt, just that I don't use as much as I used to. And I love Triscuit crackers!
The resident commercial baker (Shrek) says it wouldn't make any difference if you left out the salt. Your loaf might be a bit bigger but it wouldn't collapse or anything like that from over extension of the yeast.