My Love Affair is Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a search on potassium bicarbonate (and incidently, I was well aware that sodium bicarbonate was baking soda--I guess I didn't clarify that baking soda = sodium bicarbonate).

Anyway, from what I learned at Google U this morning, potassium bicarbonate does produce the same results when you substitute it for bp when you bake. And, there are places online where you can order it. I'm going to look when I go to Chicago and also at some bulk stores here before I go. I'd never thought about subbing it out, but would like to sub it out for my folks. One of the few things my father does make is "tomato soup" and he adds bp to it.

I didn't realize that bp had the rda re: sodium in one teaspoon. My banana bread recipe uses twice that amount...

I did a search on potassium bicarbonate (and incidently, I was well aware that sodium bicarbonate was baking soda--I guess I didn't clarify that baking soda = sodium bicarbonate).

...I didn't realize that bp had the rda re: sodium in one teaspoon. My banana bread recipe uses twice that amount...

Are you referring to baking powder or baking soda?

CWS4322 said:
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but 1 TSP (yup, teaspoon) of baking soda used to contain more than 1000 mg of sodium. I don't know if anything has been done to reduce that amount. A substitute is potassium bicarbonate. Your pharmacy might be able to get that for you. I've never seen a "sodium reduced" baking soda. Has anyone? And, I have no idea if potassium bicarbonate behaves the same was as sodium bicarbonate (now, I'm way over my head!).

There is a sodium free baking soda and BP too. They are available online. Not sure if I am allowed to put websites on the thread so if anyone wants the web address send me a PM. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom