"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

My elderly parents are both heart patients. When I go to MN, I am horrified by how many cans of soup are in their pantry. The sodium in most canned foods is horrible, but canned soup is awful re: sodium levels. Good for you to drop cream of mushroom soup from your diet--you can make it from scratch quite easily (and so much tastier <g>). I have tried to show them how to make meals, e.g., wild rice/broccoli/chicken casserole, homemade soup from chicken bones, to no avail. The fact I know how to cook is not because my mother taught me <g>. I always make sure I leave about 3 months of stuff in the freezer, including lots of soup. And, a schedule of when they are to eat what I've made, when to take stuff out of the freezer to thaw, etc. I return 5-6 months later and much of the stuff I made is still there--"we were waiting to eat it when you came back." My mother has dementia and my father can't cook (won't--he's very intelligent, he just doesn't believe he should cook--that's my mother's job). So they rely on canned soup for lunch (and packaged foods--Hamburger Helper, etc.) all the time. I wish they would not...drives me MAD. And, why I try not to use prepared foods unless I can't help it (I guess I could've bought a fresh coconut for the avocado ice cream except where I am, there is only one grocery store and the produce department is sadly lacking...often I can't buy celery because the store doesn't have any, I've never seen coconuts there). And, with fuel prices, I couldn't justify driving 30 minutes to buy one coconut...Maybe this belongs under VENT?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I am a Campbells Soup fanatic with the Golden Mushroom being my very favorite.

Leave it all up to Barbara to let us all in on the Sodium content.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Salt makes your mouth water, so my theory is that this gives you the impression that what you are eating has this effect on you. Salty flavors are picked up by the tastebuds and work with the ion channels. Supposedly, this creates some sort of electrical charge that travels through cell membranes.
I'm in way over my head, here. But I have read articles to this effect.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My sodium limit is 1000mg/day...I have to be very careful! Watching the sodium in the chocolate...yikes!
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but 1 TSP (yup, teaspoon) of baking soda used to contain more than 1000 mg of sodium. I don't know if anything has been done to reduce that amount. A substitute is potassium bicarbonate. Your pharmacy might be able to get that for you. I've never seen a "sodium reduced" baking soda. Has anyone? And, I have no idea if potassium bicarbonate behaves the same was as sodium bicarbonate (now, I'm way over my head!).
Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #35
Head Chef

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Not much you can do to remove the sodium.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #36
Head Chef

I have no evidence to support it, but firmly believe that salt has addictive properties... in that those who use it a lot need it to achieve the "taste" they are used to...

And that if most people stopped salting their foods for a month, and tried to do a low salt menu.... at the end of the month if they returned to previous levels they would call their food too salty.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #37
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I suppose this means all the rest of the cream of soups are just as doomed.
Yep....

Several manufacturers are making lower sodium soups, but sodium is not always the only "bad" thing in canned soups. And as we Americans age, we really need to be mindful of what's in what we eat, if we want to be lhealthy. Doesn't mean we can't eat well and deliciously, just have to be more aware.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #38
Sous Chef

I have lots of beloved recipes that call for undiluted cream soup (I'm from MN by the way ;) ). I love the idea of making my own, but how do you substitute home made soup for condensed soup?? There would be too much liquid! Does anyone have a way to make cream soup thick like it comes in the can?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #39
Master Chef

Yes, there is way too much sodium in everything processed, including cereal and cookies. I have been trying to cut down on salt, but it is a long an slow process.
As far as home made soup. They add starch to canned soups to make it thick. You can do the same.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #40
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I have lots of beloved recipes that call for undiluted cream soup (I'm from MN by the way ;) ). I love the idea of making my own, but how do you substitute home made soup for condensed soup?? There would be too much liquid! Does anyone have a way to make cream soup thick like it comes in the can?
Skittle, you would do that by making a bechamel or white sauce. Alternatively, you could make a veloute, If you want mushroom you would saute some first and make your sauce over that.